Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:37 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I was hoping there'd be a link to the news article or the WCPSS press release.
Ask and you shall receive...

Wake schools cut bus stops, routes :: WRAL.com

This is the article I was referring to that is not accurate about the walking distance for elementary schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
here's the newspaper article

Wake County announces school bus changes for 2014-15 school year | Wake Ed Blog | NewsObserver.com

here's the WCPSS release, from within the news article:

New transportation practices for 2014-15 school year — WCPSS Blog

Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
well, it's 3/10 mile to a stop, not the total walk. if WRAL made that mistake, I'd be surprised if it wasn't pointed out already.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, it's 3/10 mile to a stop, not the total walk. if WRAL made that mistake, I'd be surprised if it wasn't pointed out already.
I read the policy on the WCPSS to clarify it. I have no idea if it was pointed out to WRAL. The reason I mentioned that it was not accurate was because I originally quoted their number here thinking we should have a bus stop. I did not want to mislead anyone on here who was questioning if they should have a bus service.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,367 times
We still have our stop, and if the time estimates posted are to be believed, it will be later in the morning, and earlier in the afternoon, which would be great. Last year my elementary kids weren't getting home until 5 o'clock by the end of the year (3:45 dismissal time).

Old 08-19-2014, 12:19 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I just read an article on WRAL's website stating the minimum distance for busing is three tenths of a mile for elementary schools so the routes/stops I noticed, including mine are more than that.

I just checked the routes again, they do have our stop for pick up on a different route from the other stop in the neighborhood, but there is no afternoon drop off for our stop (on any route)...
The minimum distance to GET A BUS is 1.5 miles. If you live more than 1.5 miles from your school you get a bus.

The maximum walk distance to a stop is .3 miles for elementary and .5 moles for middle and high school.

If your bus stop is more than .3 miles away for elementary or more tha. .5 miles for middle or high school you need to let the county know ASAP.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:04 PM

525 posts, read 1,297,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Yes it is. I actually accused them of not applying this policy fairly, (because we know many people who live within 1.5 miles and still have service), but they continue to insist it's being applied to everyone within a 1.5 mile radius.
They definitely did not apply any of the policies fairly. My large neighborhood shares ONE bus stop with the other large neighborhood next door. It's chaos! There are like 10 parents who drive to the stop (this is elementary), and there are kids everywhere. One stop for 2 entire neighborhoods.

Meanwhile, in a friend's Holly Springs neighborhood, the bus stops 6 times in the span of 1.5 miles. This is on the new 2014-2015 route. Her stop (right in front of her house) is only .1 miles from the stop before, and then it stops again .2 miles after that. So we have 20-some kids from 2 neighborhoods sharing a stop, when others are basically getting door-to-door service.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:14 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,986,229 times
I don't understand the part about having to be more than 1.5 mi away to even get a bus. Is that just for middle/high schoolers, or elementary too?

No way younger elementary students can be expected to walk that far. We're about .5-.6 mi away from our elementary as the crow flies and we have transportation, even if the route doesn't make much sense. Just don't see how they could expect base school kids to have to be driven to school.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:47 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,188 times
Quote:
No way younger elementary students can be expected to walk that far. We're about .5-.6 mi away from our elementary as the crow flies and we have transportation, even if the route doesn't make much sense. Just don't see how they could expect base school kids to have to be driven to school.
I walked .7 miles to school in elementary school. Carrying a violin. Uphill in the snow (seriously). Ok, it was downhill on the way home, but you get the idea.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:09 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
Meanwhile, in a friend's Holly Springs neighborhood, the bus stops 6 times in the span of 1.5 miles. This is on the new 2014-2015 route. Her stop (right in front of her house) is only .1 miles from the stop before, and then it stops again .2 miles after that. So we have 20-some kids from 2 neighborhoods sharing a stop, when others are basically getting door-to-door service.
Hate to say it but it's kind like that in my neighborhood. I thought for sure thee eliminate one or two stops but no. Additionally the way they route the buses through my nabe and the adjoining one makes no sense for elementary and high school. The middle school route is ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary