Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:32 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,192,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
The two people who were arrested are from North Raleigh, and I'm sure nothing will be made of that. But I'll bet you a (good) pizza that if they had been from Durham, people would be all up in arms.
Drug deal gone bad.

Guess they figured nobody would be looking for drug transactions in a utopia like Cary.

Now, in my area, PD is very alert for such activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 09:44 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,493,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Thanks for sharing. My concern about any crime stats is the quality of the data - i.e. they are lumping together all crimes. I think tracking or discussing certain types of crimes would be more telling. i know they do it, every dept does. It seems that we hear more about car break ins and strong arm robberies than I recall from the past. I have mentioned before that drugs are big in many HS's. And not the old marijuana the parents of today's kids think of when they hear of drugs in HS. When these kids need money for drugs they are breaking into cars and houses. I wouldn't be surprised if these crimes have increased.

Also, it's all in how the dept reports their crime.......
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html

There's the link that breaks it down. It doesn't include drug arrests in the data, but you can see the rate for the types of crime.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be vigilant, and I think that citizens in an outrage and putting real pressure on the police force to solve the recent spate of crimes is a good thing.

And, since your interested in teenage drug use, here is Data from the CDC. Pot use is up, everything else remains the same. Drinking is down as well. The difference is that with the press of the send button, texting and social media can make mountains of molehills.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/yrbs...trend_yrbs.pdf

IF you really worry about your kids, worry about them texting/talking/checking the phone while driving. Seriously, in this day and age, that's the most likely decision they will make in which they don't appreciate the consequences.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:29 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,328,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Thanks for sharing. My concern about any crime stats is the quality of the data - i.e. they are lumping together all crimes. I think tracking or discussing certain types of crimes would be more telling. i know they do it, every dept does. It seems that we hear more about car break ins and strong arm robberies than I recall from the past. I have mentioned before that drugs are big in many HS's. And not the old marijuana the parents of today's kids think of when they hear of drugs in HS. When these kids need money for drugs they are breaking into cars and houses. I wouldn't be surprised if these crimes have increased.

Also, it's all in how the dept reports their crime.......
I said the same thing in the other thread. It is the types of crimes that concern me most. Not that there are crimes. I know there are crimes.

If there's a decrease in teenagers vandalizing abandoned warehouses and toilet papering houses and an increase in murders and home invasions, I am gonna care more about that than about lumping it all together and saying "crime is going down!"

Old 09-19-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Drug deal gone bad.

Guess they figured nobody would be looking for drug transactions in a utopia like Cary.

Now, in my area, PD is very alert for such activity.
Well, to be frank, the area where that deal started isn't exactly the 18th hole at Prestonwood.

I'm quite certain there are no mansions on Park.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html

There's the link that breaks it down. It doesn't include drug arrests in the data, but you can see the rate for the types of crime.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be vigilant, and I think that citizens in an outrage and putting real pressure on the police force to solve the recent spate of crimes is a good thing.

And, since your interested in teenage drug use, here is Data from the CDC. Pot use is up, everything else remains the same. Drinking is down as well. The difference is that with the press of the send button, texting and social media can make mountains of molehills.

IF you really worry about your kids, worry about them texting/talking/checking the phone while driving. Seriously, in this day and age, that's the most likely decision they will make in which they don't appreciate the consequences.
If you analyze that data (and I'd love to see the 2013 numbers and this year's numbers when they're released), you'll see that (in general) stuff like theft (including auto theft) was driving the higher numbers. Not rape. Rape went double digits over 10 years ago and has stayed double digit ever since. I assume auto theft has gone down in part because cars are becoming harder to steal while they're parked. Carjackings might go up again, who knows?

Interesting that you can see an increase in arson and burglary right around the beginning through the height of the recession.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:47 PM

9,152 posts, read 14,799,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Well, to be frank, the area where that deal started isn't exactly the 18th hole at Prestonwood.

I'm quite certain there are no mansions on Park.
What? Everywhere in Cary the houses are all McMansions with manicured lawns and the streets are paved with gold. Oops, maybe something not quite as garish, silver perhaps? At least that's what "they" say.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:12 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,493,674 times
Quote:
If you analyze that data (and I'd love to see the 2013 numbers and this year's numbers when they're released), you'll see that (in general) stuff like theft (including auto theft) was driving the higher numbers. Not rape. Rape went double digits over 10 years ago and has stayed double digit ever since. I assume auto theft has gone down in part because cars are becoming harder to steal while they're parked. Carjackings might go up again, who knows?

Interesting that you can see an increase in arson and burglary right around the beginning through the height of the recession.
Yep...I have a close friend who is an insurance agent, and he said that claims noticeably increased during the recession, including fires. Arson is tough to prove...

Old 09-19-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yep...I have a close friend who is an insurance agent, and he said that claims noticeably increased during the recession, including fires. Arson is tough to prove...
I used to read stories about people who'd burn their high-dollar autos in canyons out in California, so I can only assume they were doing it here. No high payments anymore!

Old 09-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
What? Everywhere in Cary the houses are all McMansions with manicured lawns and the streets are paved with gold. Oops, maybe something not quite as garish, silver perhaps? At least that's what "they" say.
What? I was out plucking the gold leaf off the garage door.

What did I miss?

Old 09-19-2014, 04:19 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,684,605 times
Quote:
What? I was out plucking the gold leaf off the garage door.

What did I miss?

Silly you. Leave that for the 'help'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary