Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:25 PM

637 posts, read 1,059,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Is it right to stay put somewhere you're unhappy with, knowing there's something better simply because you've done it before and things didn't work out the first time? No second chances?
If you can't identify specifically WHY you moved the first time, then identify specifically WHY things are different now and HOW you will be able to absolutely positively guarantee they won't change back again and map out the reasoning, then it's better to stay right where you are, and work on it.

With anything less than that as a solution in place, you are destined to repeat your misery regardless of how many chances you are given, at a financial and emotional cost to all involved.

You cited the job you had as the reason you were miserable, yet something inside you decided that it was easier to leave the state than to just search for another job while you were already here. What has changed inside you that guarantees you won't hate the next job even more, decide it's a case of home sickness again, and decide you want to move again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 06:27 PM

22,693 posts, read 36,875,727 times
promise I'm not a stalker, but reading your post history, when you were looking to move 5 years ago you were throwing darts all over the map. There has to be something about an area that appeals to who you intrinsically are. You can't just say "I'm not happy here so somewhere else will be better". You already tried that, and blamed the place. Then moved again, and again blame the place. Friend, it ain't the place. Trust me.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:30 PM

715 posts, read 890,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
promise I'm not a stalker, but reading your post history, when you were looking to move 5 years ago you were throwing darts all over the map. There has to be something about an area that appeals to who you intrinsically are. You can't just say "I'm not happy here so somewhere else will be better". You already tried that, and blamed the place. Then moved again, and again blame the place. Friend, it ain't the place. Trust me.
Very smart advice

Old 10-22-2014, 08:17 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,111,716 times
Egads. Just move. I can barely believe the advice you're getting.

The kids will be fine.

I moved mine here when they were 5 and 12. The 12-year-old claimed a bedroom, and that was that. She was going to stay back home with a relative for three months to finish out the school year, but she had no interest in that. She just wanted to be in NC.

Now is the time for you to move back.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,131,596 times
what does your family think about moving back? Did your kids like it here? Was there an area that your family might like better than where you originally were? Kids are resilient, they'll be fine.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:28 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,188,814 times
This area is now turning into the piece of junk you said you were escaping when you last came here.

The rotten state legislature is ruining schools and their bribing companies to relocate to already overstressed areas has created a mess in education, taxes, roads, etc.

If you didn't like this area before, not much chance of liking it now. The 2016 elections may flush out the losers now running NC. Reconsider then if you still want to rerun here.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:56 AM

8 posts, read 13,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazellect View Post
Moving kids back and forth isn't a great thing to do IMHO and I wouldn't do it at all again unless you are 100% sure you will stay in NC and not uproot kids again. Your children are at the ages where friendship and fitting in are important to their well being.
Totally agree. You must consider a lot of things when deciding to move out or not. You have to rethink all over and over again. Bear in mind that your family is moving out because it is better for all of you - not just for you or your wife alone, but most of all, it is for the betterment of your kids.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,739,319 times
I can relate to your plight. I moved my poor family around the country chasing a dream. My wife and kids were very gracious at first, but our last experience hurt us all. My wife and kids were constantly having to make new friends and the frequent moves created stresses I was unaware of. I didn't realize how much my family was affected until we moved back to where we left and my wanderlust started to kick in again. At that point they all said I could move, but it would be without them! In talking with them now (that they are older and past high school) the thing they wanted/needed most was stability, especially during those teen years. I didn't give them a choice, often presenting each move as a new "opportunity." My advice to you would be to really have the talk with your family about the possibility of moving back to NC. Let everyone express their honest feelings about the matter and then decide. I nearly destroyed my family through my selfishness and wouldn't wish that on anyone! I do understand wanting to put your family in the best position for the future, though. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2014, 04:46 AM

22,693 posts, read 36,875,727 times
^^^i think this is the key. Moving is one thing and yes kids will recover. Constantly moving because one person is another. The kids are probably always going to be on edge. And it is not one move. This would be the 3rd move in 3 years for really no good reason.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:00 AM

351 posts, read 694,495 times
Just wanted to add in my two cents of agreement with what some of the posters are saying. Ask your family what they want to do. Kids will adjust as will you and your wife. If she and the kids want to move back to NC, then there's your answer. If you are miserable in FL for more reasons than homesick, then it's worth it. You were homesick in NC and you moved back without giving NC more of a chance. You moved back to where you felt miserable in FL. Now you know why. That was an impulsive move, but now you have had time to think. So, don't second guess yourself. You made a mistake, you can correct it. Make sure this time your family is involved in the decision making and compromise where disagreements occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary