Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 AM

223 posts, read 314,796 times

Advertisements

I especially notice this on my drive up and down creedmoor road north of the outer belt, but it's everywhere. It's like there is always some sort of trash in view. It gets pretty ridiculous.

What in the world is going on? Plenty of the places I see tons of trash are otherwise extremely nice areas. I struggle to believe that this never-ending trash comes from people just throwing stuff out their windows; partly because I've never witnessed someone doing it, and partly because I don't want to believe that so many people would be that careless and ignorant.

Anybody know what's going on with this? I kind of just started noticing it recently. If it was there before, I don't even know how I could have missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Is there any construction going on in the area? Sorry to say, I sometimes see trash bouncing out of the beds of work trucks. It is the wrong time of year for landscapers, but sometimes them, too. Also, some of the residential trash haulers are not that detail oriented when they close up their covered trucks.

Our area has a couple of times a year when neighborhood folks get out and walk the edges of the road. It needs to be organized though, with safety vests etc so the pickers don't get squashed.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:16 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
I think it's worse this time of year because the various groups that do roadside clean ups aren't out in the winter. It's definitely noticeable.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:48 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,029,688 times
the last year I've lived in downtown Raleigh and Garner. Same issue with trash in edge of yard. Day after Thanksgiving I found 20+ Swanson frozen turkey bags. My SO was so mad,he called the company which wouldn't take any responsibility how they became scattered in my front yard. In that case they probably fell out a delivery truck,but most of it in both locations was from the trash trucks. I've seen some conscientious workers but the ones on my routes just let trash fly everywhere. I also live on an access road to hwy 70 and I'm sure it's the same people that chunk stuff out the window before they hit the main road. I find lots of blunt wrappers,beer cans and the occasional dirty diaper. YUCK!

Old 01-02-2015, 01:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,351 times
It's bad out here too. When my family came to visit this spring from WI, the first comment as we were driving from the airport back out here to Clayton up Smithfield road was, "There sure is a lot of trash on the roads".
I was quite embarrassed. I think a lot of it is from people driving by. We even have it in our subdivision and on the walking trails, making me believe people even trash their own neighborhood. Sad

Old 01-02-2015, 01:54 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times
We took a trip to North Carolina and Georgia a few years back and noticed the same thing. In fact, I wrote an email to the Governor of NC asking why no trash pick up along the roads. Never heard back but it sure was noticeable. Too bad , you have such a beautiful State.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:55 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
I especially notice this on my drive up and down creedmoor road north of the outer belt, but it's everywhere. It's like there is always some sort of trash in view. It gets pretty ridiculous.

What in the world is going on? Plenty of the places I see tons of trash are otherwise extremely nice areas. I struggle to believe that this never-ending trash comes from people just throwing stuff out their windows; partly because I've never witnessed someone doing it, and partly because I don't want to believe that so many people would be that careless and ignorant.

Anybody know what's going on with this? I kind of just started noticing it recently. If it was there before, I don't even know how I could have missed it.
Well I HAVE seen individuals throw stuff out their windows. Way more than I would like to see and that is sad. Last week I was behind this junky car at a stoplight and the passenger in the back seat just tossed his Wendy's cup out the window. What the heck, people!

That being said, I would probably say most of it comes out of the back of pickups and work trucks. So many of them do not secure everything in their beds and light things like paper and cardboard can fly out of there pretty easily. Many of those workers don't seem to give-a-you-know-what, either. It's just ignorance all-around, though, and that's just what you get with some people.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:07 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,427 times
As lamishra said there are certainly less people doing road side clean up this time of year. Also the lack of leaves on the trees, the short grass and no flowers this time of year makes it stick out more. I does feel though that I see a lot more full bags of fast food on the side of the road which has to be a deliberate toss from people. That's pretty gross.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:33 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
Take a ride in the NYC/NJ area and see what bad practices may be coming here.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:13 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,720,599 times
Yes...those of us with sections of highway have a little more difficulty finding good days to go out but IT IS GETTING WORSE.

I was so disgusted with an intersection at Ghoston and New Light that in 25 minutes I filled three DOT bags! You would not believe what the people leave that fish from the bridge..about 10 canisters. I was bummed to see that the group that had it had given it up . .I imagine this section could be a full-time job!

It's up to us folks . .with the growing population it's only going to get worse.

Please consider adopting a section of highway through the DOT . .they only ask you to go out each quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary