Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:59 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,818,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
I've seen it, to be sure, but I don't think I've seen it in this area yet. And if we are complaining of trash on the road, it would seem as if it doesn't happen often enough.
I've definitely seen inmates cleaning the highway on 54 heading out toward Alamance County a few times. Can't remember if they were in Alamance or Orange County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 05:46 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,036,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
I don't have anything to add other than, have you all noticed that it's quite often Bojangle's trash? I swear, Bojangle's patrons must be the trashiest people, it seems to be half the trash I see on the side of the road.

What really drives me nuts is I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, yet I still find trash in my front yard, at a corner lot (not a school bus stop). Usually it's cans or wrappers.

Bojangles is very popular with people from countries that culturally do not see a problem with littering. I'm just saying,it ain't just a coincidence.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:01 PM

810 posts, read 1,451,795 times
I think that they should take all the red light cameras and put them at heavily-littered stretches of road, where they can do us some good.

The Occupy people and other protestors were pretty famous for the trash that they left. I think that since aggression against polite society has become more and more fashionable, we are going to see more and more trash.

I go pick it up once in a while. It gratifies everybody. I get great exercise (you'd be surprised all that bending and stooping), the good people get to enjoy a nice road for a while, and the bad people are pleased that they are inconveniencing (in their view) the evil responsible man. It's a win for everybody.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:32 AM

43,378 posts, read 77,299,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
NCDOT: Adopt-A-Highway Program
Please consider Adopting A Highway . .

also you can Swat-A-Litter-Bug

see someone littering..get their license plate and location and they'll send them a notice with a trash bag . .I "swatted" a smoker that tossed his bud out of the window a few days . .
I used to do this all the time. Had it on speed dial. Then I figured that these clowns would just throw the postcard out a car window, and that I may be indirectly contributing to the problem.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:24 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,375,154 times
Drove down to Fayetteville yesterday and saw inmates picking up trash in Sanford.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM

"Drove down to Fayetteville yesterday and saw inmates picking up trash in Sanford."
We don't see that nearly enough here. Maybe there aren't enough inmates.

How about this: Make it so anyone, any time, can take a big bag out to a trashed stretch of roadway, fill it up, and leave it in a visible place. Make it so the garbage services have a civic responsibility to pick the bags up when they go by, or else. It won't kill them. There won't be many bags to stop for.

That'll open up a whole range of occasionally-motivated citizens, school field days, bored teenagers, all kinds of people. It would be a drag to put that yucky trash in the car and take it home for your own garbage man.

I know that there's an adopt-a-highway system but a formal system like that is a wall to guerrilla do-gooders like me. To do that, you have to watch videos, make a quota, fill out reports....please.

I can just see myself getting arrested for unlicensed roadside cleaning....

Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Then when I'm arrested I can be an inmate and pick up trash....

Old 01-09-2015, 11:21 AM

135 posts, read 163,109 times
I got a good laugh out of the thought of bored teenagers choosing to end their boredom by performing manual labor cleaning up something they didn't create...We'd be happy if ours just kept their rooms clean!

Seriously though, I'm sure there are some teens who might do it...probably more likely if it was an organized setup where they could get some volunteer hours (looks good to colleges) or possibly a Boy Scout could set it up as part of their Eagle Scout project...

Old 01-10-2015, 09:13 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,317,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
I especially notice this on my drive up and down creedmoor road north of the outer belt, but it's everywhere. It's like there is always some sort of trash in view. It gets pretty ridiculous.

What in the world is going on? Plenty of the places I see tons of trash are otherwise extremely nice areas. I struggle to believe that this never-ending trash comes from people just throwing stuff out their windows; partly because I've never witnessed someone doing it, and partly because I don't want to believe that so many people would be that careless and ignorant.

Anybody know what's going on with this? I kind of just started noticing it recently. If it was there before, I don't even know how I could have missed it.
This is a common phenomenon in NC.. It's nothing but plain laziness.. It's also ironic that a population with so many pickup trucks would be hesitant to haul trash to the dump.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
This is a common phenomenon in NC.. It's nothing but plain laziness..
No. There is an element of malevolence there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary