Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:39 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,569,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
That comes out to about $136 a month in tolls if commuting to 5 days a week. I get the time vs. money trade-off, but I would probably look into using the toll money for a home closer to where I work.
Not saying I disagree with you, but people live where they do for a multitude of reasons. I would say that $136 a month might not be the difference in mortgage from a house in Holly Springs vs. Morrisville or west Cary. Add in the fuel savings by getting much better mileage and that $136 a month, could turn into more like $90-$100 a month extra. It also depends if you have a spouse and he/she works as well and has a better commute by living in HS vs. Morissville.

I don't use it too often, but I will always pay $3.72 round trip from Apex to I-40 when going to the airport, Brier Creek, other areas of north Raleigh. Less traffic lights, less stopping/idling and less aggravation. It's the most pleasant freeway I have ever driven on. Plus, I'm bound to save at least $1-$1.50 in fuel cost with getting better mileage and it's also a slightly shorter distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 09:00 AM

11,231 posts, read 8,322,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Not saying I disagree with you, but people live where they do for a multitude of reasons. I would say that $136 a month might not be the difference in mortgage from a house in Holly Springs vs. Morrisville or west Cary. Add in the fuel savings by getting much better mileage and that $136 a month, could turn into more like $90-$100 a month extra. It also depends if you have a spouse and he/she works as well and has a better commute by living in HS vs. Morissville.

I don't use it too often, but I will always pay $3.72 round trip from Apex to I-40 when going to the airport, Brier Creek, other areas of north Raleigh. Less traffic lights, less stopping/idling and less aggravation. It's the most pleasant freeway I have ever driven on. Plus, I'm bound to save at least $1-$1.50 in fuel cost with getting better mileage and it's also a slightly shorter distance.
Well stated. There is some cost, but some (much) of it may be justified. It's very situation-specific, and at the end of the day people can decide if it makes sense for them or not.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:14 AM

748 posts, read 1,377,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
Do yourself a favor and get the pass. In just 2 of those occasion trips it will be paid for because of the discounted rate. The other good thing is that you don't have to worry about missing the bill by mail. If you don't pay that thing on time or forget about it, the late fees are insanity. There are a few threads somewhere about that.
Thats exactly what we are going to do! We do a lot of road trips so this may help in other places too!

Old 01-23-2015, 11:26 AM

135 posts, read 163,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
Good point.

It's also nice to hear that the DOT thought ahead and overbuilt the road. Kudos to them.

Maybe it was optimistic on my part that we'd get a great road, built for the future, with moderate tolls.

I know this has been discussed in other places, but I'd even be happy for some sort of tolling based on the time of day. Something like full price at rush hour, 75% during the day, 50% on weekends. I really only drive it when I do out of a sense of civic responsibility. If it cost less, I'd use it more.
Some of the toll roads in VA are doing that now...The "HOT" (High Occupancy Toll) lanes for the VA Beltway (495) vary their rates based on current traffic. Heavier traffic (on the main road) will cause higher tolls for the HOT lanes...it ensures they don't get too crowded so traffic moves well there. For carpools / families, etc. the newest transponder has a switch you can flip if you have 3 or more in your car and then they don't charge you toll. I understand they check occupancy with cameras...Those lanes require an EZPass to use them...

Old 01-23-2015, 12:19 PM

160 posts, read 235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Thats exactly what we are going to do! We do a lot of road trips so this may help in other places too!
We have the transponder.

We drive to New England about once a year. I'm amazed how much time we save heading up 95 now that we can go through the EZPass lanes. We've estimated it's 30 minutes to an hour on drive up. It was really nice

Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 AM

9 posts, read 66,676 times
From what I know, a typical EZ Pass unit has a monthly fee of $1, is that right?

Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,284,425 times
No $1 fee on my statements.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:28 PM

9,150 posts, read 14,788,124 times
NC passes you pay up front. No fee.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:13 PM

160 posts, read 235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonz View Post
Some of the toll roads in VA are doing that now...The "HOT" (High Occupancy Toll) lanes for the VA Beltway (495) vary their rates based on current traffic. Heavier traffic (on the main road) will cause higher tolls for the HOT lanes...it ensures they don't get too crowded so traffic moves well there. For carpools / families, etc. the newest transponder has a switch you can flip if you have 3 or more in your car and then they don't charge you toll. I understand they check occupancy with cameras...Those lanes require an EZPass to use them...
I'd think this would work well here. Full price, or perhaps higher, during rush hour. Other times - not so much. I'd not thought about the HOV angle, but I'd be game for that too.

I'd think that this is an area where our community could be progressive.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:23 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,149,449 times
I recently got a transponder. $40 plus another $40 on account whatever that means. I have yet to use it, but am ready for a good reason. Maybe when going out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary