Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times

Advertisements

A reminder can be found below of what the Original Post is . Lets stay on topic and discuss it in a civil matter please and in full accordance with the TOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
I've been hearing a lot of talk about people feeling unsafe in durham. I am looking to relocate to Durham this summer, from Grand Rapids, Michigan. All the talk about safety issues has made me a bit uncomfortable about moving my wife and I there. But....looking at crime rates it doesnt seem to be much worse than Grand Rapids and I rarely feel unsafe here. Are people just being paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:03 PM

286 posts, read 994,110 times
Yeah thats basically how I feel. It seems like Durham's crime is very similar to any other midsize/large city.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:02 PM

Grand Rapids, Mi has something in the area of 250,000 residents. I generally think of Grand Rapids as a safe city though its crime ratings arent far off Durham's. Its kind of funny that people's talk about Durham's safety has worried me considering that I was born and raised in Flint, Mi which is (according to USA today) the 3rd most dangerous city in the country.

Also, I'm a probation officer.....so I kind of need a bit of crime to make a living

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I really think Mrs. Steel is right. I live in Durham as well and I always feel safe. It's really hard to get a feel for things from a distance, I know - I've never been to Grand Rapids but I think it's large? Odds are the crime is similar. I've lived, gone to school and/or worked in areas that seemed much less safe to me.

Would it be possible for you to take a trip to check it out first?

There are certainly areas I wouldn't live in Durham. These include areas I'd previously said I would live in (a recent scary break-in and police chase in the Cleveland-Holloway neighborhood eliminates that one for me...for now). But I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the triangle. Well, maybe Hillsborough.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:03 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
And keep in mind also that while Durham has the most crime in the Triangle, it has a lower crime rate than many many cities it's size, including within North Carolina. And the same types of crime aren't happening all over the cities. There is a concentrated area (central east).

Old 01-10-2008, 10:19 PM

Basically in the area of NCCU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
And keep in mind also that while Durham has the most crime in the Triangle, it has a lower crime rate than many many cities it's size, including within North Carolina. And the same types of crime aren't happening all over the cities. There is a concentrated area (central east).

Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
From what I've read it seems to be concentrated most on a grid of streets below Long Meadow Park, and down some towards NCCU, but I've talked to a resident of the area around NCCU and he said he feels safe on his street. It's probably a matter of patchy good and bad bits in that general area. However, it is only a part of the Durham whole. A poll done by the city this year showed that the great majority of residents felt safe in their neighborhoods.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 PM

Well I'll make the trip to Durham in a month or so and try to get a feel for what everyone is talking about. Right now I just have a few names of apartment buildings but cant say for sure if they're in good areas. Would you happen to know anything about copper mill apartments on copper ridge drive?

Old 01-11-2008, 04:10 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
One time I tripped on the curb at American Tobacco Campus in Durham and hurt my knee. It is a pretty dangerous curb!
I heart you.

Muah!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
Well I'll make the trip to Durham in a month or so and try to get a feel for what everyone is talking about. Right now I just have a few names of apartment buildings but cant say for sure if they're in good areas. Would you happen to know anything about copper mill apartments on copper ridge drive?
I don't know that one. But, I definitely recommend Pinnacle Ridge (I don't mean to sound like a schill for them, I've been talking about them lately).

I'm thrilled with this complex for the most part, it's very scenic, tons of trees and lovely landscaping. The architect was great, the apartments have a nice layout w/lots of windows. My big beef is that apparently there's steel in the walls that totally knocks out cell phone reception. Only other beef is that it takes me 15 minutes sometimes just to get to I-40 and that's annoying. But it's an easy drive to RTP, Duke, Chapel Hill.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:58 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
I have lived in both Durham and Raleigh, and currently live in Raleigh. I am about to sell my house in Raleigh and move back to Durham. Certainly not in east-central Durham, but I would just as much avoid parts of Raleigh just south and east of downtown. The crime situation in Durham is WAY overblown. In fact, just look at Durham's crime stats compared to Charlotte and you'll be pleasantly surprised (at Durham, that is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary