Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,496 times

Advertisements

We live in the same area and concede the random crime exists, but this is happening all over the Triangle. It's certainly not enough to make us move from a beautiful, wooded, established area like Forest Hills/Morehead Hill.

Also, the service problems you've encountered don't necessarily have anything to do with Durham. The garbage people can be a bit messy, but I've had excellent experiences at all of the stores you listed, except for maybe Walmart, which seems a bit run down now. Of course, I could walk in tomorrow and have a terrible experience or I could have an excellent experience at the old Walmart. Service at box stores is just unpredictable. Service from town workers can be unpredictable. This isn't exactly news.

If you're having problems at Southpoint, they have security on site to protect you from the "'hood."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericv View Post
I live in Durham, and have for 10 years. Initially I liked it. Now, my wife and I hate it and are moving out of Durham City and Durham County, hopefully in the next few months. We live close to Forest Hills, which is one of nicest neighborhoods in Durham, but it is also close to the 'hood. People walk by from the 'hood, steal anything you have lying around, go through your vehicle if it's not locked, break in your house during the day, etc. (the Durham Crimemapper proves it) We had to install an alarm system, motion lights all around the house, etc. and still don't really feel safe. Even going to Southpoint on a Friday/Saturday evening (around the movie theater) is questionable.

Even the trash/recycling workers are not very considerate, your bins are just thrown around, sometimes in the neighbors yard, loose trash and recycling laying around, etc. The customer service that you get in stores (Target, KMart, Walmart, Foodlion, etc.) is terrible, and most of the workers seem rude.

I realize this is just our experience, in our neighborhood. There are many neighborhoods that I hear are nice (Hope Valley, Woodcroft) and I don't imagine they have those problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 01:12 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience, Eric. I've heard that car break-ins are getting more frequent all over the Triangle. There've been a number of stories on the news about neighborhoods in Raleigh and Cary that have been severely hit. Sorry to hear it's happening in your area, too.

Sounds like my experiences have been far more similar to WeLoveDurham's. I frequently find myself in conversations at the store, both with the employees and with my fellow shoppers - and, no, I'm usually not the one to start these convos, but I'm happy when they spontaneously occur. Some of the employees aren't as chatty, but I that's fine. I don't take it personally, since I'm not always so chatty, either.

The crews who pick up our trash and recycling have always been fine. They make a point of flipping our recycling bins upside down just in case it rains, which I appreciate. Our bins are always found right where I left them, so I have no complaints.

Personally, I make a point of avoiding movie theaters on the weekends - Southpoint or otherwise - because they're always so busy. That was fun back when I was a teenager, but not so much anymore. Does this mean I'm getting old?
I heard recently in one of the very high-end neighborhoods near Crabtree, where someone was able to get a homeowner's garage door code, stole their car, then broke into their home and stole a lot of high end electronics. All in all, they were out about $100k.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 AM

91 posts, read 115,806 times
Exclamation Prevention is the best remedy!

If you stay in Durham you are statistically more likely to face problems. Let me highlight a few facts which might enable you to take an appropriate decision:

1. Man shot in Durham :: WRAL.com

2. http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/2223418/

3. http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1532390/

Quoted from city-data forums:

4. "Raleigh has a crime mapper also which is pretty shocking as well."

5. "You'll get no argument from me, raccemup. Durham definitely does not have the highest crime rate in the state, but it does have the highest rate in the Triangle."

6. "I live in Durham, and have for 10 years. Initially I liked it. Now, my wife and I hate it and are moving out of Durham City and Durham County, hopefully in the next few months. We live close to Forest Hills, which is one of nicest neighborhoods in Durham, but it is also close to the 'hood. People walk by from the 'hood, steal anything you have lying around, go through your vehicle if it's not locked, break in your house during the day, etc. (the Durham Crimemapper proves it) We had to install an alarm system, motion lights all around the house, etc. and still don't really feel safe. Even going to Southpoint on a Friday/Saturday evening (around the movie theater) is questionable.

Even the trash/recycling workers are not very considerate, your bins are just thrown around, sometimes in the neighbors yard, loose trash and recycling laying around, etc. The customer service that you get in stores (Target, KMart, Walmart, Foodlion, etc.) is terrible, and most of the workers seem rude.

I realize this is just our experience, in our neighborhood. There are many neighborhoods that I hear are nice (Hope Valley, Woodcroft) and I don't imagine they have those problems."

7. "We are two women looking for a home in the Durham area but have been freaked out by Durham Crime Mappers. It seems that the area near northgate mall has had around 174 assaults in the last two years. Even Woodcroft seems to have robberies, thefts from cars, etc. on more streets than not. We want to live in an active neighborhood like woodcroft, a neighborhood with character like Trinity Park, or something like these two....but also don't want to worry when we walk at night, or if we make a mistake and leave something in our car...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
I've been hearing a lot of talk about people feeling unsafe in durham. I am looking to relocate to Durham this summer, from Grand Rapids, Michigan. All the talk about safety issues has made me a bit uncomfortable about moving my wife and I there. But....looking at crime rates it doesnt seem to be much worse than Grand Rapids and I rarely feel unsafe here. Are people just being paranoid?

Last edited by Scientist27709; 02-12-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,496 times
What was the point of bumping this thread after 9 months?

Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Found the thread while googling. I consider it my duty to let others know about true facts and statistics. If a certain area has been historically unsafe to dwell, I/we have every right to say so even 9 years after a thread has been posted. We are all protected by the first amendment. Ofcourse, if the place becomes safe and nice to live in, who would ever keep stating incorrect facts for no reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
What was the point of bumping this thread after 9 months?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
Good. Fine. Anyone this uptight about it, avoid our fair city like the plague, by all means. I'd much rather the paranoid types stay in their safe, grey suburban bubbles. Strip malls, chain restaurants and HOAs as far as the eye can see! Now that's living!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:20 AM

sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Good. Fine. Anyone this uptight about it, avoid our fair city like the plague, by all means. I'd much rather the paranoid types stay in their safe, grey suburban bubbles. Strip malls, chain restaurants and HOAs as far as the eye can see! Now that's living!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist27709 View Post
If you stay in Durham you are statistically more likely to face problems.
"Statistically more likely" is really an incomplete and potentially misleading statement. Statistically more likely than where? Even when a comparison is specified, that doesn't mean that the added risk is enough to worry about. The difference between an 0.5% chance of being robbed in City A and a 1% chance in City B is probably insignificant to most people, but it can easily be spun into "You are twice as likely to be robbed in City B!"

Broad, generalized statements of risk aren't too reliable either, since they ignore localization of risk. For example, it's often stated or assumed that Raleigh is safer than Durham based on the overall crime stats we often see. But would that still hold up if I compared the central city areas of Watts Ave. in Durham's Trinity Park to the Camden St. area of Raleigh?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 AM

My friend, when I used the term "statistically more likely", I meant to compare it with other places in its viscinity. And why not, even a 0.5% increase matters to some people. For people who do not care about that extra 0.5%, they better not read what others have to say and stay in their own world.

Furthermore, it would be a joke to compare individual streets and bywalks for their relative safety. (E.g. central city areas of Watts Ave. in Durham's Trinity Park to the Camden St. area of Raleigh), because people never stay restricted to a particular road or lane where they are staying. They keep moving around the entire neighborhood, so what really matters is whether or not the neighborhood is safe as compared to other places in its viscinity. Now that's highly specific and not vague at all and this is exactly what I meant even in my previous reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
"Statistically more likely" is really an incomplete and potentially misleading statement. Statistically more likely than where? Even when a comparison is specified, that doesn't mean that the added risk is enough to worry about. The difference between an 0.5% chance of being robbed in City A and a 1% chance in City B is probably insignificant to most people, but it can easily be spun into "You are twice as likely to be robbed in City B!"

Broad, generalized statements of risk aren't too reliable either, since they ignore localization of risk. For example, it's often stated or assumed that Raleigh is safer than Durham based on the overall crime stats we often see. But would that still hold up if I compared the central city areas of Watts Ave. in Durham's Trinity Park to the Camden St. area of Raleigh?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:37 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
Broad, generalized statements of risk aren't too reliable either, since they ignore localization of risk.
Bah, that sounds like liberal claptrap.

Since I began lurking and eventually posting on this board, it's a pretty consistent meme that Durham is a cesspool, and if you live there, it's inevitable that gangbangers will eat your family. Really, though, I mean it when I say that if anyone is going to be so freaked out by a couple newstories, and what Some Guy on a Message Board has to say, then I'd rather not have such a person as my neighbor anyway.

The only people I feel bad for are those who drop by these boards seeking information, and don't have time to sort things out in their own mind before Some Guy on a Message Board's preconceived notion takes hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary