Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:54 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdonkey View Post
Google Fiber won't be here for another 18-24 months, so this isn't a bad deal if it's 1Gbps and you'll use it.

I hope it is not that long, but you're right in that you would probably be OK signing a 1 year deal with anyone right now, but Giga power is still just a paper launch with VERY limited availability. I imagine most of the area will not get it too much ahead of Google, so that's when the contracts will start to sting as people will have to commit to Google at some point in order for them to be eligible. SO, if you want Google at all in the future, you might have to pay the install fee and then sign up when your contract is up, pay the term fee or just pay two providers at the same time. Make no mistake, ATT is carefully weighing how they launch this, after a decade of promises of upgrades coming soon. They aren't rushing to give it to us out of the goodness of their hearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 05:59 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I hope it is not that long, but you're right in that you would probably be OK signing a 1 year deal with anyone right now, but Giga power is still just a paper launch with VERY limited availability. I imagine most of the area will not get it too much ahead of Google, so that's when the contracts will start to sting as people will have to commit to Google at some point in order for them to be eligible. SO, if you want Google at all in the future, you might have to pay the install fee and then sign up when your contract is up, pay the term fee or just pay two providers at the same time. Make no mistake, ATT is carefully weighing how they launch this, after a decade of promises of upgrades coming soon. They aren't rushing to give it to us out of the goodness of their hearts.
Likewise, TWC.
And, I am grabbing MAXX rather than wait for GOOG or ATT to come down the street.
I am assuming that TWC will push faster stuff to me when GOOG and ATT actually come through.

Man, there are tons of utility contractors working the big boxes around the area.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:00 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,368 times
CenturyLink is pushing hard down here in Fuquay, with almost daily flyers, claiming 1GB is available right now. I went with 100MB, I will believe it when I see it, but anything to get me off TWC.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:58 PM

307 posts, read 672,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
CenturyLink is pushing hard down here in Fuquay, with almost daily flyers, claiming 1GB is available right now. I went with 100MB, I will believe it when I see it, but anything to get me off TWC.
How much are you paying for 100Mb? Is it 100 up and down? If not, what is your upload speed?

Old 04-17-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
How much are you paying for 100Mb? Is it 100 up and down? If not, what is your upload speed?
I get it installed on Monday, so I will test it and report back. It's supposed to be 100 down, not sure about up.

I will be paying $92 for 100mb + phone. Guaranteed for 5 years, no contract. About the same as I am paying TWC right now 14/2. It is a little weird - internet only requires a contract, and internet/phone/tv bundle requires a contract. But for some reason the internet/phone combination does not require a contract. So that's a sweet spot for anyone who happens to need a phone.

I am hopeful, but after 5 years of being a slave to TWC I am skeptical of any claims until I see it for myself!

Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
Got it installed today and so far so good. Hardwired I am getting 105mb down and 50mb up. Wifi is more like 80/50. They said I can do the 1GB for an extra 20-30 bucks but I don't think I need it.

Bye bye TWC.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,085 times
Can anyone comment on the damage done to landscapes and property caused during the installation of new lines? I had a door hanger notifying me of the "great upgrade" being installed and have orange paint all over my brand new landscaping.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:59 PM

183 posts, read 197,858 times
Define landscaping. The orange paint is from the call before you dig marking crews. It will wear off in time.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:39 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
It is going to be dependent on the specific crew. Some are very careful,and some not as much. I would take some pictures or video of it now and mark any sprinkler lines you might have in the area. Most likely you will see other color lines in the next few days before they start. When they put the sod back down, make sure you water it several times a day if possible in this hot weather. At the least, right before you leave for work and the minute you get back.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,085 times
I'm not worried about the orange paint - understand that is temporary. I am asking about how invasive the installation of the new lines will be and how the repairs are handled on residential properties. I've seen the crews installing lines on the side of major roads and they don't seem too concerned about damage. And the trench for the new lines is quite deep and wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary