Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:01 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times

Advertisements

somehow, the rotten legislature is behind this. they've been watching these forums, know he lives nearby, and have decided to really get under his skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 09:52 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
My guess is that this is what he's talking about:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8747.../data=!3m1!1e3

But if you look at the Google street view, it certainly looks like DOT has had this cordoned off appropriately at one point in time (July 2014, according to Google) : https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8738...7i13312!8i6656

and https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8737...7i13312!8i6656

And here's a (April 2015) view from the overpass ... https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8737...7i13312!8i6656 Not sure why anyone would turn down that way with the barriers and navigation systems and such, and even if they did, it looks like there's a guardrail at the end of the road as well.

I don't know, this stuff happens all the time - and this is actually typically good future planning by DOTs. Seems like there's no end to the stuff Saturnfan can find to complain about.
I don't think that was what he was talking about, although it does have the length he mentions, it doesn't have the sidewalks and stop sign, I think the place he is talking about is further down Triangle Town Blvd.

Here's the street view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8693...7i13312!8i6656

Although it seems like it's only at most 20 ft. long. All they need to do is place two or three Jersey barriers at the stub.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 AM

703 posts, read 780,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I don't think that was what he was talking about, although it does have the length he mentions, it doesn't have the sidewalks and stop sign, I think the place he is talking about is further down Triangle Town Blvd.

Here's the street view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8693...7i13312!8i6656

Although it seems like it's only at most 20 ft. long. All they need to do is place two or three Jersey barriers at the stub.
Now that one is actually pretty ridiculous, as there's an actual turn lane into it and most hilariously, a stop sign for the "road" coming out.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:10 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
You want to almost certainly know why that is there? Making the "evil developers" pay their fair share. Looks to me like it was required when the road was put in due to anticipated future development. I do not know the exact sequence of events on Tirangle town, but the developer had to either pay to have it put in when they subdivided the parcels or deed the land over to the state or both. Given how they thought things would develop out there I'm sure they thought it would connect to something by now, it just didn't turn out that way. There are many similar examples through the area.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:23 AM

Looking at it in iMaps, it seems almost certain this is the case. The Walmart, the apartments two lots that abut Triangle Town and a couple others all were one lot and seem to have been split by Faison on 1-11-2008 into a subdivision called Triangle Place Promenade. The apartments have a stub coming off their lot that hits the middle of the two empty lots right in the middle and the road that we are talking about also hits the middle of the same two parcels. One of the lots beside the apartments seems to have a narrow piece that also ends right on that lot line. At some point there will almost certainly be a road there and it was almost certainly required by the city of Raleigh and/or NCDOT.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:26 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
There are many similar examples through the area.
There was one over on Renaissance Parkway near the Streets at Southpoint, which recently became Roland Drive when they put the new car dealership in. I don't know if it was like that since they put the road in way back in the day, but here's the old street view courtesy of Google. No right hand turn lane, but definitely a stop sign and a great former place for Durham police to park to catch speeders on the parkway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9009...7i13312!8i6656

Old 06-29-2015, 02:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
The problem is on the road from Old Wake Forest Rd to Walmart and then to the 540 entrances. You turn left just before Target to get on this road. First right is the gulch, second right Walmart.

It is not fixed. Two portable barricades were put up at the end of the stub road after I notified DOT and the shopping strip owner. but blew over into the gulch in strong winds. i got them upright several times but it was a losing battle.

As the DOT contractor was painting the right arrow, I asked the foreman why this was being done when the stub road went nowhere. He had no answer.

I use Walmart several times a week and see this useless road stub every time.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:41 PM

Of course the guy doing the work had no answer. He has approved plans to go by. The plans were almost certainly created with input from NCDOT and City of Raleigh and building things like this involves more than what the average person might see or know about at first glance. Sometimes including demands from the planning department up to the city council.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:23 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Of course the guy doing the work had no answer. He has approved plans to go by. The plans were almost certainly created with input from NCDOT and City of Raleigh and building things like this involves more than what the average person might see or know about at first glance. Sometimes including demands from the planning department up to the city council.
Can't see a valid reason for setting up a booby trap to catch a person looking for Walmart with a dangerous tiny road spur going nowhere.

The developer's manager said this stub would become a real road at some future date. He did agree it was hazardous to set up an opening that leads to disaster.

At a minimum, a permanent block needed to be installed to indicate that this was not a real road.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:57 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,729,877 times
...or you know, people could watch where they're driving. Ermurgurd crazy concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary