Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 09:52 PM

386 posts, read 605,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
One thing I do agree about with the OP (though it was written differently) is that our area does not do a stellar job with signage. For someone driving in a new-for-them area, there is much to be desired. The OP writes of a case where the stub road might mislead someone new into thinking it is a turn off that goes somewhere. And then it doesn't, except sometimes right into a ditch. Where I have run into trouble is when driving in leftmost lanes when there are two or more and having that left straight-ahead suddenly become a left turn only lane. That forces the driver to throw himself at the mercy of other drivers to let him get back into a straight-ahead lane or to get really balled up turning left. Years ago this was not a problem as other drivers were much more considerate, would see you had a problem and let you move to their lane. Now many drivers act like they own the road and to heck with you. Or, they are to busy on their phones to see what is happening around them.
If you feel there's a problem with signage, I'd encourage you to get in touch with the traffic engineers with either NCDOT or the city of Raleigh depending on who owns the road:

City of Raleigh - Transportation Operations | raleighnc.gov
NCDOT - https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/dot/dir....aspx?id=12658

At least with NCDOT there are some state standards when it comes to pavement markings/signs but for the most part, we follow the MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices - Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) - FHWA). I'm not a signing expert though so there may be something that can be done for you in these cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 10:00 PM

Upon further review of the Wake County NCDOT maps and secondary road database (https://apps.ncdot.gov/SRLookup/), both Old Wake Forest Road and Triangle Town Blvd are not NCDOT roads so it's a city of Raleigh problem

I'm sure similar guidelines/procedures apply though.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with road near Walmart at Triangle Town Center-screen-shot-2015-07-03-11.59.46  

Old 07-03-2015, 10:13 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
I'll bring up the Clayton Bypass & I-40 interchange for example. When the Clayton bypass was built, the designers knew that in the future I-40 would be widened to 4 lanes each direction so they put that into the project so that it would save work on a future widening project. Unfortunately since the scope of the project only was in the area of the I-40 & Clayton bypass interchange, you thus had lanes going from 2 to 4 back to 2 in the area of that project leading to mass confusion/traffic problems and NCDOT had to stripe off an extra lane. We try and plan for the future as much as we can with the money we're given - sometimes this works, other times it leaves people wondering why there is a turn lane to nowhere. (not sure with the 540 interchange if there is something planned but that would be my best guess.....of course it may take 15 years before you see something)
I thought about that the first time I drove through that area/interchange four years ago and subsequently since then, that they must have striped the lanes in that way for a reason. I also think the I-40 East ramp to the bypass is a little "tight" for a freeway to a freeway and wonder why they didn't make the turn more gradual, unless they didn't want to buy more right of way. Although that can be a moot point if 540 goes through that interchange and everything will be changed/altered/modified.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:16 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
If you feel there's a problem with signage, I'd encourage you to get in touch with the traffic engineers with either NCDOT or the city of Raleigh depending on who owns the road:

City of Raleigh - Transportation Operations | raleighnc.gov
NCDOT - https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/dot/dir....aspx?id=12658

At least with NCDOT there are some state standards when it comes to pavement markings/signs but for the most part, we follow the MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices - Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) - FHWA). I'm not a signing expert though so there may be something that can be done for you in these cases.
I did that as previously mentioned. Portable barricades were put up but fell down in any high wind. The real solution would be to remove the turn arrow, useless stop sign, and stub road.

Nobody seemed to care, even the TV stations,

Old 07-04-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I did that as previously mentioned. Portable barricades were put up but fell down in any high wind. The real solution would be to remove the turn arrow, useless stop sign, and stub road.

Nobody seemed to care, even the TV stations,
It's a difficult situation and I'm sure nobody wants to touch it if they can. It cost money to put the road and turn lane down so ripping it up if there's a possibility that something will happen in the future is not an option. I can agree about taking up the turn arrow since that's a low cost item (and possibly striping out that turn lane as well so people don't think it's a travel lane).

As for the stop sign, there's the very possibility that the stub road is also a private road initially put in by a developer so the city can't exactly just come in and take it out (depends what the right of way is on that road and what agreement they have there).

Old 07-04-2015, 06:49 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
pbctong, thank you for taking the time to write out all of these explanations.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:36 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
It's a difficult situation and I'm sure nobody wants to touch it if they can. It cost money to put the road and turn lane down so ripping it up if there's a possibility that something will happen in the future is not an option. I can agree about taking up the turn arrow since that's a low cost item (and possibly striping out that turn lane as well so people don't think it's a travel lane).

As for the stop sign, there's the very possibility that the stub road is also a private road initially put in by a developer so the city can't exactly just come in and take it out (depends what the right of way is on that road and what agreement they have there).
City could warn owner in writing that they are liable for any injuries. I called them and was told the road might be installed if it was needed down the road.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:21 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times

Old 07-04-2015, 07:09 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
City could warn owner in writing that they are liable for any injuries. I called them and was told the road might be installed if it was needed down the road.
Dude, the city almost certainly MADE them out that piece in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary