Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 AM

725 posts, read 1,501,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think the vast majority have moved on. That was over 4 years ago and now it's more fashionable to hate on Greg Hatem for calling downtown "unliveable".

Kramer and the 12 year strike!
https://youtu.be/r235gwc_dxk
I agree, I also feel like the sun is starting to set on the food truck craze. Prices for most of them are now in the same range as many quick service places, people complain about the crowds at the rodeo's (Raleigh more than Durham) and some of the stronger ones have already opened brick and mortar places. I don't think they are going away anytime soon but the zeal is fading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:56 AM

369 posts, read 460,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
This is just going to be a big bar essentially. That tap wall is behind the bar. I doubt a free pour system like that would even be legal in NC, much less a good idea for making money.
They have a draft wall at Clouds Brewing (also in DTR) where you can pour your own beer. They link your credit card & ID to an electronic bracelet that communicates with the tap wall. There is a 32oz maximum and you can pour as little or as many ounces as you like up until that 32oz limit. The price per ounce is listed above each tap.

Clouds Brewing

Yes, the beer garden will not be self serve.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:02 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Its nice looking, and if The Station, Hibernian, and Solas (although Solas isn't my scene as much or as often) are anything to go by, it will be a great establishment. That said, it doesn't really bring anything new to the area or Glenwood South that Clouds or Flying Saucer don't already, IMO.

If the ambiance is that much better, I will certainly go there over the other two I mentioned.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
They have a draft wall at Clouds Brewing (also in DTR) where you can pour your own beer. They link your credit card & ID to an electronic bracelet that communicates with the tap wall. There is a 32oz maximum and you can pour as little or as many ounces as you like up until that 32oz limit. The price per ounce is listed above each tap.

Clouds Brewing

Yes, the beer garden will not be self serve.
Ok, I wasn't considering this kind of setup. That would work without issue.

Letting people in for say $25 and saying have at it won't.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:55 PM

5,155 posts, read 3,762,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Its nice looking, and if The Station, Hibernian, and Solas (although Solas isn't my scene as much or as often) are anything to go by, it will be a great establishment. That said, it doesn't really bring anything new to the area or Glenwood South that Clouds or Flying Saucer don't already, IMO.

If the ambiance is that much better, I will certainly go there over the other two I mentioned.
Looks pretty nice but it isn't really a true beer garden. Been to the Hibernian a few times and it is OK. First few times I just ran a tab then paid up when we left. Last time a male bartender wanted to hold my credit card to run a tab. Had one drink and left. I do not like that practice one bit.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:11 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Looks pretty nice but it isn't really a true beer garden. Been to the Hibernian a few times and it is OK. First few times I just ran a tab then paid up when we left. Last time a male bartender wanted to hold my credit card to run a tab. Had one drink and left. I do not like that practice one bit.
Do you realize how often patrons run a tab and then bolt without paying? Happens all the time. If they want to hold a license or credit card to ensure they get paid there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Do you realize how often patrons run a tab and then bolt without paying? Happens all the time. If they want to hold a license or credit card to ensure they get paid there is nothing wrong with that.
I agree. It is pretty much standard practice for places to hold onto your credit card when you run a tab. I've never experienced it differently in the 20 years I've been drinking from NY to NC!

Old 07-07-2015, 02:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Honest question, not being snarky. What makes something a "true beer garden"? I have no idea.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:19 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
As a semi-regular (irregular?) at many of the local breweries and bars, that's a pretty common practice. They hold your card in an index card box or the like and keep track of how many/what you've had and then run it when you cash out. I've never had any problems whatsoever at any of the local places with this method. About the only place that immediately springs to mind that deviates from this is Fullsteam. They'll run your card once to open the tab and then charge against it once you close your tab.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:31 PM

5,155 posts, read 3,762,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I agree. It is pretty much standard practice for places to hold onto your credit card when you run a tab. I've never experienced it differently in the 20 years I've been drinking from NY to NC!
I'm 63 and my days of beating a check are long gone. Matter of fact I have never had anyone hold my CC for a tab. I went to the Hiberian 3 times previously and the female bartender did not ask for my card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary