Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:02 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth9 View Post
No doubt any attention you can get, even negative, would be an upgrade. Although I doubt it would result in an uptick of listings. You'll still spend way more time trolling onlne than actually doing anything involving homes I'm sure.

Did C-D approve your address posting? I thought advertisements were a no-no.

Where would the "negative attention" come from?

Hey, great business op for you. And, you have "networking" ops, too.
Waking Life Espresso Potentially For Sale

Old 09-23-2015, 02:04 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Pretty sure he's one of those people who don't believe in any form of accountability.
My money's on MRA.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:04 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth's Mommy View Post
Now you boys stop picking on my little Garthie. I know all your parents and your preacher too, and I'll call every one of them. Such bad little boys you are!!!!!
Well, you ain't gonna last long but this is the very very best short timer ever on CD.

Apologies to moderation for helping out with the thread, and I will endeavor not to spur any more work for you.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:06 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
I think everyone is dumb

I think the owners here learned a lesson about maintaining your professional image and the risk of online banter getting associated

I think those upset are dumb and just want to feel offended

I think their attitude is just a manifestation of our hook up culture and when dating is basically a rotating meat market one must expect participants, male and female, to have unhealthy perceptions

I think people arguing on CD about it might be the dumbest

I'm mostly just bothered by soft censorship and "thought-crime" scandals like this.

And I think I'm dumb too

Old 09-23-2015, 02:06 PM

24 posts, read 14,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Too funny, he's just making stuff up to defend his stance that it's OK to exploit people online. Pretty sure he's one of those people who don't believe in any form of accountability. I totally expect his mommy will come on here soon and start scolding us for picking on him....
You've gravely misinterpreted my position here. I think the two coffee shop owners are d-bags for ever even making a hobby out of making pod casts and such. But young people do dumb things sometimes. Had they done what they did in a way that somehow tied their activities to their business, my stance on all this would be different and I would see it as a simple matter of karma.

And from the information I have, no individual was "exploited" online. He did not give names or identifying information about his conquests from anything I saw. The issue people are boycotting is a misogynistic attitude, not exploitation of individuals.

My original reason for participation in this is to get people thinking about whether they really want every comment they've ever written on the Internet forever archived and tied to their real name and professional life. It is a worthwhile consideration. I don't have problems with people boycotting any business they don't believe in, but the issue here is with what seems to be online role-playing rather than the boycotting of one's actual beliefs.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I think everyone is dumb

I think the owners here learned a lesson about maintaining your professional image and the risk of online banter getting associated

I think those upset are dumb and just want to feel offended

I think their attitude is just a manifestation of our hook up culture and when dating is basically a rotating meat market one must expect participants, male and female, to have unhealthy perceptions

I think people arguing on CD about it might be the dumbest

I'm mostly just bothered by soft censorship and "thought-crime" scandals like this.

And I think I'm dumb too
I think I agree with everything you've just said. Maybe the last sentence to a much lesser degree

Old 09-23-2015, 02:10 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Raleigh is a much larger city than Asheville so we are not all up in each others business, but IMHO, if people found out this happened re: their local coffee shop I believe that many would boycott. Maybe not stand outside and protest, but boycott and stop sellilng their stuff.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, you ain't gonna last long but this is the very very best short timer ever on CD.

Apologies to moderation for helping out with the thread, and I will endeavor not to spur any more work for you.

Yeah now we understand Myghost's strategy for maintaining his pristine online reputation

Old 09-23-2015, 02:16 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth9 View Post
You've gravely misinterpreted my position here. I think the two coffee shop owners are d-bags for ever even making a hobby out of making pod casts and such. But young people do dumb things sometimes. Had they done what they did in a way that somehow tied their activities to their business, my stance on all this would be different and I would see it as a simple matter of karma.

And from the information I have, no individual was "exploited" online. He did not give names or identifying information about his conquests from anything I saw. The issue people are boycotting is a misogynistic attitude, not exploitation of individuals.

My original reason for participation in this is to get people thinking about whether they really want every comment they've ever written on the Internet forever archived and tied to their real name and professional life. It is a worthwhile consideration. I don't have problems with people boycotting any business they don't believe in, but the issue here is with what seems to be online role-playing rather than the boycotting of one's actual beliefs.

While I can still respecfully disagree on some points, this is much different than what you've said thus far. Your point here is fair (I still don't fully agree, but respect it). It's amazing what can happen if you take the time to explain yourself, rather than just posting a bunch of "people are just too sensitive" and "the perpetrator is a victim" bunch of stuff.

I do think the bolded is worth considering. I also think the best policy for EVERYONE is to act online similar to how they might act in person. I'll be the first to admit that I use the internet to say things that are provocative, and maybe couldn't be discussed in a group setting. I use it to bounce ideas. But I also beleive there are limits, and I personally feel like the owner's behavior went WAY beyond those limits. They got caught, and now they are accountable. Fair nor not, that's how it works.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Where would the "negative attention" come from?

Hey, great business op for you. And, you have "networking" ops, too.
[URL="http://ashevilleblog.com/waking-life-espresso-for-sale/"]Waking Life Espresso Potentially For Sale[/URL]
It was known that they were making some changes to their business even before this happened. If they were trying to find the right timing of things to work on their next venture, this might give them a push.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary