Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:24 PM

17 posts, read 34,749 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just visited the Chapel Hill/Durham area and fell in love with Apex! My husband will be working in Chapel Hill and would be commuting there. I pretty much have my mind set on living in Apex. I checked out the entire area and also liked Cary. I need some advice regarding the developments in Apex/Cary. I really liked Bella Casa because of the near by park, access to trails and downtown area. We are looking in the 400k to 500k range. Any recommendations on similar developments close to that area and schools. I'm not sure what schools are zoned for that area. My kids will be in middle and high school.

Are the schools year round there?

Any suggestions regarding gymnastics near the Apex area? My daughter is currently on an Excel Silver Team and would like to continue doing gymnastics, hopefully near by.

We will be bringing a boat with us, any advice on where to store our boat. We want affordability and easy access to take on the lake. Do you know the monthly rates? It's a 25ft Pontoon boat.

Thanks so much....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 08:08 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,545,466 times
Why not live in Chapel Hill? Schools are better and you are closer to Jordan Lake.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:26 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,581,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Why not live in Chapel Hill? Schools are better and you are closer to Jordan Lake.
She said she "fell in love with Apex".

Old 12-08-2015, 08:38 PM

360 posts, read 722,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate1207 View Post

Are the schools year round there?

Thanks so much....
Some are, some aren't. This only applies to elementary and middle schools though. All the high schools are traditional calender.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:44 PM

30 posts, read 45,754 times
Hi Kate1207! We are also seriously considering Bella Casa and I have middle and high school age children. We like the proximity to major roads, parks and just the set up of the community. As far as middle schools go, It seems some of Bella Casa go to Luftkin Rd. (year round) and some go to Apex Middle school. I have been reading that Apex Middle may be capped this year but it's just proposed at this point. It was proposed last year as well and it was not capped so I guess it's a wait and see. If it is capped, the traditional alternative looks like it will be Dillard. Depending on what grade your high school kids are in, Apex Friendship looks pretty good. My understanding, and correct me if I have this wrong, the principle is from Apex High School. Apex Friendship seems to be off to a good start. They currently have freshmen and sophomores this year. Next year will be Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors.

Sorry, don't have any information on gymnastics. I have runners and swimmers. :-)

We also really liked the Apex area and have focused our search to that area as well. Good luck with your search!!

Old 12-08-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post

Well I really like Chapel Hill, don't get me wrong...however I'm coming from a small community of 4200 people, I like the small town feel. Apex seemed to capture that for me with the proximity of Raleigh, Chapel Hill and stuff to do.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
She said she "fell in love with Apex".
I honestly did, this was my first visit to NC. I had no idea what I would or wouldn't like and was not aware of Apex's #1 status

I did like Cary, but honestly could barely tell where one started and the other ended. I LOVED Jordan Lake...such an amazing area! I'm coming from the land of 10K lakes and wide open frozen tundra. I was amazed by all the trees!!!

Old 12-08-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsnk9s View Post
Hi Kate1207! We are also seriously considering Bella Casa and I have middle and high school age children. We like the proximity to major roads, parks and just the set up of the community. As far as middle schools go, It seems some of Bella Casa go to Luftkin Rd. (year round) and some go to Apex Middle school. I have been reading that Apex Middle may be capped this year but it's just proposed at this point. It was proposed last year as well and it was not capped so I guess it's a wait and see. If it is capped, the traditional alternative looks like it will be Dillard. Depending on what grade your high school kids are in, Apex Friendship looks pretty good. My understanding, and correct me if I have this wrong, the principle is from Apex High School. Apex Friendship seems to be off to a good start. They currently have freshmen and sophomores this year. Next year will be Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors.

Sorry, don't have any information on gymnastics. I have runners and swimmers. :-)

We also really liked the Apex area and have focused our search to that area as well. Good luck with your search!!

Thank you! Yes Bella Casa had such a great feel to it, I really liked that area. Good to know about the schools, I will have to look up the schools in this area. I am so confused by the school system. Out here in MN we can open enroll our kids and rarely have caps Both my kids when we move will be 6th and 8th graders, so we will start in Middle school. I'm crossing my fingers that transition to the schools is easy mid year? Seems to be lots of transplant kids in the area??

Is there a part of Bella Casa you liked more than others? Any other developments you had interest in?

Old 12-08-2015, 09:56 PM

6,398 posts, read 5,525,830 times
If you focus on western Apex (where Bella Casa is) the commute to Chapel Hill (a commute which includes driving right over Jordan Lake...twice) you can use either 751 or Farrington Road (which eventually turns into Mt Carmel Church Rd and Culbreth Rd) for a straight shot to the Chapel Hill area. (I live in Chapel Hill, my parents live in Apex; so I make this drive often; at least once every two weeks)

If your kids are in middle school and you move to that area they will most likely go to Lufkin or possibly Salem middle...both of which are year round; or Apex Middle, which is traditional.. Some families love year round, some hate it. It's generally considered to be better for kids academically but everyone has their reasons for preferring one over the other. All of those schools are considered some of the best middle schools in Wake County.

Dillard middle is awful (I went there 15 years ago when it was brand new; it was awful then and from what I have heard..worse now). If you have to choose between attending Salem or Lufkin as year round or Dillard as the traditional alternative if Apex Middle is capped; it would be very wise to choose the year round option.

Principal White started at Apex High my senior year there and was extremely well-liked by teachers, students, and parents; despite replacing the 20 year veteran and also beloved Dr. Dixon as a newbie. I'm sure he's getting Apex Friendship off to a great start.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:52 AM

22,700 posts, read 36,895,150 times
Everybody loved the principal at Apex High and were sorry to see him go (have family that go to AHS). Now the question is who will they pull to open Green Level HS in a few years!

You really need to search wcpss on this site to get info on how the schools work. Just spend some time reading these threads and the system will start to make a bit more sense, but honestly it can take a few years of LIVING here to deeply understand it. Also look around the school website. Wake County Public School System / Homepage.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary