Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 04:02 PM

184 posts, read 311,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
It is also clear that Publix wants to also enter the lucrative DC megamarket. So Wegmans wants into NC, Publix wants in to DC. THey are definitely jockeying to wage an EPIC supermarket war on each other.
Bingo!!! Spot on. there will be two grocery stores vying for the majority in the region. they are already planning on building up here in Northern VA and Richmond as we know. It will be fun to watch and Im glad Im out of that business altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosjester87 View Post
That seems pretty far down, I don't see it. I think they would want to be able to pull people from Durham as well.

I would not at all be surprised to see one in between Mebane and Burlington somewhere. That area is packed with distribution centers and there are a bunch more coming in.
Considering Sheetz just built one in Greensboro or Burlington area I can see Wegman's building one there as well. Both are based up north though it is two totally different type of businesses. That region is a huge growing area like you said for warehouses and distro centers

Old 04-27-2016, 07:39 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachianwx71 View Post
Bingo!!! Spot on. there will be two grocery stores vying for the majority in the region. they are already planning on building up here in Northern VA and Richmond as we know. It will be fun to watch and Im glad Im out of that business altogether.
If we do get the "epic supermarket war" I want to see what Harris Teeter's going to do to try to keep their top spot. They're a great grocery store but quality, selection, etc vary widely between different stores. Hopefully they'll step their game up!

Old 04-27-2016, 03:06 PM

183 posts, read 198,056 times
Harris teeter is a top grocery store? Any locations specifically? I've never seen one I considered top anything but maybe I'm going to the wrong ones (seldom if ever at this point)

Old 04-27-2016, 05:31 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Well, in the hierarchy they are at least in the top bunch around here. The best stores of theirs I've seen are (probably) the two newest, at Parkside Town Commons off 55 and the one across from Cary Town Center.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
If we do get the "epic supermarket war" I want to see what Harris Teeter's going to do to try to keep their top spot. They're a great grocery store but quality, selection, etc vary widely between different stores. Hopefully they'll step their game up!
agreed, I will be curious to see what happens with them. Food lion will always be around and are in no way competing with Wegmans and Publix. They are more of a large conv. store especially in the rural locations.
Harris Teeter is the one I will be curious to see what they do to stay competetive

Old 04-27-2016, 08:07 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Harris Teeter is not Wegmans nor Publix, but the industry considers it a high end grocery overall

Old 04-27-2016, 10:24 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachianwx71 View Post
Food lion will always be around and are in no way competing with Wegmans and Publix. They are more of a large conv. store especially in the rural locations.
Food Lion may be the first supermarket participant to have stores go permanently dark. Its stores have been obliterated and decimated by Publix and Walmart's Supercenter and Neighborhood Market stores. Food Lion has made some updates in various North Carolina stores, but it has a long way to go (i.e. adding pharmacies in stores, lowering prices, improving selection and availability of fresh foods and quality products, improving customer service, etc.). It will be interesting to see what direction Ahold Delhaize, when the merger is complete, will go with Food Lion.

Publix has smaller prototype stores to enter small and rural trade areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachianwx71
Harris Teeter is the one I will be curious to see what they do to stay competetive
Harris Teeter is adding fuel centers to existing and new stores, and is opening larger stores approximately 78,000 square feet in size. An option is Harris Teeter Marketplace, a hypermarket store similar to Kroger Marketplace and Walmart Supercenter.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:54 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Harris Teeter is not Wegmans nor Publix, but the industry considers it a high end grocery overall
This might be a matter of perception, but I really don't notice that much of a difference between some of the newer decked out Harris Teeter's and Publix in this area. People really need to get over the whole Publix/Wegmans idolization spiel.

"High-end" is also relative to store classification I guess. I'd consider Fresh Market to be "high-end" just on pricing, but they aren't really in the same class of competition as Harris Teeter, Publix, or Wegmans.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:24 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
Publix isn't really what I would consider "Upscale". If I were to classify it in relation to the other stores, i'd place them between Kroger and Harris Teeter.

If I had to organize the grocery store/Supermarket chains here by how upscale they are, I'd classify them as the following:

Upscale:
Wegmans
Fresh Market
Whole Foods
Trader Joe's
Earth Fare (maybe)

Upper Midmarket/Upmarket:
Harris Teeter
Publix

Midmarket:
Lowe's Foods
Hannaford (Even though they're not in this market anymore)
Kroger
SuperTarget
Walmart Neighborhood Market

Bi-Lo and Ingles fit here as well, even though they aren't in this market.
Winn Dixie (another store that is no longer in this market) could be placed either here or in the downmarket section.

Downmarket/Lower Midmarket
Food Lion
Carlie C's IGA
Piggly Wiggly would fit here even though they're only found in the outskirts of this market
Costco
Sam's/BJ's
Lidl
Aldi
Walmart Supercenter
Save-a-Lot

Ethnic:
Compare Foods

I also believe that Harris Teeter will do fine against both Publix and Wegmans.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 04-28-2016 at 04:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary