Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 03:15 AM

201 posts, read 190,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I am still chuckling over this one. Triangle more high brow than Charlotte? No way. Not even close. The Triangle area is much more laid back, slower, and low key than Charlotte. Charlotte is much more big time and very high brow. IMO Charlotte is hands down a better "city" when it comes to wanting some city vibe, but the Triangle area is much more livable suburban style on a daily basis. That is a compliment to both, for what they are.
Um... I guess it depends on what you consider high brow. We have 3 universities and the Research Triangle. Charlotte has Nascar and the NFL. There's nothing wrong with either, but Charlotte is not exactly what I'd consider high brow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 06:15 AM

514 posts, read 603,342 times
Charlotte is also the financial capital of the Southeast, second only to NYC nationally. So, yes, it depends on how ones defines it.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:26 AM

265 posts, read 270,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
Charlotte is also the financial capital of the Southeast, second only to NYC nationally. So, yes, it depends on how ones defines it.
Please don't propagate this locally distributed BS. It's probably the financial capital of the SE, but is nowhere near the other large metros in the US: SF, Boston, DC, Chicago, even Philly. I'm not sure how this caught on, but I'd love to see any hard facts or stats.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:29 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,363,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwhisperer View Post
Um... I guess it depends on what you consider high brow. We have 3 universities and the Research Triangle. Charlotte has Nascar and the NFL. There's nothing wrong with either, but Charlotte is not exactly what I'd consider high brow.
Exactly. The cultural offerings are somewhat different. Charlotte has a lot of big name stuff (go Panthers) but less of an arts scene than the Triangle. There are some good things happening in Charlotte's arts scene, I don't mean, that, but I have heard the city described as more business and less art than Greensboro, not to mention Raleigh, by my artist (and Charlotte native) nephew.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
Please don't propagate this locally distributed BS. It's probably the financial capital of the SE, but is nowhere near the other large metros in the US: SF, Boston, DC, Chicago, even Philly. I'm not sure how this caught on, but I'd love to see any hard facts or stats.
Locally distributed BS?

I was a stockbroker for 14 years, watching CNBC every single day. My undergraduate majors were Finance and Insurance and Risk Management. My MBA is in Finance. I believe you may have misunderstood my statement as hyperbole.

Charlotte Soars to Become the Nation
Forbes Welcome

If you would like to amend the verbiage to read "banking", rather than "finance", that is fine, and perhaps more precise.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:09 AM

265 posts, read 270,276 times
I was just responding to the notion that Charlotte is major finance center. It is not close to being one. I don't know what constitutes a "banking" center? Any hard list I have seen on financial jobs or financial $ within cities, Charlotte is not near the top 10.

Locally distributed BS means the propaganda that every city releases to make itself look bigger and more important than it really is. Most of the time they use very selective data and rationalization to come up with these monikers.

Was there any hard data or stats in the articles you linked? I did not see any, but maybe I missed it.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
I was just responding to the notion that Charlotte is major finance center. It is not close to being one. I don't know what constitutes a "banking" center? Any hard list I have seen on financial jobs or financial $ within cities, Charlotte is not near the top 10.

Locally distributed BS means the propaganda that every city releases to make itself look bigger and more important than it really is. Most of the time they use very selective data and rationalization to come up with these monikers.

Was there any hard data or stats in the articles you linked? I did not see any, but maybe I missed it.
I was challenging the "locally distributed" part of your argument. I have heard that for years, from national sources. If you believe it to be BS, I won't try to change your mind. My point is that it has that reputation beyond its own borders.

As for hard data or stats, one of my favorite quotes of all time is by Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain, if you like). "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." Most of the raw numbers I found when I ran a very quick and cursory search were related to growth, which is not what was being discussed. Obviously the numbers exist but some of it may be mixed into much larger, more detailed reports. Further, which stat one chooses to focus on will slant the debate. If India has more financial jobs (I am not saying it does, nor do I know if it does) than the UK, is it a greater financial power? I have not met anyone who would argue that it is. If we look at the size of companies in a given city, that skews everything, depending on the metric - revenue, market cap, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ies_by_revenue

Those two articles highlight my point. In the first, adding up the numbers listed would rank NY first, then Charlotte. The second would list Omaha as a financial powerhouse, due solely to Berkshire Hathaway. Have you ever considered Omaha a financial hub? Much of this is open to interpretation, which is why many look at the largest employers in cities and at where the largest financial services companies are headquartered, especially banks.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:18 AM

530 posts, read 638,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I am still chuckling over this one. Triangle more high brow than Charlotte? No way. Not even close. The Triangle area is much more laid back, slower, and low key than Charlotte. Charlotte is much more big time and very high brow.
What exactly does high brow city mean to you? I'm honestly curious because the definition of high brow is "scholarly or rarefied in taste" with the synonym being intellectual

The percent of people in the triangle with a bachelors or advanced degree is significantly higher than that of Charlotte so I would say it seems the triangle is more high brow. But honestly I am not super familiar with that term being used to describe cities.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
What exactly does high brow city mean to you? I'm honestly curious because the definition of high brow is "scholarly or rarefied in taste" with the synonym being intellectual

The percent of people in the triangle with a bachelors or advanced degree is significantly higher than that of Charlotte so I would say it seems the triangle is more high brow. But honestly I am not super familiar with that term being used to describe cities.
Connotation versus denotation

Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,363,749 times
Well, that's the way I meant it Atony, so right on the money there. I'll let NPG answer for himself, but I do think the Triangle has more intellectual and cultural arts offerings than Charlotte. Charlotte has some "big time" things like the Panthers and NASCAR, but the Triangle has more arts offerings (American Dance Festival, International Bluegrass Fest, Hopscotch, all the big theater shows at DPAC) plus lectures and talks by leading researchers, scientists, authors, etc. Charlotte does have some nice stuff happening at the Mint and the Blumenthal, but in general I think Charlotte skews more toward the popular rather than intellectual. Like I said upthread Taylor Swift played in both Raleigh and Charlotte, as an example of one of big name acts that come through both areas, but painting with broad strokes the Triangle is a little more cutting edge w/ respect to arts, science, research, intellectual pursuits and Charlotte a little more mainstream. Of course neither one is NYC or anything and by and large I think Charlotte and Raleigh are more similar to each other than they are to most other cities, but where there are differences that's the kind of thing I see.

FWIW, when I wrote that post the other day I wasn't really satisfied with the phrase "high brow", but my brain was not supplying another and I had to run so I went with it. Really it was just short hand to say what the above paragraph says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary