Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:01 PM

266 posts, read 1,052,681 times

Advertisements

except for everywhere else. I'll be staying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 AM

69 posts, read 255,671 times
I just think it's growing a little too fast. They need to work on the traffic issues (better roads, etc), water issues and get the school issues under control. I don't understand why they keep building when there are all of these brand new homes sitting there vacant. Thanks for the input!

Old 02-08-2008, 06:26 AM

403 posts, read 930,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I guess I am the only one who thinks the growth has changed NC for the better. Especially Charlotte and the Triangle.
I agree. I think NC has changed for the better in many regards. When I moved here with my wife in 2000, I thought the best part of Raleigh was that we had good weather and could easily enjoy NC's beaches and mountains. While those are still great aspects of life here, I now find myself living in a much more diverse place (although it felt pretty diverse when we got here), there are great museums and restaurants that have opened, and we're getting some really nice urban life in the region. These things will continue to get better, too. It's more crowded and costs are going up, but there is an upside to growth.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:58 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley View Post
I just think it's growing a little too fast. They need to work on the traffic issues (better roads, etc), water issues and get the school issues under control. I don't understand why they keep building when there are all of these brand new homes sitting there vacant. Thanks for the input!

There has been and continues to be tons of work done on roads. As long as gas remains relatively cheap (and $3/gallon is still cheap by world standards) and people are willing to commute 30 miles to work, you are going to have some traffic. Compared to cities with real traffic problems, Raleigh is a breeze. Now it would be nice if NC didn't have this communist funding stuff that results in roads to nowhere out in the boonies and Raleigh not able to fund projects, but when the legislature works like it does, that is not going to change.

Home weren't sitting vacant 18 months ago before all this subprime mess. National builders already are slowing in the triangle. There is going to be a lag because of all the planning, permits, etc. that goes into building large neighborhoods and condo buildings.

Water issues - who the heck could have expected a record setting drought? And the city is still getting by. A valuable lesson will have (finally) been learned from this from planners.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:17 AM

445 posts, read 1,859,565 times
I think downtown Raleigh has improved considerably since I first worked downtown in 1993. As far as the roads - I think that is primarily the state's fault. They build an interstate between Goldsboro and Wilson (I-795) that maybe 20 people use, but they can't extend I-540 out to Holly Springs or widen I-40 through Cary. The whole DOT needs to be overhauled IMO. As far as schools, yeah there are issues but I think parents tend to over-react while the kids adjust just fine. And the drought, I find it hard to believe that we are where we are as a result of rainfall being 10" below normal since January 2007 - I think it has more to do with uncontrolled growth than it does with the drought.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 AM

Look at this map and then tell me we aren't suffering a serious drought:

State Drought Monitor (http://www.drought.unl.edu/DM/DM_state.htm?NC,SE - broken link)

Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Look at this map and then tell me we aren't suffering a serious drought:

State Drought Monitor (http://www.drought.unl.edu/DM/DM_state.htm?NC,SE - broken link)
Looking at the country wide situation there are only 2 states in which 100% of the land area is covered in some kind of drought (NC and NV). NV has no parts of their state above severe drought, while about 50% of NC is classified as exceptional (worst case).

That will really open your eyes. Hopefully we get some tropical systems this late spring/summer.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,553 times
You've got five states in the southeast that have big droughts indicated on the map. One strong tropical storm season could reverse the trend since hurricanes dump tons of rain.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 AM

We are used to getting a TS or Hurricane to come through and bail us out most years. The lack of that last year is one of the big reasons we are hurting so bad now.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley View Post
For better or worse? what do y'all think! Raleigh is building all these condos downtown that are vacant, the drought is causing so much havoc that extrepreneurs that count on water ie. gardeners, car washes, pressure washers, etc, are in trouble, the transportation system really needs to try to keep up to date. If you can't build the roads right away, then hold off on the next 100 developments, there's enough homes for sale now! 3/4 of all new homes are $400+, I know that not everyone on this forum can afford those homes, the job market doesn't seem to be doing all that great and it's only a matter of time that the taxes reach what they are up North and out West. The school system, well it is what it is, everyone knows! I'm not bashing NC, just want to hear everyone else's thoughts!
We have been here in Wake Forest almost 5 years now and have seen the area change. I would not characterize it as negatively though. I do see allot of homes on the market over $400k but one only has to see what drove them there. I don't think the national and local builders woke up several years ago and said we are going to build more and more homes greater than $400k. The market drove it there with transplants wants and needs and full pockets. Many transferred here from very healthy appreciating home price markets. They came here fell in love with the area and low taxes and bought in. Simple as that. Some had jobs and some did not but they eventually found one.

Today that is different. Today they are coming with on average less money so that will dictate a change in the housing market. National builders are already saying the new model homes will be smaller and lower cost as this is what their potential customers are asking for. So less money to spend on housing will dictate smaller homes and less amenities.

IMO that is why there are so many homes on the market that are over $400k. Taste and affordable thresholds are changing. With the country currently in a recession there will be even more pressure on price.

The market will dictate the worthiness of a home. The location will dictate days on the market. At the moment the market is adding a premium to smaller more efficient and less costly homes. When the economy turns positive again the rush to larger homes will be on. So don't throw those 3500+ sq. ft house plans away just yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary