Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 06:22 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,450 times

Advertisements

HT is a little "nicer". It's convenient that they unpack the cart for you. There a couple of things that HT carries that Kroger doesn't. (like Weetabix). HT does have a better international section.

But HT is way more expensive. Like $60 at Kroger will cost you $80 at HT. A gallon of milk is almost a dollar more at HT. And then there are the Kroger fuel points. (HT may have something similar, I do not know).

I also like the separate organic section at Kroger. And the continually expanding Kroger "Simple Truth" brand, which may just be marketing, but it works on me.

Kroger hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 07:48 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
I am a "price first" shopper and am not as picky about quality as some. Personally I do find myself going to Kroger sometimes, and I almost never set foot in a Teeter - and would not dare to buy staples there for fear of sticker shock.

Kroger costs a bit more than my usual Food Lion but it's not THAT much more, and they do have more variety and they do have full service deli, seafood, and meat counters, which my local Food Lion lacks, and a better bakery department. Their prices are more like 10-15% higher than Food Lion, rather than 50% to 100% higher like Harris Teeter or Lowe's Foods. ($5.99 for a regular old can of oatmeal - you gotta be kidding me.)

When I go Krogering, I go to the stores at Maynard/High House and Lake Pine/US64.
Remember though, paying the lowest price all but guarantees the lowest pay and benefits for the employees. That's one reason we do not mind paying more for items at Publix, because the payback to its employees is much more substantial overall. I know it can be hard to remember, but we need to try to keep that in mind when shopping. Shopping by price first has a big cost on the other end.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:00 AM

390 posts, read 366,887 times
Always preferred HT, but now you all have me thinking we need to try some other Krogers. Only been to the one on Hillsborough in Durham. Did one trip there, paid just as much as we do at HT and the store wasn't nearly as nice so we just went back to HT.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:03 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Since Kroger owns Harris Teeter, I would hope that my Kroger Plus card would be valid at Harris Teeter... but it's not.
I wonder if there are several integration goals that remain to be finalized two years after the acquisition was finalized. I know Kroger and Harris Teeter use different pharmacy systems.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:03 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Remember though, paying the lowest price all but guarantees the lowest pay and benefits for the employees. That's one reason we do not mind paying more for items at Publix, because the payback to its employees is much more substantial overall. I know it can be hard to remember, but we need to try to keep that in mind when shopping. Shopping by price first has a big cost on the other end.

Yeah, it's a little sad, the assistant deli manager at Publix makes more than the average teacher in NC. I know where I'd rather my extra dollars go.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:04 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
It seems that HT store brand stuff has less appeal since the takeover. Krogerized?
We used to use a lot of it, but have moved away on some items.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Remember though, paying the lowest price all but guarantees the lowest pay and benefits for the employees.
Doesn't seem to work that way at Costco.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:55 AM

230 posts, read 255,835 times
I prefer Kroger. HT is a pretty store and I used to shop there when I was a couponer for their Super Doubles events, but I love Kroger. I've seen familiar faces over the last decade or two at the Kroger at Lynn/Creedmoor, so they must be doing something right. Everytime my husband goes to the deli, they always offer my son a cookie. I also like how my son can pick out his favorite fruit for free at Kroger, like at Whole Foods. Some more pros: Friday Freebies and gas points redeemable at participating gas stations (at least Shell).

Old 05-04-2016, 12:13 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,479,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
...And then there are the Kroger fuel points. (HT may have something similar, I do not know).
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
...Some more pros: Friday Freebies and gas points redeemable at participating gas stations (at least Shell).
I don't believe that Harris Teeter has a fuel point system. Instead they have this:
http://www.harristeeter.com/promotio.../gas_card.aspx

Additionally, the stores in Cary by Publix at one point ran some bonus fuel rewards promotion. IDK if it's still going on.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:38 PM

230 posts, read 255,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I don't believe that Harris Teeter has a fuel point system. Instead they have this:
Harris Teeter - Gas Card Giveaway .
All of the dates in that link say 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary