Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:33 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

I'm very surprised that your sister has been so little help, OP.

I had friends move here from England (one was a US Citizen, though) and I found them a rental with good schools. Because friends do that sort of thing.

Why family would not at least volunteer a small amount of assistance baffles me.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:57 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I would keep looking. You should be able to find an acceptable rental in your budget closer to Raleigh and with much better schools. Check out towns like Clayton, Wake Forest, Fuquay-Varina, Wendell, Zebulon, etc.
I'd agree - exceot maybe with Zebulon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm very surprised that your sister has been so little help, OP.

I had friends move here from England (one was a US Citizen, though) and I found them a rental with good schools. Because friends do that sort of thing.

Why family would not at least volunteer a small amount of assistance baffles me.
Not everyone is as nice as you, Red Zin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 09:05 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Sorry, I did not mean to mislead...Clayton and Castalia are not similar at all but thought that Clayton could be a good "not in Raleigh but still close by" alternative. Having children my biggest concern would be the school districts and I know several people in Clayton who love their schools as well as several Wake Co who do (and Durham and Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Orange). I haven't heard of anyone particularly thrilled with Nash Co schools.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'd agree - exceot maybe with Zebulon.

Not everyone is as nice as you, Red Zin.
Well, I'm not always out scouting rentals for people, but when I know a couple are moving to an area pretty much sight unseen with three kids, it's hard for me not to at least take the time to look at a house or two down the street from mine. Know what I mean?

There are so many rentals in the Cary/Apex/HS area, I'm really surprised the OP's sister hasn't at least pointed out good neighborhoods or SOMETHING.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:32 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
if you lived in Castalia but worked in Raleigh/Wake County, who would be getting your kids to and from school, and be with them after school? Sure, they're old enough to stay with themselves, but a whole new area with no friends, etc?

And why doesn't your husband keep the puppy or both dogs back in MN while you move here first?

As best we can tell, you just decided to move to NC "on a whim" with the only criteria being "a reasonable distance from my sister". You say neither of you have jobs here.

$1200/mo should be enough to get a 2-3 BR single family rental in the towns in Wake County east of Raleigh.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:33 AM

18 posts, read 26,341 times
Thank you, everyone. I was reacting to twinkles comment, but I do appreciate the advice. And it's not that she won't help, but it's help in the form of "you can stay with us until you get settled," or how we used their address on job applications so we appear local. I don't want to move my 4 person and 2 dog family into their 3 bedroom house, with 5 people already in it. I want housing in place before we move. And like I said, we get along, but aren't close, so I want to be in my own space with my own things. But as far as looking for a place for us, no, she isn't helping like that. We are from MN. Minnesota nice is a thing, but it's not Southern hospitality, for sure.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:37 AM

18 posts, read 26,341 times
My husband owns his own general contracting business here. He is moving his business there. That's why I am moving first, so he has everything finished up here and can focus on starting up there. Yeah, yeah we are moving just because we want to. Sorry? Don't worry, we don't plan on being leeches on NC.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:39 AM

110 posts, read 204,220 times
What about the possibility of short term rentals (like corporate housing) just until you get down here and secure a rental for yourself in Wake County? Just a thought. Might make it easier than switching school districts in a year to get them started in Wake County. The rental market is hot in the area, but there are rentals to be found for sure. I would work with a property management company perhaps. All that said, if you are happy with the idea of the commute and moving into Wake County later, then best of luck for your move and welcome to the area.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apennieformythoughts View Post
My husband owns his own general contracting business here. He is moving his business there. That's why I am moving first, so he has everything finished up here and can focus on starting up there. Yeah, yeah we are moving just because we want to. Sorry? Don't worry, we don't plan on being leeches on NC.
There's really not much to leech from here in NC. NC has very little in the way of support for people who don't have jobs or money. No worries about anyone here making that assumption.

If you move here and suddenly have no income, you're pretty much screwed.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:13 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
in the eastern half of Wake County, western portion of Johnston County, there have been 63 3 BR, dogs-allowed houses rent for $1200 or less in the last 90 days. And that is just through the MLS. I'd suspect in that area, less than 70% of homes rent through our MLS system.

So the good news is they do exist for you. But they do go quickly.

Craigslist should be very cautious, but it's not all a scam. You can certainly employ some real estate agent assistance here to sift through a few possibilities. It's not that hard to find out who owns this home in Castalia, whether it exists, whether that's the owner, etc.

But Castalia doesn't make a lot of sense if you expect your business/employment to be in Wake County. And nevermind as noted the Nash County schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary