Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:47 AM

332 posts, read 398,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
20% increase year-over-year? What market is that and how depressed was it?
My house probably lost 20% of it's value from 2008-2011. I have read the average house here has gone up 75% since 2012. The thing is those of us who have owned for 10 years are probably only seeing 50-60% appreciation overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 10:00 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
"It's Bo Time"

Old 07-14-2016, 10:26 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,269 times
Atta boy Bo!

Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Actually I should have said in Cary since that is where I have been looking. Good thing I admitted to being an outsider. Zillow calls it a "cool market" that is heavily leaning towards buyers. Is this accurate? Thanks.

Here's the link: Cary NC Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow
what do you think? What is your experience, having actually made offers on those homes?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
the phrase "for s*** and Giggles" couldn't be more apropos for Zillow. Because that is what it is. For entertainment purposes only. For the love of Pete, at least get over to Redfin if you're not ready to engage the professional services of an experienced agent.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:37 PM

339 posts, read 318,976 times
Hey Bo,

Saw you on WRAL this evening, nice to put a face with your posts !
Sure wish I had some property to sale up in the Raleigh area too, lol
location, location , location !

'For sale' signs not lasting long outside Triangle homes :: WRAL.com

Old 07-14-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what do you think? What is your experience, having actually made offers on those homes?
I'm not claiming to know but I have done quite a few real estate deals in the past around Florida and do know it's important to ask lots of questions to many different people to get the real picture of a market I don't live in. From everything I am reading the real bidding war action is in the 300k range and now I'm thinking that is the safest place to buy to avoid getting stuck if the inevitable recession hits sooner than later. The one big motivator to buy in the 400-500k area which is what I was thinking originally is that rates are low and I will probably spend less money buying than renting if I decide not to buy a house with cash.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 07-14-2016 at 11:05 PM..

Old 07-14-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the phrase "for s*** and Giggles" couldn't be more apropos for Zillow. Because that is what it is. For entertainment purposes only. For the love of Pete, at least get over to Redfin if you're not ready to engage the professional services of an experienced agent.
I have talked to an agent already. He is the reason I have been doing my own research in fact since he was trying to push me to buy something now without even living there for a while. Zillow is great. I can see everything that is selling, what it was listed at, what it actually sold for. It's a great tool for anyone who doesn't have full MLS access.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 07-14-2016 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 12:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
I have talked to an agent already. He is the reason I have been doing my own research in fact since he was trying to push me to buy something now without even living there for a while. Zillow is great. I can see everything that is selling, what it was listed at, what it actually sold for. It's a great tool for anyone who doesn't have full MLS access.
Zillow isn't always accurate on any of those numbers, though. Just something to keep in mind.

When the recession hit here last time, we didn't have a huge housing crash. The only people that were really struggling around here were people who lost jobs AND were heavily mortgaged (as in, not a great interest rate and no real equity to speak of) because they couldn't sell their houses without paying money to get out of them.

And, that could happen in any price bracket, really. If you buy a 300k house and you owe most of what it's worth at the height of the market (say, you did a refi to remodel it or pay off some debts), then the market crashes and you lose a job and cannot keep making the same mortgage payment after a while, it'll be tougher to sell it if homes have lost a little value and your pool of buyers is smaller because people are afraid to make big purchases during a recession unless those are unavoidable purchases.

Is it harder to sell a house that is more expensive? Yes. But, it's hard to sell almost any house during a recession and come out doing really well on that transaction.

We went under contract for our house when the market was near the bottom and it had started to rise by the time we closed. We bought this house for about 70k less than it sold for when it was new. Now, the homes in our neighborhood are selling for roughly what we paid plus that 70k more that it sold for when it was new. That 70k represented a 10% drop, then rise in home prices, or thereabouts, in my neighborhood.

So, we've come full circle, pretty much.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:30 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Zillow is perfect for what I use it for. Like when traveling somewhere and I think, hmm, how much are these houses worth compared to back home. Or when we drove up A1A from Miami and we were all . I check Zillow and get a general idea of the costs in the neighborhood. Beyond that, it's pretty useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary