Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 04:19 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

[quote=Jkgourmet;44748015] I think it's entirely dependent on what your selling. And, to a lesser degree, the price point.

I buy and sell using CL (have for years and years) and OfferUp. I've sold stuff on CL for $10-$18,000 (a car). ...quote]

Eeee-Yup, Yup, Yup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 06:44 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Interesting. This explains why I have had very little traffic on Craigslist on a boat I have for sale. Not being a Facebook user I had no idea people migrated there. Is there a Facebook page that most people frequent for buy/sell/trade items?
No, not really. I belong to 10 groups in the area, and that's really just the tip of the iceberg. Some of them are location specific (Apex, Western Wake, North Raleigh, for example), and some of them are content specific (furniture only, jewelry only, childrens clothing and toys only, etc).

The people I know who use these sites prefer them to Craigslist because they're a bit less anonymous.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

The people I know who use these sites prefer them to Craigslist because they're a bit less anonymous.
Oh, okay. I like the anonymity of Craigslist. Allows me to get a better deal.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:22 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You might look into the many Buy/Sell/Trade sites on Facebook as opposed to Craigslist.
Why not both?

On CL, you might have better luck advertising it as "for sale", as in something you have that you want to sell, rather than something you make and sell regularly. Or actually having two ads, to sell it both ways. People relate to different things, and shop at different places, so it makes sense to try to appeal to all of them.

I think that the either/or mentality can only hold you back. There is no reason (I can think of) not to take advantage of free places to sell.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:23 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
I agree with JK and Mike, it depends on what you are selling. I have had great luck on Craigslist buying and selling furniture and home materials. Smaller items, DVDs, home décor, not so much.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:01 AM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
I've bought and sold on Ebay and Craigslist for quite a while. I use Ebay for things that are easy to ship, or are somewhat collectable, or may have wide appeal -- in an effort to cast as wide a net as possible.

I use Craigslist for things that are heavy or difficult to ship and not exceedingly expensive.

I've sold a couple of items recently on Nextdoor.com. In my neck of the woods, people frequently seem to ask what I consider to be too much money for items. I think of it as an online garage sale -- a way to get rid of something and make a few bucks, but that making money isn't the over-riding goal.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:16 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Why not both?

On CL, you might have better luck advertising it as "for sale", as in something you have that you want to sell, rather than something you make and sell regularly. Or actually having two ads, to sell it both ways. People relate to different things, and shop at different places, so it makes sense to try to appeal to all of them.

I think that the either/or mentality can only hold you back. There is no reason (I can think of) not to take advantage of free places to sell.
I prefer FB due to less anonymity. I'm just not comfortable with CL. So the either/or mentality works just fine for me.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I agree with JK and Mike, it depends on what you are selling. I have had great luck on Craigslist buying and selling furniture and home materials. Smaller items, DVDs, home décor, not so much.
Sal, that smaller stuff does sell on Offer Up - if you keep the prices down. (You'll need a smart phone or tablet for the app. You can't post ads from a laptop).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Why not both?

So smart. So logical.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:50 AM

527 posts, read 686,409 times
Yeah, along with what other folks said, the buy/sell/trade sites I am WAY more likely to buy/sell used goods on than on Craigslist. When we got married a few years back, I sold some things on CL, but felt a little safer on Facebook, as you can at least check out a profile pic and know who you are meeting.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:01 AM

73 posts, read 68,435 times
I've never had good luck with Facebook groups...too many no shows for my liking.

Craigslist has always been much more effective in buying/selling and getting the desired price as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary