Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 01:18 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I thought there were tons around the Brier Creek airport and still being built up around Page Rd.
Unless they are all active adult communities.
Yes, I think the ranch homes are all active adult communities except Regency at Brier Creek Country Club. It's not age restricted, but the vast majority of residents are 55+ and the homes are well above OP's price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 01:22 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Like many areas, our housing inventory is LOW. And...ranches or anything with a master down, is hard to come by.

Having said that, you'll find that the homes in good condition go FAST. My suggestion is that you have your Realtor set you up for an automatic search. As soon as a home that meets your criteria comes on the market, you'll be notified.

If you aren't ready to buy, you can still get a good idea of what is available. Or, which areas you may like and what you get (as far as housing) in each area.

It takes about 45 to 60 days to get a mortgage loan. That may help you know when to start actively looking to buy.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:46 AM

29 posts, read 26,091 times
Thank you! I'll follow up on the suggestions. Before I contact the Realtor I want to do my homework and be prepared with examples of what I do and do not like so we can move along the process.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:20 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowfly View Post
You should easily be able to find a brick ranch for under 300K, find one for 175K and drop 25K on a kitchen/bath remodel and you're good to go, with extra money to pay for lawn care service.
Where can I find this kitchen/bath remodel for 25k?? I'm excited!!

Old 09-28-2016, 10:25 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, I think the ranch homes are all active adult communities except Regency at Brier Creek Country Club. It's not age restricted, but the vast majority of residents are 55+ and the homes are well above OP's price range.
I think builders have finally realized that ranch homes ARE desirable!

There are many n'hoods now being built with ranch homes BUT they are pricey! The Manors at Old Leadmine are STARTING at $500,000!

Most of the new n'hoods in North Raleigh are $500,000s and $600,000s.

There is a new n'hood off Falls of Neuse, behind the racket club but I think they are in the $400,000s.

There are newer ranches to be found in Youngsville but even those are going to be in the $300,000s.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:10 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowfly View Post
You should easily be able to find a brick ranch for under 300K, find one for 175K and drop 25K on a kitchen/bath remodel and you're good to go, with extra money to pay for lawn care service. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I also want to know where these 175 ranches are that only need kitchen & bath updates..
I don't want to be in Creemoor, Fuquay or Franklinton

Old 09-28-2016, 12:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I also want to know where these 175 ranches are that only need kitchen & bath updates..
I'm guessing they're not in the core of the Triangle area. I was wondering the same.

Also, that 25k kitchen/bath remodel is exciting and I want in on it.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Like many areas, our housing inventory is LOW. And...ranches or anything with a master down, is hard to come by.

Having said that, you'll find that the homes in good condition go FAST. My suggestion is that you have your Realtor set you up for an automatic search. As soon as a home that meets your criteria comes on the market, you'll be notified.

If you aren't ready to buy, you can still get a good idea of what is available. Or, which areas you may like and what you get (as far as housing) in each area.

It takes about 45 to 60 days to get a mortgage loan. That may help you know when to start actively looking to buy.
45-60? USDA takes a while but FHA and conventional are like 30-35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

Typical kitchen "remodel" in N Raleigh is painting the cabinets and tossing some granite in there. That's $5k with sink and faucet. Flooring can vary but lets say another $3,000 which is on the high side by far. That's $8k, which leaves $17,000 for a new bathroom which is easy to do. You can spruce up a bathroom to make it feel more updated without having to gut it. New lights, faucets, paint, paint shower surround, etc... If you want to gut both down to studs and use top of the line stuff then $25k wont be close. If you find deals and get the right people, and maybe do a little DIY you can get it done for $25k. I did a brand new kitchen in my home for around $10k and that includes all new cabinets, level 3 granite, farm house sink, nice faucet/disposal, wood floors, etc... I found the right people, and did more diy than the average person is comfortable doing. That includes assembling and installing all cabinets (10 lowers & 8 uppers). I had a budget and made it work. I have a knack for finding good deals on things. Cabinets came from Ikea which I absolutely love. Found a granite guy that cut me a deal because I refer the crap out of him. My wood floor guy came from a builder that I met. He does beautiful work and his prices were lower than anyone else I had quote. Met a great plumber/electrician that does side work on nights and weekends. His prices were great and I paid him in cash. (he does plumbing, electric, and hvac for a large business.

Let me give my $.02 about ranch homes. I have always had ranch homes, and when I moved here was quite surprised how rare they actually are. When they do get listed they sell for a premium. You can get away from things and get an older brick ranch pretty easily and still be within 45 minutes of the airport. If you want to be close to Raleigh $300k or less is doable. I bought my short sale ranch home about 9 months ago in N Raleigh. I have invested about $35k into it and the value has gone up about $75k. The house was a dump but I knew I would make it work. I looked for a ranch that had what I wanted for a couple years easily. Most of the ranches I saw were the older brick ones and didn't have the layout or feeling I wanted.

There are new neighborhoods in the triangle that offer ranch plans. Hire a Realtor that knows the neighborhoods and can make suggestions. Bryson Village has some ranch plans (NE Raleigh), Parks at Bass Lake in Holly Springs does as well. It's not just 55+ communities. If you are okay with resales then you can find ranches scattered all over the place. Have your agent get you in Client Connect and be ready to see homes as soon as they are available. Also have your agent reach out to the bigger teams in the area to see if they have any coming soon that fit your needs. Some coming soon homes are in the MLS and some are not.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:29 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Almost all ranch houses are 3/2. OP indicated a desire to be within 45 minutes of the airport, near parks , trails and stores.
We had a ranch that was 4/2 which is why I asked. It was hard to find and a bit of a dump when we moved in. Renovated it fully...good house for the time we had it but also realized ranch living is not for us.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:58 AM

62 posts, read 131,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Older neighborhoods of Raleigh, Garner, Cary etc. I'm all about promoting neighborhood revitalization, in-fill, upward growth instead of the urban sprawl of new neighborhoods. After all the new neighborhoods will only be new for so long and then maintenance will have to occur, some folks will keep them maintained and updated and some folks will not. I think this forum steers people to new development when there is so much character and/or really good real estate deals in the older developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary