Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 10:41 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
No early voting in South Carolina and other states. Absentee voting is available in SC, but I saw yesterday that lines for ballots in Conway were hours long. Some people were leaving. Lines will be long tomorrow too. Some people won't be able...physically or otherwise to wait that long. SOL I guess...Right?

No early voting where I moved from either. I do agree, if you are going to be away it is nice to have the option but I am so accustomed to voting on election day that I never considered voting early. I will be there tomorrow though.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:42 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Interesting, but totally different
than going in as a proxy and pretending
to be the person you are voting for ...

The fact people are asking "what is so wrong with it"
is proof we need voter ID laws....
Yes you're right. It's not the same thing. I don't know if the court decision referenced in the linked article would cover that. Hmmm.

Quote:
No early voting in South Carolina and other states. Absentee voting is available in SC, but I saw yesterday that lines for ballots in Conway were hours long. Some people were leaving. Lines will be long tomorrow too. Some people won't be able...physically or otherwise to wait that long. SOL I guess...Right?
I always think about needing a bathroom break while in line. It hasn't happened to me, but if you have a really long line that could be a problem. Even if the people around you allow you to come back to the line, who would actually recognize the people they were standing in line with? I certainly wouldn't it.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:45 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I will be there tomorrow though.
Had I not early voted I would be there too...waiting in line all day long if that's what it took

Old 11-07-2016, 10:57 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Interesting, but totally different
than going in as a proxy and pretending
to be the person you are voting for ...

The fact people are asking "what is so wrong with it"
is proof we need voter ID laws....
Good grief, kelly. Give it a rest. Voter ID laws would not stop twin sisters (or, hell, even some regular old brothers and sisters) from voting for each other.

Let. It. Go.

I was wondering why the dramatic reaction to what I assume was twingles' attempt at being lighthearted about her voting choices should anything unfortunate prevent her from getting to the polls.

For all we know, twingles and her sister look exactly alike.

How would this voter ID mess stop that?

We could do what they do in other countries and have people dip their finger in ink that is REALLY tough to remove once they're done voting to avoid double-voting.

But, other than that... as I said twice earlier, I was just entertaining an academic discussion of the subject of voting by proxy.

That's really all it was.

Don't worry. I won't have anyone else go out and vote for me while I'm out canceling out all your votes and adding a couple extra with my REGISTERED voters who live in my household.

We all have ID, btw.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Had I not early voted I would be there too...waiting in line all day long if that's what it took
I'll take my laptop and tether so I can work while I vote, if necessary.

I don't want anyone to think I'm living off their hard-earned tax dollars (of which I usually pay far more than the types of people who like to gripe about such mess in the first place).

Old 11-07-2016, 01:25 PM

18,052 posts, read 15,639,191 times
In 2012 my polling place was practically empty when I walked in to vote after lunch/early afternoon. I was amazed. It was a total of 10 minutes, including driving the 1/2 mi there and back.

People complain, but when asked what a better solution would be it's always <crickets chirping> followed by more complaining. Just living in a country where you have the freedom to vote, the freedom to complain, the freedom to write in someone's name if you don't like who's running is a freedom most take for granted.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:34 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
A better solution would be having enough polling places open to meet early voting demand. We should be making it as easy as possible for people to vote, not putting up roadblocks.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:38 PM

How many are enough for early voting?

There were more polling places available this year than last time and for longer.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:45 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
We went to vote early. Over 1000 people in line at 905 on Saturday and both times I stopped by during the week. I'll be getting there at 630 and bring my laptop to work in case I'm waiting a while.

For early voting they should have one day where all the polls are open that will be open election day. Maybe the Saturday before. They'll never actually do that though...

Old 11-07-2016, 01:49 PM

I will continue to use absentee ballot for voting in the future. In fact, I've already put a reminder to myself in my Goog Calendar app 40 days before the next election in Nov 2020 to request an absentee ballot. A little planning goes a very long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary