Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:14 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,811,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
It would be interesting to see some socioeconomic data along with these test scores such as family income, % of students on free and reduced lunch and percentage of students with parents who have undergrad(+) degree/s. As these demographics themselves are excellent indicators of student academic achievement, it might give some unique insight into which schools are "over-performing" and which ones are "under-performing".

Something like this analysis from the Seattle area
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/n...y-schools.html

It gives kudos to schools that, though they don't have the highest test scores, have surprisingly high scores given their socioeconomically diverse (i.e. disadvantaged) student population. In a way, these are judged to be "the best schools". Makes sense to me; in a school where most households make 150K+/year and at least one parent has a masters+, I would expect test scores to be exceptional.
Yes, it would be interesting to see. And the information is in the NC Report Card site. Maybe I will do a list of scores by "economically disadvantaged" students and one with those who are not. I agree that there are some schools that are doing very well with poorer students, but that information gets buried within the list of schools that do so well because most of their population is advantaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary