Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times

Advertisements

Looks like some changes to the timeline for finishing the 540 loop.

The section between 55 and 401 had been hoped to begin construction in 2018, but it's been pushed back to 2020 in part because they'll need time to plan for minimizing impact on the wetlands along the Orange Route.

The good news is that the second piece from 401 to 40 has been moved up from 2024 to 2020 start, so they'll be able to build the whole thing at once.

The final piece from 40 back around to the other end of 540 starts in 2027.

A number of other project changes also discussed in the article, including removal of the I-40 widening to six lanes between Durham and 85 from the timeline, addition of 147 widening between East End Connector and 40, and acceleration of the 70 freeway and superstreet conversions between 540 and Durham.

540 toll road loop extension in Wake County delayed, according to NCDOT plan | News & Observer

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=13426
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 06:24 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
I remember when we first moved here in 2007 and they were still planning on redesigning Falls of Neuse Road. Then, when it finally started, it seemed to take forever to complete. But just recently while driving on the old "New Falls of Neuse Road", now rebranded to be "Falls of Neuse Road", I was thinking that both the wait and the results were well worth it.

I look forward to 540 becoming a complete loop and will gladly pay the price for using it when necessary.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:08 AM

50 posts, read 111,958 times
Why don't they first begin the final leg from 40 to end of 540 as it appears no issues there. When that is completed the rest should be ready to go so this can finally get completed? Very frustrating as a landowner on this final leg- we are stuck with no legal recourse- this is not a restricted corridor so NCDOT can take as long as they want to buy while we have to sit here. No one will buy because some decade a road might come through here! Get this completed the quickest way possible to benefit the traffic that gets worse every year and release these homeowners stuck on this route indefinitely.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
I guess while it's not awesome the one section is slightly delayed, it is good that the other is sped up by 4 years and that this thing is finally really moving forward after 30 years of waiting.

The connection from Knightdale around will also be great for a lot of people. Should take a good amount of pressure off the section of 40 they're rebuilding. Between the continuous accel/decel lanes they are adding and that, maybe it won't have to be widened.

Even simple stuff like coming from the beach for lots of N Raleigh people will be much better.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 AM

37 posts, read 42,688 times
Wasnt this thread about 540?...Anyway, the area is growing not for us but for our kids...The problem with NC in the past was that we had all these great colleges and the kids would leave after they graduated. Not anymore, the kids are staying and finding very good jobs. I came down from NY but went to nc state and then moved back to ny because nothing was here. Decided to raise my kids here and very happy with the growth...The good thing about NC unlike alot of places is that you can always move to the beach, the mountains, the big city(charlotte) or the RTP...Now back on the subject, I am a little disappointed about 540. The major issue here is they have not kept up with the growth due to its rapid pace so 540 is so needed to release the tension

Old 01-08-2017, 11:27 AM

141 posts, read 163,191 times
I don't have any hopes that the project to complete 540 will start on time to be honest, I mean it took them over 50 YEARS to even START the east-end connector project. But on the plus side, I didn't expect the Triangle Expressway to even be built until the 2020s, and thankfully it's already finished, albeit with tolls.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:14 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingocat1000 View Post
I don't have any hopes that the project to complete 540 will start on time to be honest, I mean it took them over 50 YEARS to even START the east-end connector project. But on the plus side, I didn't expect the Triangle Expressway to even be built until the 2020s, and thankfully it's already finished, albeit with tolls.
I think what works in favor of 540 (compared to 885) is that it's not cutting through any established city neighborhoods along the way to 40.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:31 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times
I just caught this...

Quote:
The final piece from 40 back around to the other end of 540 starts in 2027.
Seems like that's the easiest piece to build, and the most logical since it completes the Raleigh bypass. Why so late compared to everything else?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:14 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I just caught this...

Seems like that's the easiest piece to build, and the most logical since it completes the Raleigh bypass. Why so late compared to everything else?
Because it makes too much sense.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:29 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I just caught this...

I would assume that it is because once the 40-40 connection is complete, revenue from the toll road will increase dramatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary