Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:24 AM

13 posts, read 37,247 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm looking to shop for a new TV. Best Buy was a good starting option but all the TVs show internal feeds, basically programming intended to maximize the quality of the picture. I'd like to be able to shop and view what I'd usually be watching, which is live sports. Any recommendations on where I can shop to see this? I live in Chapel Hill so would prefer closer to that but am open to doing some driving so I make a good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 08:32 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krupina View Post
I'd like to be able to shop and view what I'd usually be watching, which is live sports.
Any recommendations...
I suggest preparing a cart with a big pot of chili and a couple cases of good beer...
then walking around your neighborhood offering this Super Bowl cheer...
while you take afew minutes to experience what the various TV pictures and features are like.

Take good notes.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:47 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Consumer Reports is just one place with some in-depth reviews.

I am hesitant, also. We have a circa 2008 Insignia plasma and the picture for watching sports is just great.
No rough edges in motion.
But, it is 50" and I would like to upsize. Maybe to 65".
I watch hockey, and I want the same picture quality and don't know if I can get it in an LED TV for any reasonable price.

I notice that most nice bright TVs on display don't show much fast motion, stop and start, and that makes me nervous about getting happy.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:49 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Read the AVS Forums so see what others say that watch a lot of action sports:
Best 65" plus LCD to replace excellent Plasma - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Also,
https://www.cnet.com/news/a-plasma-l...de-to-led-lcd/

And, more firms will offer OLED this Spring!

Once you decide:

Shop Newegg outlet online; save sales tax. Usually free shipping. Great returns policy.

Or, order/buy at Costco, they double mfr warranty and if you use their credit card, it adds another year.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:54 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Read the AVS Forums so see what others say that watch a lot of action sports:
Best 65" plus LCD to replace excellent Plasma - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Also,
https://www.cnet.com/news/a-plasma-l...de-to-led-lcd/

And, more firms will offer OLED this Spring!

Once you decide:

Shop Newegg outlet online; save sales tax. Usually free shipping. Great returns policy.

Or, order/buy at Costco, they double mfr warranty and if you use their credit card, it adds another year.
totally.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:01 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Consumer Reports is just one place with some in-depth reviews.

I am hesitant, also. We have a circa 2008 Insignia plasma and the picture for watching sports is just great.
No rough edges in motion.
But, it is 50" and I would like to upsize. Maybe to 65".
I watch hockey, and I want the same picture quality and don't know if I can get it in an LED TV for any reasonable price.

I notice that most nice bright TVs on display don't show much fast motion, stop and start, and that makes me nervous about getting happy.
Mike, we have a 65" Vizio LED and hockey is GREAT on this tv. My brother was staying with me when hockey season started and he was like "WOW" hockey looks awesome on your tv.
Too bad he's a Crapitals fan.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:18 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Mike, we have a 65" Vizio LED and hockey is GREAT on this tv. My brother was staying with me when hockey season started and he was like "WOW" hockey looks awesome on your tv.
Too bad he's a Crapitals fan.
Thanks.
Sorry about your wayward brother.
Is he the black sheep, or did you come from a family of similar ilk?

Old 02-05-2017, 11:30 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Thanks.
Sorry about your wayward brother.
Is he the black sheep, or did you come from a family of similar ilk?
Too funny! We grew up in the DC area and he was corrupted by the locals.
They didn't get to me though, I just liked Gretzky growing up.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:48 AM

13 posts, read 37,247 times
Thanks for the replies, including to the AVS forum, which I've used but hadn't hit upon that specific topic. You all have hit on my major concern. I have a 50 inch Samsung plasma that is probably 8 years old, and it appears totally clear to me for sports, including hockey. I remember how much better it was than all the LCDs when I compared before buying back then. Going for a new TV now I expected all the motion blur issues to be behind us, given presumed advanced in technology in 8 years. Alas, I have learned otherwise.

I'm glad to hear of the positive report of the Vizio for hockey. That's among the ones I'm considering, either the M or the P series. Going to OLED is a big jump in terms of price, and I've read some reports of people having motion blur with it (although they're always happy with everything else). But it is the one TV that in Best Buy has looked like a markedly higher picture quality to me, providing a sense of depth that is suggestive of 3D.

So, 2 questions:
(1) Back to the original reason for the post, does anyone have recs of stores in the Triangle where you can see lots of TVs showing live feeds, rather than canned content chosen to make the picture appear as good as possible?
(2) Will Costco deliver and set up a TV? I'm very wary of transporting and moving a 65 inch TV myself.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:08 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krupina View Post
(2) Will Costco deliver and set up a TV? I'm very wary of transporting and moving a 65 inch TV myself.
TV's are crazy light these days - I wouldn't worry about it. They're packed well.

I almost got sucked into the superbowl TV trap today. Thankfully I got so annoyed by the sales people at Best Buy, I just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. I think if I buy I'll just buy at Walmart where nobody cares if you get helped or not

I have a 46" Samsung LED that's over the fireplace and really is too small for the room. I really like the TV though, so it's hard to justify a new one just for size. If I do buy a new one, I want something with Roku or Chromecast built-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary