Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Living in bear country, waste food in the garbage is a guarantee that your garbage will be visited, and you will have a mess to clean up. Keeping it in the house is not a viable solution, not unless the sense of smell has ceased to function.

Several things are not put down my disposal, primarily for the sake of my own plumbing and for the sewer districts plumbing. I have learned (the hard way) that potato peelings is a guaranteed blockage, and grease is a problem for both mine and the sewer systems pipes.

Grease goes into a coffee can, when full then into the freezer, then out on garbage day.

What's next, having to show ID and "register" your garbage disposal at time of purchase? Black market or bootlegged disposals?

And people will continue to pour grease down the drain followed by hot water to get it out of the pipes they are responsible for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
I wonder if one was to turn their disposal by hand with a crank if it would be illegal? Does anyone know if its only the electric disposals that are out lawed as drain clogging, waste treatment plant enemy number ones? Well I for one think number 2's trumps garbage disposals every time! But sometimes my math fails me to think logically!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:40 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
so.....won't the people who send grease down the disposal be the same people who will just pour it down the drain????

Old 03-24-2008, 06:01 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Default Dang it! I knew this would happen....

I was in Raleigh visiting my son over Easter weekend, and his disposal gave out!

"How do I replace it Dad?"

"Sorry son, your town leaders have declared it illegal to replace a failed garbage disposal."

I didn't even look for a replacement at the big-box stores. I am assuming they check everyone's zip code as part of the sales transaction to avoid being fined themselves.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:47 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I was in Raleigh visiting my son over Easter weekend, and his disposal gave out!

"How do I replace it Dad?"

"Sorry son, your town leaders have declared it illegal to replace a failed garbage disposal."

I didn't even look for a replacement at the big-box stores. I am assuming they check everyone's zip code as part of the sales transaction to avoid being fined themselves.

So now those that simply must have their garbage disposals will be seen lurking in dark corners, paying cash for a new garbage disposal??? Oh my...I wonder what would happen if guns were banned???

Vicki

Old 04-15-2008, 01:42 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,181 times
Just for posterity and archival purposes, Raleigh has reversed this decision thanks to, I believe, the research efforts of various individuals in NY. Frustrating to think that such a ban wasn't researched heavily enough by the powers that be to prevent the ban from occurring in the first place.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Just for posterity and archival purposes, Raleigh has reversed this decision thanks to, I believe, the research efforts of various individuals in NY. Frustrating to think that such a ban wasn't researched heavily enough by the powers that be to prevent the ban from occurring in the first place.
Thanks.

Mine is very noisy and I can ask the landlord to replace it.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Actually, they haven't reversed it quite yet. The council will vote on it today. But it seems very likely that it will be reversed.

The committe had a meeting last week where they considered evidence against the ban. I saw on the news that a spokeman from a disposal manufacturer was there to plead their case. Also, a jar of greasy nastiness from one of the blockages was passed around. They said it had been analyzed and determined that food waste has not been a major cause of the blockages in the sewer lines (although grease seems to be a major issue).

Old 04-15-2008, 09:22 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
"although grease seems to be a major issue"
Now, then, imagine how much of that grease never makes it to the sewer and ends up clogging the arteries of those pouring it down the drain...

Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 PM

33 posts, read 59,701 times
Seems to me that this is just a way to deal with a poorly designed system. How is it that other major cities aren't banning disposals? Sounds like they're just shifting the responsibility to the residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary