Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 12:24 AM

353 posts, read 458,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
So today our 200 Mpbs for $54.99 rate expired. It's now $64.99 and Spectrum insists that they are unable to make changes to "legacy" TWC accounts without converting to Spectrum first. Here are the pathetic "deals" they offered over the phone (which we promptly declined):

100 Mbps: $54.99 for 12 months, then $64.99

300 Mbps: $84.99 for 12 months, then $104.99

The best part is if you downgrade to 100 Mbps and decide to upgrade speeds at any time, there is a mandatory $200 activation fee.

This sucks...
I have the same plan as you, and mine went up to $70 from $65. I have had this plan for 2 years so I know it was not a promo price since that ended last May. Sadly this is the best option I have. Neither Google Fiber or AT&T are available in my complex and I won't be downgrading. I will be here for another 2-3 years but after that I will definitely be looking to move somewhere where there are more options. No doubt my Internet will be pushing $80 by then. Charter considers us 'legacy customers' that they are more than happy to part ways with, so I am more than happy to part ways with them when I have the first possible chance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 10:28 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
I cut the cord two weeks ago. Use cell phone only now, internet through Century Link and Roku/Sling/Netflix/antenna. Very satisfied and pay just $145/month for everything. That is because I got the 1G internet due to a gaming child. But an average person wouldn't need that much. I just don't like lag, lol

Old 05-19-2017, 02:18 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Spectrum rolls out lower cost broadband service for seniors, qualified customers :: Editor's Blog at WRAL TechWire

also, nice deal:
https://www.fatwallet.com/deals/free...iption-3303182

Last edited by K4GPB; 05-19-2017 at 03:01 PM..

Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
How is it possible companies give discounts to only seniors? Isn't that age discrimination? I would gladly downgrade from 50 mb service to 30 to save $25/month.

Edit: just Googled it, perfectly legal. BS

Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
How is it possible companies give discounts to only seniors? Isn't that age discrimination? I would gladly downgrade from 50 mb service to 30 to save $25/month.

Edit: just Googled it, perfectly legal. BS
You left out the part about "qualified customers". So, to clarify, this deal is for anyone on a fixed income. The purpose of the deal is to "bridge the digital gap". How's this any different than "making the rich pay their fair share"? You're right. Total BS.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:38 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
This isn't all seniors, only those on SSI (not regular Social Security). We're talking the lowest of the low income here. I'm sure they'd gladly trade financial positions with those complaining about the perk.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You left out the part about "qualified customers". So, to clarify, this deal is for anyone on a fixed income. The purpose of the deal is to "bridge the digital gap". How's this any different than "making the rich pay their fair share"? You're right. Total BS.
Well higher income wage earners pay the same tax rates as those on low incomes on that portion of their income generally. Those wealthy enough to earn most income from passive LTCG don't pay any federal tax on up to $75k in income and then generally 15%/20% after that.

Pretty good deal in most books.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:32 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
This isn't all seniors, only those on SSI (not regular Social Security). We're talking the lowest of the low income here. I'm sure they'd gladly trade financial positions with those complaining about the perk.

Shall we get into the ACA (Obamacare) subsidies next?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:04 AM

95 posts, read 131,254 times
My TWC/Spectrum promo just ended, so my bill jumped $43 this month.

Thinking of switching back over to AT&T Uverse, which as a service I actually prefer in a few ways to TWC/Spectrum (e.g., whole house DVR; no need to rent adapters for $4/month to only receive basic channels; internet was much more reliable) even before factoring in the price savings.

The only thing holding me up a bit is the 2-year commitment that comes with the AT&T bundle. I'm not sure I would switch to Google Fiber right away even if it were available, but I like to keep my options open. I'm basically adjacent to North Hills -- I wonder how much longer until that build out reaches me.

The other option is to stick with TWC/Spectrum, which would mean going through the whole song and dance. Already reached out to them via Facebook and they responded with a number to call (they used to call YOU if you sent them a FB message about lowering your bill). Ugh.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:10 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Woodrow View Post
My TWC/Spectrum promo just ended, so my bill jumped $43 this month.

Thinking of switching back over to AT&T Uverse, which as a service I actually prefer in a few ways to TWC/Spectrum (e.g., whole house DVR; no need to rent adapters for $4/month to only receive basic channels; internet was much more reliable) even before factoring in the price savings.

The only thing holding me up a bit is the 2-year commitment that comes with the AT&T bundle. I'm not sure I would switch to Google Fiber right away even if it were available, but I like to keep my options open. I'm basically adjacent to North Hills -- I wonder how much longer until that build out reaches me.

The other option is to stick with TWC/Spectrum, which would mean going through the whole song and dance. Already reached out to them via Facebook and they responded with a number to call (they used to call YOU if you sent them a FB message about lowering your bill). Ugh.
They don't give a rat's patoot if you kick them out.

Arrogant SOB's who deserve to be boycotted and bankrupted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary