Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 03:46 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,495,661 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, I'm interested in hearing thoughts on these Raleigh suburbs. Do y'all believe it's wise for transplants to look into these areas as Raleigh continues to grow? In other words, will the hustle and bustle get worse closer to downtown, areas around Crabtree, Cary, etc. Will it be beneficiary to settle further out? Also, is it possible that further development will reach these parts or will Falls Lake place a barrier? More specifically, subdivisions along roads like Norwood, Victory Church, Old Creedmoor, Mt. Vernon Church, Pleasant Union Church, Possum Track, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 04:10 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,729,877 times
It depends on the person really. Some people like to be near the hustle/bustle. Others find it grating.

I will say that if someone thinks that sprawl will stop anytime soon and decides to live near the outskirts of the outer (540) belt-line, have I got news for them, lol. I really wish we could "reign it in" and try to densify what we have now.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:48 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
I think developments will eventually stretch north of 540 once the area of North Raleigh between 440 and 540 completely fills in.

Another factor though will be how much the City of Raleigh decides to annex. If the City decides to hold pat and not extend sewer/water out there, it could be a factor in how much of that actually develops but I guess we'll see.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:00 PM

8 posts, read 7,923 times
I would think restrictions for the Falls Lake and Lower Neuse watershed areas would limit potential future subdivisions in that area, at least with regard to the kind of homes developers want to build these days (high profit margin homes on tiny plots of land).

Old 04-03-2017, 08:29 PM

703 posts, read 780,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I think developments will eventually stretch north of 540 once the area of North Raleigh between 440 and 540 completely fills in.
Not sure if you've been out this way (N of 540)lately, but it's pretty well filled in between 540 and Route 98 already (within Wake County). I don't know that there's many more large plots of land on which to develop subdivisions, outside of the horse farms.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:51 PM

735 posts, read 1,585,021 times
We recently sold our Mid/North Raleigh (n.ridge) home and purchased in a subdivision right off Old Creedmoor and Norwood (true north Raleigh). My understanding is that due to watershed restrictions the only homes being built out here are on 1-2+ acre lots mostly exceeding the standard budget 800-2m+. We love the beautiful area and truly hope the low end development stays away including the hustle and bustle. We can take a short drive to get into that mess if we want to.

Truly we have the best of all worlds out here. Easy access to 540, back roads to RTP without an oz of traffic, shopping centers nearby, large lots, low crime, no congestion, custom built homes, and lower taxes compared. Subdivision is calm and quiet and just so peaceful.

We will stay here till we die.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:06 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Not sure if you've been out this way (N of 540)lately, but it's pretty well filled in between 540 and Route 98 already (within Wake County). I don't know that there's many more large plots of land on which to develop subdivisions, outside of the horse farms.
I don't know either. But I do know that at one point in Raleigh's history, the people living in North Raleigh thought the same way - and now that's quite different. So time will tell.

I do agree that there are other directions that Raleigh can more easily grow.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:31 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,358,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Out of curiosity, I'm interested in hearing thoughts on these Raleigh suburbs. Do y'all believe it's wise for transplants to look into these areas as Raleigh continues to grow? In other words, will the hustle and bustle get worse closer to downtown, areas around Crabtree, Cary, etc. Will it be beneficiary to settle further out? Also, is it possible that further development will reach these parts or will Falls Lake place a barrier? More specifically, subdivisions along roads like Norwood, Victory Church, Old Creedmoor, Mt. Vernon Church, Pleasant Union Church, Possum Track, etc.
Falls Lake itself isn't a barrier to development, but the area south of Hwy 98 and west of Falls of Neuse provides large lots (avg density of 1-2 acres) while still being convenient to RTP. You can find some new construction in this area, but you will pay for it, with $600K being on the low end and the high end being well north of $1 million. Move further north or east and the prices will drop. You can find resells at a lower price point depending on the home size and age - similar to the rest of the Triangle in general.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
Look at this Wake County map

http://www.wakegov.com/planning/maps...ons_A-size.pdf

and you'll see that most of the area north of 540 between Leesville Road and Old Falls of Neuse Road is zoned for watershed protection -- which, as stated elsewhere in this thread, means big lots and consequently expensive lots. These areas drain into Falls Lake. South of 540, most of the land drains southward into Crabtree Creek.

As for annexation, the NC General Assembly basically put an end to forced annexation five years ago. Voluntary annexation is still possible, but as the name implies it requires consent of every owner of the parcels in question. A developer of a new subdivision can do this if it owns the entire property, but there's very little chance that 100% of a group of existing homeowners would opt for annexation.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,546,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
It depends on the person really. Some people like to be near the hustle/bustle. Others find it grating.

I will say that if someone thinks that sprawl will stop anytime soon and decides to live near the outskirts of the outer (540) belt-line, have I got news for them, lol. I really wish we could "reign it in" and try to densify what we have now.
You can't densify it. It's in the Falls Lake Watershed and zoned specifically to avoid large population densities. That is not going to change anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary