Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 06:56 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
Scorp,

That was my observation, too. Isn't it interesting that one high school in a small to medium sized city can have such a range of people? But would you want to send your child to a school where they would be surrounded by potential Nobel winners but also felons and suspected murderers?

Alice
See my post in the other thread on this.

By the way, in my suburban school we didn't have any students arrested beyond DUIs (not to minimize those) - but, a notable portion of those students came from families involved in organized crime. So, if we're talking felons, let's spread that definition out to include all demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Very interesting that this suspect went to Jordan High when it was just announced that the Junior Nobel Prize winner also went to the same school (I say this intentionally to balance out information about that school) (I have no idea how good the school is.
In 2007 Jordan High School was ranked among the top 5% of high schools in the nation by Newsweek Magazine.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ls-2007-a.html

As for Phelps ... I think the TOS forbids me from using that sort of language ...

Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Looks like the second guy is also tied to the death of a Duke grad student in January.

Teen Charged in 2 Students' Deaths :: WRAL.com

Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
Scorp,

That was my observation, too. Isn't it interesting that one high school in a small to medium sized city can have such a range of people? But would you want to send your child to a school where they would be surrounded by potential Nobel winners but also felons and suspected murderers?

Alice
So what do we do? Should we all home school our children and teach them to live in fear? The problem is we never know who we are surrounded by.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:36 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
How sad that college students are now considered targets :
Teen Charged in 2 Students' Deaths :: WRAL.com

Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 AM

560 posts, read 1,548,531 times
Default Charge the parents!

Hi guys,

I read about the arrest of the 2 kids (whom police called men?) who committed the Chapel Hill murder. I'm very sad about this since they are just kids. Where were the parents? Is it not their responsibility to raise good kids? How did they go the criminal route instead of staying in school and getting busy being teenagers? I'm sorry guys but I say charge the parents for being so irresponsible about raising these kids. 9 out of 10 times, it is the parents who hurt their own kids by not caring/disciplining enough, rather than the system. When I look back at my childhood and remember how much I was beaten/spanked/disciplined, I thank my parents every day that they did that to me because that's why I am who I am today. Give these kids a break and go after the parents!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:51 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
Quote:
Give these kids a break
You must be joking.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Since when is a 21-year old considered a "kid"??

Sure, the other guy is 17, but still, hardly a "kid" who can't tell the difference between right and wrong and can't make decisions on his own...

Old 03-13-2008, 07:54 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
This statement is just a little too broad -- while parents may be held complicit, liable, responsible, whatever, in many cases, there are plenty examples of children intent on doing wrong.

It is a shame the legal system, and prisons, are not more of a deterrent. It used to be real punishment to spend time in a juvenile facility, jail cell, or prison.

I am more than certain that public school teachers, social workers, juvenile probation officers, and judges, could provide just as many examples of children with good parents gone 'bad,' and children with 'sorry' parents who did very well.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:55 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Give these kids a break and go after the parents!
You're kidding right? Surely you don't think these two are merely victims of their environment?

NO one made them kill this girl, regardless of the type of childhood they may or may not have had.

FRY EM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary