Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 08:01 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,019 times

Advertisements

I'm sticking my neck out here, but remember what happened when the whole nation rushed to charge and convict the Durham lacrosse team? I'm just saying that these are suspects--until they confessed or have been convicted in a court of law, we don't know that they're responsible for this crime.

Of course I'm a bleeding heart liberal, and the rest of you all might just want to get a posse on over to the Orange County Court House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
Life is risky business so I don't see trying to avoid it. As a parent, the vey contrasting news of the two (or three) Jordan students brings up in me the sincere question of opportunity vs risk for my child's (or any child's) education. Would I feel comfortable sending her to a school with very talented students but also with others who are suspected of murder? I contrast this to sending her to a "safe" but unremarkable school, such as the one that I attended way back when. On a slightly larger scale, we faced a similar question when we moved from a small "safer" town but with fewer opportunies to the Triangle. Obviously we moved here, but I do wince when I hear of crime, especially when it is close to home.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
I'm sticking my neck out here, but remember what happened when the whole nation rushed to charge and convict the Durham lacrosse team? I'm just saying that these are suspects--until they confessed or have been convicted in a court of law, we don't know that they're responsible for this crime.

Of course I'm a bleeding heart liberal, and the rest of you all might just want to get a posse on over to the Orange County Court House.
I'm also all for our courts' motto of innocence until proven guilty. However, when your face shows up on an ATM camera and you're trying to use the bank card of a girl who was just murdered, this cannot be a good thing, no matter how you look at it. One of them is at the very least guilty of attempting to use her card to steal her money.

I personally try to reserve judgement until all facts come to light, and we definitely don't have all the facts yet. I'm guessing, however, that the Chapel Hill police have enough information to make these charges. It is also interesting that they tied one of the perps to another student's murder back in January.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 AM

69 posts, read 182,303 times
The 17 year old is being charged with another murder today (a Duke Grad student, per the latest news reports). These two low functioning, bottom feeding pieces of sub-human debris need to be executed quickly, in public. We (society) owe them nothing. And, others floating around in backwaters with the same profiles as these two thugs should be identified, and taken out, now.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
17 year olds cannot be executed anymore, thanks to the US Supreme Court.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Hi guys,

I read about the arrest of the 2 kids (whom police called men?) who committed the Chapel Hill murder. I'm very sad about this since they are just kids. Where were the parents? Is it not their responsibility to raise good kids? How did they go the criminal route instead of staying in school and getting busy being teenagers? I'm sorry guys but I say charge the parents for being so irresponsible about raising these kids. 9 out of 10 times, it is the parents who hurt their own kids by not caring/disciplining enough, rather than the system. When I look back at my childhood and remember how much I was beaten/spanked/disciplined, I thank my parents every day that they did that to me because that's why I am who I am today. Give these kids a break and go after the parents!

Ok, I had to respond. First of all, one is 21 years old. Not a kid by any means: legal definition or otherwise. Yes, many, many 21 year olds are certainly not mature, seasoned adults but I'm sorry--you can't even think about going the "let's charge the parents" route on this guy.

The second "alleged" perp is 17--yup, maybe his parents went wrong with him somewhere but I think it's way beyond the scope of blaming the parents at this point. He's also wanted in connection with another murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post

That's why I used the term "alleged".

I think we should be locking these people up, throwing away the key and overhauling our justice system so that people with former records are NOT out walking the streets.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:59 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,936,702 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

I read about the arrest of the 2 kids (whom police called men?) who committed the Chapel Hill murder. I'm very sad about this since they are just kids. Where were the parents? Is it not their responsibility to raise good kids? How did they go the criminal route instead of staying in school and getting busy being teenagers? I'm sorry guys but I say charge the parents for being so irresponsible about raising these kids. 9 out of 10 times, it is the parents who hurt their own kids by not caring/disciplining enough, rather than the system. When I look back at my childhood and remember how much I was beaten/spanked/disciplined, I thank my parents every day that they did that to me because that's why I am who I am today. Give these kids a break and go after the parents!
I am going to give you an opportunity to change a few things you posted before jumping on some of your comments.....in particular:

Quote:
Give these kids a break and go after the parents!
Quote:
How did they go the criminal route instead of staying in school and getting busy being teenagers?
Because one of them is 21 (clearly an adult) and the other was in school (Jordan High school) and it seems you posted out of frustration. While I believe that parenting is key when it comes to the outcomes of children's futures, you do not have the full story. Could it be that the parents are deceased? What if the suspects have mental deficiencies and the parents are unable to afford care for them nor does the state help out? ***Just saw the younger is being charged with the other murder so I am editing that out*** No one knows. Reserve the judgment for after the facts come out
but to want to "give the kids a break"? You do know you can edit your statements right?

Last edited by tluv00; 03-13-2008 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: New information I did not see

Old 03-13-2008, 10:30 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,083 times
Ok, this is total speculation but does anyone else think that there is a strong resemblance between Lovette--the guy who turned himself in for Carson's murder, and the artists rendering of the man wanted for armed robbery on Tuesday at the NCSU campus?

N.C. State Shares Sketch of Robbery Suspect :: WRAL.com

Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Ok, this is total speculation but does anyone else think that there is a strong resemblance between Lovette--the guy who turned himself in for Carson's murder, and the artists rendering of the man wanted for armed robbery on Tuesday at the NCSU campus?

N.C. State Shares Sketch of Robbery Suspect :: WRAL.com
I don't see it...

Old 03-13-2008, 11:26 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Because one of them is 21 (clearly an adult) and the other was in school (Jordan High school)
I think the 17yo had dropped out of Jordan before the murders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary