Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:52 AM

703 posts, read 780,538 times

Advertisements

You can seemingly come across a Del Webb 55+ community in the south every 50 miles or so (kidding, of course). And their Sun City properties are their largest sites.

But I don't think anything compares to the Villages in Florida in terms of sheer size and population... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Villages,_Florida).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 07:06 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Older Gen X is turning 50 this year (wth, how did that happen) so eventually there will be a market...
And AARP is sending out their membership cards! I won't say how I know this, but all I know is that I am too young for it!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:32 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
Wonder how the demand for these is as the homes get older and older? I would think most seniors would want a newer property that is as close to maintenance free as possible. Combine that with a smaller audience for them, as boomers give way to gen Xers, and they seem a terrible investment.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:55 AM

As a Gen X'er, we will most likely be investing in one once one of our mothers need to be closer to us. That way we can be close enough to help, but not have an in-law under the same roof. I can see investors buying them up and updating them for rental income - almost like renting a space at a retirement community. There is big money in retirement living. My father in-law used to build and run retirement communities (apartment style), he was bought out by a big investor group and made more than I could have imagined. Seniors love the sense of community and really enjoy being around others in the same stage of life.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:05 AM

188 posts, read 151,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Wonder how the demand for these is as the homes get older and older? I would think most seniors would want a newer property that is as close to maintenance free as possible. Combine that with a smaller audience for them, as boomers give way to gen Xers, and they seem a terrible investment.
I don't see it that way. Seniors that are really trying to minimize total maintenance tasks to keep track of would likely go for a condo. All of them will be knowledgeable enough to realize that maintenance is a cost of any home, regardless of how you pay for it (either you pay a premium price for new construction with a longer initial expiration date for things like roof, hvac, or higher monthly dues to have some of these taken care of for you). A resell isn't necessarily a larger maintenance burden. The last three homes I purchased all had the big ticket items replaced within just a few years before my purchase and couldn't possibly be lower in maintenance than homes that are decades newer; that's just a matter of the buyer looking for a home that's been well maintained -- or, as alternative, simply paying a little lower price for a place that needs a new roof and hvac with a reno budget going in. It can all be done prior to moving in with a little planning. We are also seeing this trend of newer construction not exactly being maintenance free. And, once low maintenance and a single family house are identified as buying criteria, the one-story homes in most of these communities are about as low maintenance as one can get without going for a condo.

Also I think people want to compare peak totals of one generation to another, without keeping in mind it is all cyclical in nature, not to mention the fact that depending on how someone defines the birth year definition, someone could be considered a young boomer or an old GenXer, etc. There is not a hard cut off of people born in the last boomer birth year that separates them from buyers in the first GenX birth year, its a much smoother transition, more like an overlap effect.

People talk about boomers as if it is this giant tsunami of people with huge influence on the world, but the peak of the wave was about 15 years ago. So, the upcoming home buying peak of Gen-Xers will be greater than the down-wave position of boomer sellers. It ebbs and flows but so does the housing market in general for other factors.

Overall, 55+ would never be a reason for severe property value loss, because worst case scenario all they would have to do is modify a piece of paper that defines the age restriction and problem solved. Its not like building a home on some land then finding out the area is riddled with sink holes or whatever.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Older Gen X is turning 50 this year

D
Tell me about it

I am an "older Gen Xer" my siblings are all Baby Boomers. Everything else being equal (same town, same schools etc) my class in school closed 3 schools after we graduated due to declining enrollment, and my graduating high school class was HALF the size of my siblings. That is a BIG drop off in population and I have to think it was not contained to my (large) town on Long Island.

Current class size (many years later!) is 25% smaller than mine was, and again - the school districts up there do not change their boundaries and there is only one HS in the district.

Time will tell I guess.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Tell me about it

I am an "older Gen Xer" my siblings are all Baby Boomers. Everything else being equal (same town, same schools etc) my class in school closed 3 schools after we graduated due to declining enrollment, and my graduating high school class was HALF the size of my siblings. That is a BIG drop off in population and I have to think it was not contained to my (large) town on Long Island.

Current class size (many years later!) is 25% smaller than mine was, and again - the school districts up there do not change their boundaries and there is only one HS in the district.

Time will tell I guess.
I think class size depends on what part of the country you are looking at. There are many parts of the country that can not keep up with the demands as class sizes continue to grow. The NE has a large population that is moving out, while other parts of the country are growing at a fast rate.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:11 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I think class size depends on what part of the country you are looking at. There are many parts of the country that can not keep up with the demands as class sizes continue to grow. The NE has a large population that is moving out, while other parts of the country are growing at a fast rate.
I am not talking about comparing one part of the country to another - or even one town to another. That's why I started off saying EVERYTHING ELSE BEING EQUAL - my boomer sibling class sizes were TWICE the size of mine - there's no more apples to apples comparison than a school district whose boundaries never change and that only has one high school. They graduated almost 800 students each, I graduated 400. The current total population of the school is 1200 (I checked) so it's even smaller than when I graduated (about 300 hundred per class). I'm not sure how I can make what I'm saying any clearer.

Yes, I get that migration patterns change, that doesn't change the fact there are considerably less people in my age group than in people 2-25 years older than me.

All this said, those homes will always have an appeal, my parents were happy to build a house but could have just as easily ended up in Heritage Pines which is an established 55+ community, they wanted a small one story home and all the maintenance dealt with.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:37 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolector View Post

Should Age-Restricted Communities Be Exempt From Civil Rights ...
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/pdred...le_071213.html

Really, really good read. thanks for understanding the premise of my inquiry and posting an excellent, relevant exploration of this matter.

Good stuff.

there really seems to be a multi-pronged issue here, not only concerning civil rights but the market value as well, amenities offered as well as resources.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:40 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Really, really good read. thanks for understanding the premise of my inquiry and posting an excellent, relevant exploration of this matter.

Good stuff.

there really seems to be a multi-pronged issue here, not only concerning civil rights but the market value as well.
Really, there is no civil rights issue. Just compliance with civil rights requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary