Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 01:18 AM

8 posts, read 18,639 times

Advertisements

Hello-
We are looking to relocate to the clayton area from Ohio soon and wonder if anyone who has made this move had any problems with their children adjusting? We have a 9 yr old and a 7yr old.
DOes anyone have advice on a good relocatation expert to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:01 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times
Here is a thread from the Parenting Forum too.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,553 times
I'm in the process of doing this and I think that talking to the kids about their anxiety is the best thing you can do. My 15 year old son was extremely upset and after a few talks he has come around. It helped him to know that pretty much all the anxieties he has, his Mom and Dad also have. I worry about making new friends just the same as him. We have one advantage in that they are going to be attending a private Christian school and they are already enrolled and have already met their classmates for next year. You can't really do that with public schools, but anything you can do to help them know that things will be OK will help.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:07 AM

85 posts, read 451,738 times
We moved about a year ago with two sons the same age as yours. The 7 year really struggled at first because he was so bonded with his teachers and classmates that the idea of leaving them seemed impossible for him to accept. Once we were here and settled in school things got so much better. I think both boys took comfort in realizing that other kids around them had also recently moved to the area (we're in a new neighborhood in HS) so they didn't feel like the only "new kids". You will probably find the same situation in Clayton. My older son has thrived and by far has adjusted the best of the entire family! He has made so many new friends and I can really see such an improvement in his self confidence at school and with his new friends. It really is true, that given time things fall into place. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,553 times
That reminds me of one of the things my older son heard when he visited the school he will be attending. He got introduced to the class, and one of them said something to the effect of, "don't worry, we've all been the new kid and know how it feels". There are so many people moving in and out in the area, that there isn't as much of a stigma with being "new".

Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk3 View Post
Hello-
We are looking to relocate to the clayton area from Ohio soon and wonder if anyone who has made this move had any problems with their children adjusting? We have a 9 yr old and a 7yr old.
DOes anyone have advice on a good relocatation expert to use?
Our kids were 4 & 7 when we moved last summer. I expected it to be harder on my 7 year old. But in fact he adjusted the easiest of all of us. My 4 year who has since turned 5, asked on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis to move back to our old house in Portland. Finally at the 6 month mark she told me if we moved back to Portland her new friends would miss her like her old friends miss her now. It was the turning pointing, thankfully.

It is true that they will not be the only new kid in their class or on the block. And since the teachers handle this all the time they are pros at it.
In my child's class they put pins on maps from where everyone was from. It was a fun national and international geography lesson.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 15,275 times
We relocated from Massachusetts a year a half ago. My daughter was 7 and son 2. My son was fine. We made the move before school started so that when school started it was a new year for everyone. She still writes letters to friends and family but has definitely adjusted. A friend moved down at the end of the school year so that her son started school right before summer and was able to meet a few friends before summer began. That seemed to work as well.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 PM

8 posts, read 18,639 times
thank you so much! Hopefully our move will go as smooth as all of yours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary