Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:02 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseEars247 View Post
Ok, so the lack of proper pruning could be part of our problem? At the state it's in now, can it be pruned correctly at this point or is it a lost cause? (Told ya, I'm clueless about this.. lol)
You could cut that thing off at 2" from the ground, and it will come back.

What was stated above is good advice, IMO. Cut at about 4-6 feet, or whatever you like. It will look bare for about a season, but they are very robust.

Honestly, unless you dig up all (and I do mean ALL) of the roots, it's not going anywhere anyway, they are difficult to kill in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 06:43 AM

326 posts, read 384,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Aren't magnolias also kind of messy? Not the flowers but the leaves.

http://hort.ufl.edu/database/documen...ts/maggrae.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It helps if you never limb up from the bottom.
In a bed like the OP has, I would let it grow low. And, I think it would be "self-mulching" and appealing.
I might also put a few low shrubs near it in the bed, to offset the appearance of a stark column to some degree.

I had a little gem and didn't think it was too messy.
We took it out because the builder had planted it 3 feet from the foundation, and it was against the house and 15-20 feet tall.
Otherwise, I would never have removed it.
Again, I'll agree with Mike here. We had a little gem at our house in Winston and it wasn't messy. It will slowly drop some leaves, but they'll just land in the flower bed and decompose. It's easier to deal with than a deciduous tree that drops all of its leaves at once which then need to be raked up.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:48 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
Again, I'll agree with Mike here. We had a little gem at our house in Winston and it wasn't messy. It will slowly drop some leaves, but they'll just land in the flower bed and decompose. It's easier to deal with than a deciduous tree that drops all of its leaves at once which then need to be raked up.
Fair enough.. I don't have one, but I just recall seeing a lot of leaves around the larger ones. I'm personally not worried about tree litter, but since the OP finds a crepe myrtle too messy, I thought I'd mention it.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:02 AM

270 posts, read 379,514 times
I love our Little Gem. It blooms a few times a year and the flowers are huge and smell sooo good, a nice lemon-y scent. Unfortunately ice took out the top last year so right now it doesn't have the same nice shape, more of a bush, but I still love it.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:47 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,314 times
What about a Redbud? They can be pruned to desired shape/thickness.

'Hearts of Gold' when not in bloom:

Quote:
Hope it's not a Natchez! Beautiful trees, but they need a lot of space!
Love Natchez. My neighbor has one and the bark color in winter is beautiful.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
What about a Redbud? They can be pruned to desired shape/thickness.

'Hearts of Gold' when not in bloom:

Love Natchez. My neighbor has one and the bark color in winter is beautiful.
I love redbuds, but think of them more as part-shade, and in under-story.

May well be putting one at the side of my house. Under a couple of larger trees' canopies.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:08 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I love redbuds, but think of them more as part-shade, and in under-story.

May well be putting one at the side of my house. Under a couple of larger trees' canopies.
They're pretty adaptable, exposure-wise. We have a Forest Pansy by the driveway that has gorgeous purple leaves. We've never done anything to it but water, and then only when it was getting established.

HGIC 1021 Redbud : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM

91 posts, read 78,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseEars247 View Post
We have a crepe myrtle in the front yard of our new (to us) home. It is beautiful, but a god awful mess right now. There are blooms all over the place, and they stick to the sidewalk and driveway (and any cars that might be parked there), get tracked into the house, etc. I'd like to have this tree removed, and replaced with a lower maintenance (less shedding) tree. The pic below shows the tree (not in bloom in the photo).

We'd considered a dogwood, but are not especially knowledgeable with trees/plants, so thought I'd see if I could get some recommendations for what would work well in this space. Also, if you have a landscape company you like, I'd love those recs as well, as we have some other things we'd like to update in our yard. (And I will add--if its feasible, we'll relocate the crepe myrtle to a natural area in our backyard, where it can shed its blooms to its heart's content. )

Hi, try Japanese maple. It has reddish leaves. There are three or 4 different kinds you can buy from a nursery on at hwy 98.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:24 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1970 View Post
Hi, try Japanese maple. It has reddish leaves. There are three or 4 different kinds you can buy from a nursery on at hwy 98.
If you want a Japanese maple of any decent size, it might be cheaper to just buy the nursery.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:14 PM

119 posts, read 201,179 times
Quote:
Fair enough.. I don't have one, but I just recall seeing a lot of leaves around the larger ones. I'm personally not worried about tree litter, but since the OP finds a crepe myrtle too messy, I thought I'd mention it.
To be fair, all trees litter something or other. It just depends what you want to put up with.

A dwarf-variety magnolia would definitely work. A small juniper might also work decently. The litter is mostly small and drops straight down. I wouldn't suggest a Japanese maple for that spot--they're not typically very tall, they grow slowly anyway, and and in full sun in our climate they can suffer with burnt and curled leaves.

You might also consider something mightier--something for the long haul. You seem to have room for a nice-sized maple or oak (but not right next to the driveway). If it was more in the center of that bed, you could then put smaller evergreens on either side--say, tea olives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary