Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 01:14 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Wanted to let everyone know about a cool product that I found. It's an antenna like Mohu, but it doesn't connect to your TV directly. You can place it anywhere in your house (you can't put it in the attic unfortunately due to heat), and it then streams over wifi to your Android/IOS devices and streaming devices (roku, amazon, chromecast, etc). This works really well for me because there were parts of my house that got lousy antenna reception, and some that got great reception. Already had the Roku's, so it seemed like a no-brainer.

I've only had it for a day, but it really seems to work well. It has a cool graphical guide, and even comes with 8GB of space that you can record to. This is expandable with SD card.

It's a new product so inevitably there will be some bugs I'm guessing. But so far so good. Right now it's only 58 bucks on Amazon which seems like a steal.

Mohu is coming out with something similar soon - I'm guessing it will be at a much higher price tag.

https://www.amazon.com/WatchAir-Ante...words=watchair
Just wanted to follow up on this product. It's awesome. The antenna itself seems to work as well or better than my Mohu and rabbit ears. The streaming works really well, and the onscreen guide is nice to have.

There are a few bugs that need to be worked out (it's a work in progress) - for example if I reboot my wifi router, for some reason I need to reboot the WatchAir. Also it's a single tuner, so you can't watch multiple channels on multiple tv's. Not a big deal for us, but I can see it being a big deal for some. I assume they'll come out with a multi-tuner version.

My biggest issue, and this has nothing to do with WatchAir, is having separate apps for OTA (Watchair), and cable channels (Sling). It'd be cool if there was a single app with a guide, that would automaticalyl open the correct app and go to the appropriate channel. Or if they somehow integrated with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 09:06 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
interesting thread but this is the deep end of the pool for me because I have 4 TV's with multiple needs...have Spectrum but not sure if I went ala carte on the 4 tv's i'd save any $$ at all....

I'm sure most on here have multiple tv's like most households.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:09 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
interesting thread but this is the deep end of the pool for me because I have 4 TV's with multiple needs...have Spectrum but not sure if I went ala carte on the 4 tv's i'd save any $$ at all....

I'm sure most on here have multiple tv's like most households.
That's where most of hte cost savings is - you aren't paying for cable boxes, DVR's, etc. What you pay is what you pay - none of the $90/mo promotion that actually costs you $150 a month after cable boxes and taxes/fees.

Most modern TV's will support the bigger apps natively (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Sling, etc), if not go out and get a few roku's for 30-40 bucks each.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:38 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That's where most of hte cost savings is - you aren't paying for cable boxes, DVR's, etc. What you pay is what you pay - none of the $90/mo promotion that actually costs you $150 a month after cable boxes and taxes/fees.

Most modern TV's will support the bigger apps natively (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Sling, etc), if not go out and get a few roku's for 30-40 bucks each.
For many like myself this is extremely confusing on how to put together the best package considering my situation. When you say 'go out and get a few roku's for 30-40 bucks each', how do you know that is the best thing to do in my situation? Say I get Sling, will i have to pay sling prices per TV or is it per household?

I have a million questions and most likely I'll start doing my own research to help answer those questions so I know if its worth it for me to make the change and what packages are the best fit..

this is a very fragmented industry right now...

Old 01-02-2018, 06:46 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
I believe 2018 will be another big year for cord cutting as current services get expanded and new players come into the market. I believe/hope Amazon may even make a push for its own TV service.

CouponJack, Playstation Vue does offer 5 streams at a time, and you can get that app on Roku, Amazon Fire TV/Firestick, or Apple TV if you have any of those laying around...otherwise Roku & Firestick are the two cheapest options to purchase.

There's also the option of signing up for trials and free device offers of a couple of different of the current services and using them in different rooms to achieve the multi-screen experience you have with cable.

DirecTV Now offers a free Roku if you prepay for service.
https://www.directvnow.com/rokunow

Sling TV offers a free Firestick or Roku and a discounted AirPlay device if you prepay for a couple of months.

https://www.sling.com/devices/offers

It does seem like a lot. But someday soon, someone will come along with an all-in-one complete streaming experience.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:49 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
You can access Sling and others from multiple Roku/FireTV/AppleTV devices, as well as mobile devices like iPhones/iPads, all from a single account. Most of these services are going to have a limit to the number of concurrent streams you can have going. In practice that is probably not a big deal for most families as you wouldn't typically have all your TVs on and streaming from the same service, and with apps like Watch ESPN, FX Now, etc., you can usually work around limits.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:50 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I believe there is a market for a cord-cutting consultation, training, and setup service.

It seems there is enough money savings involved and enough consumer willingness to save that money, that someone could capitalize on offering such a service to get people set up and trained.
What seems easy to one person is often a task that others will pay for.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:48 AM

385 posts, read 348,873 times
There a couple companies that offer cable rate negotiation services. In the big picture I think cable cutting is a dead end. The providers are well aware of what consumers are trying to do. Being monopolies they can easily stop it. I have AT&T fiber available but if you get internet only they have data caps. Spectrum is a moving target and if you can get Google Fiber you will have to pay for more speed than 90% of us need. It's kind of a game but they currently have the political power to win.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:25 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I believe there is a market for a cord-cutting consultation, training, and setup service.

It seems there is enough money savings involved and enough consumer willingness to save that money, that someone could capitalize on offering such a service to get people set up and trained.
What seems easy to one person is often a task that others will pay for.
Haha I've thought the same thing - there definitely is a business for this for people in the older generations! Hmm, side job?

Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Haha I've thought the same thing - there definitely is a business for this for people in the older generations! Hmm, side job?
I think a fairly interesting side job, yup.

Just read this thread with all the various solutions tossed around.
Not everyone, of all ages, wants to play with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary