Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:03 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times

Advertisements

Without having to pay the fee, and preferably getting out deposit back? These people should have paid us a deposit I swear...

The complex is Hawthorne Midtown, directly on Six Forks Millbrook. The main problem is cockroaches. Dozens upon dozens of roaches. No matter how clean we keep the place...we see about 10 roaches every morning going downstairs. Every morning. Without fail. Even after the Terminix guy comes. There were 2 roaches sitting on top of the Terminix paper when we got home the other day...and on October 16th, we provided the office with written notice of an ongoing cockroach infestation, as well as docuumentation from an allergist that my girlfriend, also a leaseholder, is allergic to cockroaches. We have dozens of pictures and videos as proof (including a video of a live roach inside my girlfriend asthma breathing tube). We even saw 2 mice (inside) a few months ago.

That's the main reason I want to be able to break the lease. But I'm not knowledgeable at all in this regard. Documentation of allergy to roaches, no fix to the roach problem, etc.

Just cause I want to vent, this place is even worse than just that. In the summer, in Day ONE when we moved in, the AC went out and the temp inside got to 88*F. They came and fixed it, it lasted a week, come fix it again, last another week, etc. Now that it's winter, same thing. Heat is out. It got to 56 in the apt last night. I called the office about thay 2 days ago and they haven't come in yet. It's currently 64 in here and dropping.

The dryer takes 5 times to dry a load. The dishwasher rarely drains. The screen doors are stuck. The new front door and lock are nearly impossible to lock from the outside. Someone OD'd and died in our building 2 weeks ago. 2 years ago someone was beat to death in the unit next to us. My car was towed for parking in a visitor spot (while someone was parked in my spot, but they didn't get towed). The complex replaces all the dirt and mulch with rocks, and when people car and apartment windows started getting busted with those rocks, we got an email saying they aren't responsible for damages. The list goes on. This place is ridiculous. Do not rent with Hawthorne, ever.

I understand if we can't break the lease or if that's a stupid question, just curious and frustrated.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 11-21-2017 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 07:20 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Work the Roach Angle.

Unified Development Ordinance, 4th supplement, September 2017

Actually, if you want to break the lease, I would first just make a formal request for lease termination.
Give them that chance to do the right thing.

"Really? You can't? Who should I have the Code Enforcement folks talk to about the code violation? You?"

Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Work the Roach Angle.

Unified Development Ordinance, 4th supplement, September 2017

Actually, if you want to break the lease, I would first just make a formal request for lease termination.
Give them that chance to do the right thing.

"Really? You can't? Who should I have the Code Enforcement folks talk to about the code violation? You?"
That's definitely the plan. We gave the office a copy of the paper that documents my girlfriend's roach allergy, to which they responded "well I don't know why we would need this but okay". That link is not opening well in my phone right now, but I can try again on my computer tomorrow. I could give them one more chance to do the right thing. Those code folks...how do I contact them? The irony would be if you said NC Department of Health and Human Services...

Old 11-21-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
That's definitely the plan. We gave the office a copy of the paper that documents my girlfriend's roach allergy, to which they responded "well I don't know why we would need this but okay". That link is not opening well in my phone right now, but I can try again on my computer tomorrow. I could give them one more chance to do the right thing. Those code folks...how do I contact them? The irony would be if you said NC Department of Health and Human Services...
I would probably start here:
https://www.raleighnc.gov/home/conte...forcement.html

"Contact the Code Enforcement Division by completing a Code Enforcement Request Form or by calling 919-996-2444 to report any suspected code violation. With your help, we can ensure that the City of Raleigh continues to be a safe, more attractive place to live, work and play."

Yeah, the UDO probably won't render nicely on a phone...
But, basically, it tells you that the vermin are the landlord's problem.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:55 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Get the plug in bug irritant and watch them scatter. Have your neighbors buy them too.

We buy Vermin-X.

Last edited by NCN; 11-21-2017 at 08:06 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Document with dates and photos as well.

I broke a lease once from a large complex and spoke with their corp lawyer. Believe it or not they are used to dealing with people who are mostly incoherent and belligerent. Go in confident and respectful and you will probably get what you want.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:55 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Do not rent with Hawthorne, ever.
I’m sorry you’ve had such a horrible experience. I just have to say that this has to be specific to Hawthorne Midtown, because Hawthorne at the Parkway (Cary) is outstanding. Apparently not all Hawthornes are run equally well.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:35 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Just throwing this out there as an option. If you can't get out of the lease, perhaps see if they will let you move apartments far away from the one you are at. The building/area you are in might be infested, but other buildings may be fine. In college, we had the same roach problem one year - it is so gross! The following year I stayed in the same complex but moved to another building, and it was perfectly fine. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Document with dates and photos as well.

I broke a lease once from a large complex and spoke with their corp lawyer. Believe it or not they are used to dealing with people who are mostly incoherent and belligerent. Go in confident and respectful and you will probably get what you want.
"...confident and respectful..."

Yes!

Old 11-22-2017, 06:01 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Collect evidence as others have mentioned. If you have to get an attorney involved I believe legal aid will help if your income falls in a certain range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary