Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:59 PM

238 posts, read 238,826 times

Advertisements

I can confirm that cancelling existing service and ordering it online under another household member's name is sufficient to get promo pricing again for one year. We ended up using a different first name, email, and phone number.

Gigabit service is not worth the extra cost to be honest, but we have enough people splitting the bill to justify the cost. I am using their supplied Technicolor TC-4400 modem with a four year old Linksys AC router. Wired speeds average 700-950 Mbps while wireless AC speeds range from 100-500 Mbps. Latency seems to be improved slightly. over my previous 200/20 service.

At this point we're just waiting for AT&T to bring fiber to our neighborhood. Once the $105/mo promo price expires, we'll probably drop down to 400 Mbps for $70/mo using the same trick for promo pricing, assuming fiber isn't in an option at the time.

Last edited by inner_outer_440; 02-13-2018 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Fixed link to speed picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 05:20 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'm S.O.L. as there's no other game in town besides Spectrum & AT&T and they know it.

Earthlink is Spectrum, well same service, using same connections. Earthlink has a 75mbps speed for a 12 month promo rate of $40/mo but they require an installation that costs $70 and their terms say you can't use your own router for wifi, have to use theirs for an additional cost of $6.95/month.

I don't know where people are coming up with this fantasy that Spectrum will make a deal for existing Internet-only customers. I've talked to them once before and they refused then too (after the TWC take over). They have customers over a barrel and they know it. Google Fiber is never going to roll out in my 'hood and I wouldn't pay their prices anyway.
I had no luck negotiating with Spectrum either. I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of changing providers, so I went with 200MBps service for $64.99. That may actually be a promo price, because the back of my most recent bill says that $59.99 for 100MBps service as a new customer special. Now that I think about it, I they quoted me $69.99/month originally but then knocked $5/off because I have my own modem. So much for 'free modems' from Spectrum! If they try to raise my rates again, I'll most likely just move over to AT&T.

Interestingly enough, I just got a TV offer in the mail from Spectrum. It's streaming only and gives you the local stations, plus 10 channels of your choice for $21.99 a month. Everything from ESPN to the Food Network to FX is on the list of choices. You can also get HBO, Showtime, The Movie Channel and Starz for $15/month for 2 years (but that's on top of the $21.99). While I'm no fan of Spectrum, this isn't a terrible way to subscribe to TV. Right now I'm getting all the screen time I need from Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I won't be signing up however.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:35 PM

18,109 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I had no luck negotiating with Spectrum either. I didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of changing providers, so I went with 200MBps service for $64.99. That may actually be a promo price, because the back of my most recent bill says that $59.99 for 100MBps service as a new customer special. Now that I think about it, I they quoted me $69.99/month originally but then knocked $5/off because I have my own modem. So much for 'free modems' from Spectrum! If they try to raise my rates again, I'll most likely just move over to AT&T.

Interestingly enough, I just got a TV offer in the mail from Spectrum. It's streaming only and gives you the local stations, plus 10 channels of your choice for $21.99 a month. Everything from ESPN to the Food Network to FX is on the list of choices. You can also get HBO, Showtime, The Movie Channel and Starz for $15/month for 2 years (but that's on top of the $21.99). While I'm no fan of Spectrum, this isn't a terrible way to subscribe to TV. Right now I'm getting all the screen time I need from Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I won't be signing up however.
I cut the cable TV cord several years ago and get OTA channels. Any other content I want I get online, so I'll never be a bundled service customer. I just need Internet...simple broadband Internet. It doesn't have to be the fastest, 50mpbs meets my needs easily, but the prices really pizz me off.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I can confirm that cancelling existing service and ordering it online under another household member's name is sufficient to get promo pricing again for one year. We ended up using a different first name, email, and phone number.
How long did you wait between canceling service and then re-signing up under someone else's name?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
How long did you wait between canceling service and then re-signing up under someone else's name?
Called in on a Monday, scheduled cancellation for Tuesday, then (still on Monday) ordered online with an installation date of Wednesday morning.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:51 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,015 times
All the Spectrum rats want to do is sell you more goodies to justify their raised prices. If you want moderate service levels at decent prices, dump them as I did.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
Called in on a Monday, scheduled cancellation for Tuesday, then (still on Monday) ordered online with an installation date of Wednesday morning.
Good info, thanks! I'm the only human in my household. I wonder if my cat could sign up? She has a human name, a separate email address, and her own phone number (what!?! she's talkative!). I'd be paying her bill for her, that would be the only wrinkle.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:00 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Good info, thanks! I'm the only human in my household. I wonder if my cat could sign up? She has a human name, a separate email address, and her own phone number (what!?! she's talkative!). I'd be paying her bill for her, that would be the only wrinkle.
They may require a SSN. Ask if you can give a deposit with a CC instead. I use my credit card companies "shop safe" card generator to "create" new limited use cards all the time, and can use my dogs name (or any) when paying online at most venues (I do this to use first time sign up coupons again). Some will match the name. Depends on how much this is worth to you. You can buy a prepaid CC and register it online to any name/address you want.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
They may require a SSN. Ask if you can give a deposit with a CC instead. I use my credit card companies "shop safe" card generator to "create" new limited use cards all the time, and can use my dogs name (or any) when paying online at most venues (I do this to use first time sign up coupons again). Some will match the name. Depends on how much this is worth to you. You can buy a prepaid CC and register it online to any name/address you want.

SSN not required if you open the account online. They don't even ask for payment right away... they send a bill in the mail that is due approximately two weeks after the install date.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:01 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
SSN not required if you open the account online. They don't even ask for payment right away... they send a bill in the mail that is due approximately two weeks after the install date.
There you go the dog just became a spectrum customer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary