Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:20 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
An HD stream on Roku takes about 3Mbps just for reference. If you're constantly getting bogged down then it's likely some other issue, likely with your wifi.

100Mb is way more than enough for the average household.
Yep

Somehow we get by on our 50mb service!

I remember when we first moved here, I had 768k "high speed", it was annoying because YouTube would stutter. When we upgraded to 5mb pretty much all stuttering stopped; anything over that has just been an increase in $ without increasing value.

When TWC doubled our speed from 25 to 50 I didn't even notice. Thankfully the rate stayed the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 07:49 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,538 times
Quote:
An HD stream on Roku takes about 3Mbps just for reference. If you're constantly getting bogged down then it's likely some other issue, likely with your wifi.

100Mb is way more than enough for the average household.

Our wireless router cannot be centrally located (unfortunately) so signal degradation is part of the issue. My typical speeds close to it are in the 40mbps range. In the far reaches of the house that can slow to 10mbps. We get some buffering w/directtvnow when we have all of the devices connected. Maybe it is an issue with our router.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:49 AM

75 posts, read 253,416 times
Ohhh nice. As a 300Mbps subscriber, the free upgrade to 400Mbps is going to be nice.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:51 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,268,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Our wireless router cannot be centrally located (unfortunately) so signal degradation is part of the issue. My typical speeds close to it are in the 40mbps range. In the far reaches of the house that can slow to 10mbps. We get some buffering w/directtvnow when we have all of the devices connected. Maybe it is an issue with our router.
Yeah a bandwidth upgrade isn't going to help you. If you're using the Spectrum-provided router, don't. Buy a good wireless router and put your Spectrum modem/router into bridge mode.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:59 AM

18,050 posts, read 15,649,855 times
If you have spotty wifi coverage in your house you probably need to get a couple repeaters to get the signal to go throughout or upgrade the wifi router to a more powerful one. It's more $$ outlay, but it's worth it to get the best connectivity you can since you're already paying for high speed cable.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah a bandwidth upgrade isn't going to help you. If you're using the Spectrum-provided router, don't. Buy a good wireless router and put your Spectrum modem/router into bridge mode.

I honestly planned on doing both at the same time. Upgrade in speed + a shiny new router. (and I do have my own modem).

Any recommendations on router? I currently have a TP-Link AC1750

Old 12-20-2017, 08:13 AM

812 posts, read 831,773 times
I think we are going to go with Google Fiber. They just laid the fiber in our neighborhood last week and I was very impressed with the operation. They gave us ample notification before "digging" (info hangar on our door knob) and their micro-trenching method was awesome, quick, and painless. They only dug up a tiny patch of grass and replaced that with dark rich pre-seeded top soil. The other companies had an army of guys show up one day and started tearing the (you know what) out of our yard. They threw the old soil overtop and called it good. This happened 2-3 separate times as they all "came through".

Based on this experience alone, even if internet prices and services are comparable, which I'm expecting them to be, we give the nod to Google. Their reward for finding a "better way to skin a cat".

We currently have at&t.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I honestly planned on doing both at the same time. Upgrade in speed + a shiny new router. (and I do have my own modem).

Any recommendations on router? I currently have a TP-Link AC1750
I have the Netgear R6400 which I believe is actually the same router as yours.

On wifi, sit near your router, go to fast.com and see the result.

Then grab a cat6 cable, plug directly into your wifi router, go to fast.com and get the result.

Then plug directly into your modem, go to fast.com and get the result.

If you're only getting 40Mbs near your wifi router, then there's either a service issue (unlikely), or a wifi issue. The above will narrow down where the issue is.

Edit: On a separate note, I just did a speed test and got 200Mb - I only pay for 100. So it's possible Spectrum already made this change?

Old 12-20-2017, 08:26 AM

Yep- I just did a chat with them and they auto upgraded 100 to 200. My computer that typically got 10mbps just clocked in at 50. Pretty sweet.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Yep- I just did a chat with them and they auto upgraded 100 to 200. My computer that typically got 10mbps just clocked in at 50. Pretty sweet.
That doesn't make any sense - the speed upgrade doesn't have anything to do with that computer all of a sudden getting 50Mb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary