Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:35 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That doesn't make any sense - the speed upgrade doesn't have anything to do with that computer all of a sudden getting 50Mb.
Don't know what else to say. Only other change I've made recently is switching the channel width to auto. I've been struggling with up and down speeds for the past 9 months. Have dealt with techs incessantly and now know more about routers than I ever wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 08:52 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
I don't really think those prices are that bad. I'll probably upgrade to the 400 package soon. I have the 100mbps package right now on the $49 a month promo which is great. I have two roommates who have multiple devices just like me and we rarely have internet issues.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:54 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I don't really think those prices are that bad. I'll probably upgrade to the 400 package soon. I have the 100mbps package right now on the $49 a month promo which is great. I have two roommates who have multiple devices just like me and we rarely have internet issues.
So why would you upgrade? 200Mbps is waaaay more than you need. Not trying to be a jerk, just save your money.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:18 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
I think we are going to go with Google Fiber. They just laid the fiber in our neighborhood last week and I was very impressed with the operation. They gave us ample notification before "digging" (info hangar on our door knob) and their micro-trenching method was awesome, quick, and painless. They only dug up a tiny patch of grass and replaced that with dark rich pre-seeded top soil. The other companies had an army of guys show up one day and started tearing the (you know what) out of our yard. They threw the old soil overtop and called it good. This happened 2-3 separate times as they all "came through".

Based on this experience alone, even if internet prices and services are comparable, which I'm expecting them to be, we give the nod to Google. Their reward for finding a "better way to skin a cat".

We currently have at&t.
Sounds like the microtrenching is much better. Be careful with that soil they put down. It is likely a winter rye or some other annual grass and will grow about a foot a week. Personally, I’d dig it up and put down some new soil and seed of whatever was in my lawn now.

When they did our house way back, not only was it growling like insanity, a good amount came back again the second season! Didn’t make the third at least.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:57 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I'm on the 50/5 plan and just ran a test and got 62/6.

For those using wireless switch to the 5.8ghz channel. Add repeaters if needed. It's considerably faster.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:40 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,155 times
Relocated from Raleigh to Lake Gaston over the summer. I left 100-10 Spectrum in Raleigh and the best I could get moving here (CenturyLink) was 10-1 DSL (and the 1 is about .6). I envisioned all kinds of problems .... no more streaming videos (Netflix/Amazon Prim, etc) ... terrible response times and intermittent service.
Didn't happen ..... 10-1 is more than enough for the average user I have learned. My service cost $45 !!! that's it .... bottom line $ 45 ...... Taxes/Fees/etc ....... no 30-50% increases once the 'contract' expires.

I realize there are legitimate needs for the extra/excess speeds (I spent 40 years in telecommunications), but the average homeowner is cooking a 20lb turkey for lunch for 2 when spending extra for more bandwidth.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:42 AM

653 posts, read 2,705,661 times
I'm still getting 100 Mbps. I think the last time they did a "free" upgrade it was several days before I saw a change.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:56 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
I'm now getting 230. What a waste. I would gladly give up 200 of that for $20/month internet.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:50 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
Pricing is obscene but hey, it's the fastest option available for those not lucky enough to be blessed with Google Fiber or AT&T Gigapower. These changes are supposedly going to start taking effect after midnight.

200/10: $64.99 (promo 44.99)
400/20: $89.99 (promo 69.99
940/35: $124.99 (promo 104.99)

Source: https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/...xt-Week-140899

Picture: https://ibb.co/fvJXfR
Don't forget Ting in Holly Springs!

Lots of opinions on the thread about what the "average" person needs, but you are the best one to make the decision.

In my house, just about everything is connected to the internet, and we stream TV (and games when my son is home from college). Could I "get by" on a slower connection, maybe.

I was on Spectrum's 300 plan previously and still had issues. I stream DirecTV Now and the screen would go fuzzy regularly. Since upgrading to Ting, I've never had a problem. I am able to work from home while watching TV and no lag on either. My home connection is just as fast as if I'm sitting at my desk at work.

Let's face it we, as a whole, are moving more and more to the IoT, so you can take the advice of strangers on a message board about what you "need" or you can realize that for the same price as Spectrum's 400/20 you could have 1000/1000 if fiber is available in your neighborhood.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:03 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Don't forget Ting in Holly Springs!

Lots of opinions on the thread about what the "average" person needs, but you are the best one to make the decision.

In my house, just about everything is connected to the internet, and we stream TV (and games when my son is home from college). Could I "get by" on a slower connection, maybe.

I was on Spectrum's 300 plan previously and still had issues. I stream DirecTV Now and the screen would go fuzzy regularly. Since upgrading to Ting, I've never had a problem. I am able to work from home while watching TV and no lag on either. My home connection is just as fast as if I'm sitting at my desk at work.

Let's face it we, as a whole, are moving more and more to the IoT, so you can take the advice of strangers on a message board about what you "need" or you can realize that for the same price as Spectrum's 400/20 you could have 1000/1000 if fiber is available in your neighborhood.
The only time you could possibly need anything over 100Mb is if you're frequently downloading really big files (many many gigs) and you prefer them to download faster.

If you're on a 300Mb plan and it's going fuzzy, there's an issue somewhere else. It could be something in your house (your responsibility), it could be something outside of the house (provider's responsibility). Again I'm not trying to act like a know-it-all, but I hate to see people dumping money to these cable companies for more bandwidth when there's absolutely no need for it. You're better off investing the money in a better wifi setup, or cat6 runs.

Here's a decent summary of services and the amount of bandwidth they use:

https://www.ottcommunications.com/ho...i-really-need/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary