Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 03:17 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Wellllll…..
I have to dig a little, but here is the older article where I first saw it:
"Research Triangle Park straddles Wake and Durham counties. Apple's focus is on sites on the Wake County side, according to a different source with direct knowledge of the search. The largest parcels of undeveloped land in RTP are in Wake County.
The Research Triangle Foundation, the nonprofit entity that manages Research Triangle Park, declined to comment on the prospects of Apple moving into the park.
The foundation has five undeveloped parcels of land on the Wake County side that are available, clustered near the area where Davis Drive crosses I-540, according to RTF's website."

Apple search looks at RTP, incentives will play role | News & Observer

I saw a more recent article within the last week that revisited that as more than unfounded rumor.
Plus, mentioned it to folks who are tapped into a different rumor chain than I am on Friday and they nodded knowlingly.

And, Fidelity has 129 acres adjacent to that area that likely cold be pried away.

All rumor or speculation, but fun stuff, FWIW.
I’m pretty sure any of the deals for land in RTP gives the foundation pretty significant buyback rights if the land is not used so I’m sure they can get it back without much issue if it came to that. I’m pretty sure Fidelity has locked in on the old Nortel site and they have room to grow there so there’s a deal there to be made if that’s part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 09:12 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Not once did I say I am an "authority" on these subjects. I'm simply giving a perspective... quite frankly a more cynical and pessimistic one, yes, but a perspective not unlike your perspective or anyone else's, for that matter.

And no, you're wrong. Stop assuming things about people. I've lived in many of these places, so don't assume that I haven't. Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and cities across the U.S. such as Kansas City, San Jose, and now Pittsburgh. If you're able to read, I clearly mentioned I'm doing an internship and living on my own... that includes paying for housing, food, transportation, etc. with my internship salary...
so let's understand perspective. You're 19. I do apologize for assuming a 19 year old NC native attending UNC (I assume, since you said "come see me in Chapel Hill" [not Pittsburgh] to someone), who spoke with authority on Charlotte (not named above), had not lived in cities all across the land.

Yours is a summer internship, or runs through December, or what? You're a rising sophomore, rising junior?

Tell us about your parent(s) employment that led your family across the country. the field they're in. How they taught you so much about economics, tax policy, and sociological factors.

As noted, everyone has a perspective, from the time they're mature enough to think and speak. There are plenty of 19 year olds smarter than me. Some of them probably know economics better than I do.

I'm just trying to understand your perspective.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:33 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so let's understand perspective. You're 19. I do apologize for assuming a 19 year old NC native attending UNC (I assume, since you said "come see me in Chapel Hill" [not Pittsburgh] to someone), who spoke with authority on Charlotte (not named above), had not lived in cities all across the land.

Yours is a summer internship, or runs through December, or what? You're a rising sophomore, rising junior?

Tell us about your parent(s) employment that led your family across the country. the field they're in. How they taught you so much about economics, tax policy, and sociological factors.

As noted, everyone has a perspective, from the time they're mature enough to think and speak. There are plenty of 19 year olds smarter than me. Some of them probably know economics better than I do.

I'm just trying to understand your perspective.
Give it up bud. It's not even worth it.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmandal View Post
He is 19. When I was 19, I was a computer science major and my understanding of economics was retarded. As a PhD in Economics now, I can assert that you are wasting your time on this genius. Leave such fools alone, they will just drag you down to their own stupidity.
Well stated. I couldn't agree more.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:51 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmandal View Post
He is 19. When I was 19, I was a computer science major and my understanding of economics was retarded. As a PhD in Economics now, I can assert that you are wasting your time on this genius. Leave such fools alone, they will just drag you down to their own stupidity.
I am willing to hear out someone's learned opinion. CapitalBlvd? We know everything about him that we need to see where his perspective comes from.

By the way, here was an eerily similar post on a housing topic - this was NOT from THT though:

"Who can afford to buy $400,000 houses?"

Quote:
Wow most people will never even be able to afford to fantasize a six figure income. It is an evil travesty when people making the median income for an area can barely even rent let alone buy. More than half of people will never even see a 60k salary in their life
You gotta be a one percenter or already bought in before it went up and sold high and bought a new house with a wad of cash. The direction we are heading is a nation of majority homeless.
this is just staggering ignorance, and very sad pessimism ... and THT admits offering a pessimistic perspective.

We don't even have to overcome facts - you can't overcome perception with facts anyway until you've been able to help them with the false perception.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:08 PM

171 posts, read 143,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The question is over-simplified. Scale and location impact the impact, of course.

Apple, with proposed 5000 employees will be suburban, centrally located in the Triangle so various municipalities will share the impact.

Amazon with proposed 50,000 employees prefers to be urban and that would create a mammoth impact that would be felt mostly by one city.
If the average Apple employee has to drive 30 miles to get to/from work every day and the average Amazon employee has to drive 8 miles, ride a BRT or a bike, does that change the calculus?
I think the mammoth impact Amazon would have is mostly positive. Not as positive for Durham and Chapel Hill as Raleigh, but overall positive.

Apple has said up to 10K employees, which is definately more easily absorbed into the suburban landscape than 50K into an urban landscape. Urban re-development is expensive. I just prefer urban development over more suburban sprawl. Is it really better to turn Pittsboro into a subdivision than add more density to Raleigh?

Old 06-17-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I am willing to hear out someone's learned opinion. CapitalBlvd? We know everything about him that we need to see where his perspective comes from.

By the way, here was an eerily similar post on a housing topic - this was NOT from THT though:

"Who can afford to buy $400,000 houses?"

this is just staggering ignorance, and very sad pessimism ... and THT admits offering a pessimistic perspective.

We don't even have to overcome facts - you can't overcome perception with facts anyway until you've been able to help them with the false perception.
I hate to tell you my friend, but you will NEVER make people like this see your point of view. They operate primarily based on emotion, which controls their sense of ethics. You will never be able to have a completely rational, intelligent discussion on topics that they feel so passionately about.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 PM

360 posts, read 400,219 times
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/video...tim-cook-video

Old 06-18-2018, 01:47 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OberlinSouth View Post
If the average Apple employee has to drive 30 miles to get to/from work every day and the average Amazon employee has to drive 8 miles, ride a BRT or a bike, does that change the calculus?
I think the mammoth impact Amazon would have is mostly positive. Not as positive for Durham and Chapel Hill as Raleigh, but overall positive.

Apple has said up to 10K employees, which is definately more easily absorbed into the suburban landscape than 50K into an urban landscape. Urban re-development is expensive. I just prefer urban development over more suburban sprawl. Is it really better to turn Pittsboro into a subdivision than add more density to Raleigh?
I just don't see a place in the Triangle for Amazon. It isn't a spawl vs. urban development question to me.
It is more about a supremely unethical mega-corp of absolutely world-class dimension and providing them leverage over local autonomy.
50,000 employees working for Bezos turning our State Capitol into a company town is extremely unappealing.
And, the Amazon ethic would be to use that leverage endlessly.

"Saint Peter, don't call me, 'cause I can't go. I owe my soul to the company store...."

Old 06-18-2018, 03:39 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
And regardless of how Urban Amazon’s campus is, or where, and in what city it is located, people will drive or otherwise commute to it from all over that city’s metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary