Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 03:50 PM

4,263 posts, read 4,714,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3589 View Post
The amount of abandoned/vacant/torn down buildings in RTP these days is concerning imo. It certainly feels like companies are choosing to invest/expand elsewhere.
Some of it's plain bad luck. RTP can't be blamed for the demise of Nortel, which briefly was the 10th most valuable company in the world at the height of the Internet bubble. If Burroughs Wellcome had found a partner other than across-the-highway Glaxo, there might not have been so much blood-letting in RTP pharma. If IBM had not hit on hard times, they might have a larger payroll in RTP.

Those are big bullets to dodge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 06:02 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Hopefully the new generation of tech in RDU will locate in Dense center cities of the region instead of Suburban low density environments.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:10 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Hopefully the new generation of tech in RDU will locate in Dense center cities of the region instead of Suburban low density environments.
Not everyone working for tech companies is under 30 and wants to work and commute to DT Raleigh or DT Durham.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:05 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Not everyone working for tech companies is under 30 and wants to work and commute to DT Raleigh or DT Durham.
I don't know why you think age has anything to really do with it. I'm over 30 and would rather work in a downtown area where there are things to do on my lunch break or after work than a boring office park.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I don't know why you think age has anything to really do with it. I'm over 30 and would rather work in a downtown area where there are things to do on my lunch break or after work than a boring office park.
I'm over 30 and have a family so schools are a big factor in where I live. I would prefer to spend time with my family rather than sit in a car commuting to a city core. Suburban life works for us, so we have no desire to live in an urban area.

To each their own, but some people act like it's only young hipster 20 somethings in the tech force these days and that's who should be catered to.

Last edited by m378; 01-01-2019 at 07:29 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 07:35 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
I'm over 30 and have a family so schools are a big factor in where I live. I would prefer to spend time with my family rather than sit in a car commuting to a city core. Suburban life works for us, so we have no desire to live in an urban area.

To each their own, but some people act like it's only young hipster 20 somethings in the tech force these days and that's who should be catered to.
ageism is incredibly real in IT

but also companies are more postured to shed old workforce than retrain

Old 01-02-2019, 04:59 AM

812 posts, read 832,182 times
Quote:

The idea though is that you/me/us/they (employees) will live in or very near (inner burb) the city instead of out in the far-flung burbs so then there actually should be less commuting and more time with the kids. If more educated professionals with children did this, instead of fleeing to the outer burbs, then the school thing would fix itself. Of course, this would involve a major paradigm shift for many away from chasing "more for the money". It is not ideal to raise a family of 4 or 5 in a 500 sqft apt; but, do people really need 3-4K sqft.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
The idea though is that you/me/us/they (employees) will live in or very near (inner burb) the city instead of out in the far-flung burbs so then there actually should be less commuting and more time with the kids. If more educated professionals with children did this, instead of fleeing to the outer burbs, then the school thing would fix itself. Of course, this would involve a major paradigm shift for many away from chasing "more for the money". It is not ideal to raise a family of 4 or 5 in a 500 sqft apt; but, do people really need 3-4K sqft.
Go to a northern city where it costs upwards of 1M dollars for that 500sf apartment - let me know how that works out for you.

Clearly that doesn't work.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:44 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
ITB is expensive even accounting for smaller homes. Some people like making that choice, but I think the majority of those moving here came with suburbs in mind.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:01 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,716 times
Quote:
Go to a northern city where it costs upwards of 1M dollars for that 500sf apartment - let me know how that works out for you.

Clearly that doesn't work.
Exactly!

Executive and Sr. level directors may be able to afford those 1M closets but the "professionals" mentioned will have to flee to the suburban areas which are still beyond affordable and even with mass transit, will take hours out of their day between home and work.. Let's not forget the poor souls that work in the very restaurants you wish to walk to who cannot afford to live or even commute in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary