Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 06:33 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times

Advertisements

Thinking again about pulling the trigger on YouTubeTV. It's a fairly low-risk, and I can cancel if I don't like.

I already used my free trial, and did not subscribe at the time, because at the time (a year ago???) most of the local network channels were not live, they were on demand only. The main reason I want it is for the local channels, as my OTA works 98% of the time, but the 2% it doesn't work seems to always be right in the middle of the punch line on my sit-com, or the conclusion of the story on the evening news, or the answer I was not sure about on Jeopardy. (It never blanks out during a commercial for Depends, or some other stuff I don't want to see. LOL)

Anyway--

My Question: Are you now getting full local channels, live as if OTA?

And what other pros/cons do you experience or want to share.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 07:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
Why pay for local channels when you simply do not need to. There is no reason to have any interruption in ota reception. You are getting interruptions because you have poor reception. With a little labor and $30 you can have an antenna mounted in your attic and get 30+ ota channels. Just sayin'.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,219,684 times
I know it's not an answer to your question, but why are you specifically looking at YouTubeTV? Just a preference? I poked around the website and I didn't see specifically which live channels are available here.

I have DirecTV Now and we get WTVD and WRAL live stream. Since I have an AT&T cell phone I get a $25 discount per month so it's 80 channels at $25 per month.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:22 AM

678 posts, read 738,805 times
I have a Mohu Leaf TV Antenna, and I'm able to get all the local broadcast channels

Old 01-31-2018, 07:25 AM

725 posts, read 1,501,340 times
I've gone through Sling, YouTubeTV and Dishnow. I like the price of Sling but YouTube TV with the "DVR" was my favorite. I had lots of interruptions with Dishnow that didn't happen with Sling or YouTubeTV (and don't happen with my Prime or Netflix accounts so not a bandwidth issue on my end).

According to this FAQ if looks like only NFL Fox games are not available in Raleigh through the app -

https://support.google.com/youtubetv..._topic=7071745

Have they added a Roku app yet?

Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Why pay for local channels when you simply do not need to. There is no reason to have any interruption in ota reception. You are getting interruptions because you have poor reception. With a little labor and $30 you can have an antenna mounted in your attic and get 30+ ota channels. Just sayin'.
We used a Mohu Leaf for a long time. I was mostly satisfied (see my 98% comment in OP). I spoke to an engineer at Mohu, and he looked at my location on a topo map, and told me it would never be perfect because there is a ridge between me and most towers. He was very helpful, and gracious with his time.

Months (or years?) later I was still frustrated, so I researched and got a very well-rated antenna, installed in my attic, and ran coax directly to the back of the TV. Still have the same problems, which are typically worse when there is any cloud cover or rain. Turns out the Mohu guy was correct.

If you look at my posting history on the subject, I typically share your sentiment, but in this case there apparently IS a reason I have interruption in OTA service.

Just exploring my options.

Oh, and UPDATE: Looks like Fox is still "on demand", but ABC, NBC and CBS are live. Would still like to hear confirmation from a real subscriber. My updated info was per the YouTubeTV FAQ.

As for Dish:
1. Really don't want to get into any contracts. (We have ATT for Internet, so "hmmmm")
2. Ton of tall trees in my yard, and still, no matter what, Satellite is iffy during weather. Not sure it gets me any gains.

End of day, I'm just weighing options. I like the YouTube option because the truth is I'm not an avid TV watcher, so if I find myself using it, great. If not, I can get out easily.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
^Yeah, I understand. Doesn't matter how much you spend or how well engineered the antenna is you can defeat the basics. You have to have line of sight to the tower and that requires antenna height.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:40 AM

644 posts, read 842,889 times
OP
Could you please share if you mean you cannot watch live TV on Fox? I ask because I am looking to eventually move into a streaming TV option that allows me to watch NFL and College sports (so will need local channels live and ESPN) and I would like to do that whilst I travel as well. This is something I am looking forward to with YouTube TV, the endless possibilities of DVR, almost unlimited storage,

Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 AM

644 posts, read 842,889 times
OP
Could you please share if you mean you cannot watch live TV on Fox? I ask because I am looking to eventually move into a streaming TV option that allows me to watch NFL and College sports (so will need local channels live and ESPN) and I would like to do that whilst I travel as well. This is something I am looking forward to with YouTube TV, the endless possibilities of DVR, almost unlimited storage,

Old 01-31-2018, 08:00 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,554,270 times
MyGhost,

I am subscribed to Youtube TV. I can confirm that all local channels but Fox are live. I have a standard antenna and have little issue with reception where I live so I don't really use it for local stuff. I do love the unlimited DVR. I'm just waiting on a dedicated smart tv/firestick/roku app that I can use it on (I know about the whole Amazon/Google rift) because I am not a fan of "casting" to my tv. I prefer a physical remote to navigate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: