Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 09:36 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,565 times

Advertisements

If there were more teams involved, I'm sure the return would have been better. But, lets be realistic, Skinner is a limited, one-dimensional player.

Guess we will see if the youngsters pick up the slack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
No matter what, this is going to be an entirely different team taking the ice this year. Considering the outcome of the last few, that can't be a bad thing.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what this group can put together. Oh, and Williams needs to be the captain, already.
Jordan Staal is a good guy and steady.
Rod and JW are compatible, but Coach needs to handle that change in captaincy well.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:08 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Eh....
After my first outburst, I'm working my way through it.
Skinner is a scorer.
Is Skinner a winner? When?
I know that +/- is a tired metric, but -27?

I am having flashbacks of Jeff hanging out on the wrong end of the neutral zone, waiting to cherry pick while the other guys are playing 4 on 5.
And, of the excitement of him skating into a 1 on 3 time and again.
And, turning it over.
But, dang... Who projected having more fun playing hockey?
If he only would allow a trade to 4 teams, and wasn't inclined to re-sign, and the four teams weren't offering anything equivalent, and the team needed to (hate to say it) "Drain the Swamp," it was guaranteed to be painful right up front.

Ward, Skinner, Lindholm, Hanifin, Ryan, Stempniak, Nordstrom? Francis and Peters. Burning the ships to put the burden on the guys who come in to take their places.

I like the Verland and Hamilton acquisition. Martinook will go to the net. We got tougher, methinks.
I like that Darling is making an effort to show up in condition.

Svechnikov? Lots of pressure, but he has an NHL brother who will help him handle it.

Looking at the roster, it would seem that a culture change is greatly completed. Massive changes.

Section 328 podcast.... They are looking forward.
https://section328.com/podcast/goodnight-sweet-prince/

Change sometimes hurts, but we have been overdue for a shakeup, and now I am really looking forward to October to see what we have assembled.

Ok, if you're going to put it that way I guess I can get on board with it.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:57 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,247,883 times
Skinner had a No Movement Clause in his contract, there wasn't much Waddell could do here (reportedly Skinner turned down an offer to play with the LA Kings about 2 months ago). He had an awful season, was and has always been a black hole defensively, and lets not forget that he's a UFA at seasons end, you cannot lose him for nothing. I don't know if he signs with Buffalo for the long-term or not but I get what he is doing, playing alongside a guy like Jack Eichel will certainly raise your value for your next contract especially if you have a good year. Having Derek Ryan and Victor Rask as your line mates doesn't do that.

I'm underwhelmed by the return, but this was a no-win situation anyway since Skinner basically dictates where he wants to go. Perhaps if this was last summer we could've gotten more for him, but that was a different regime. It sucks to lose him because he was one of the few selling points for marketing this team since the Cup win, it also sucks that he was terrible in the defensive zone and had an NMC which drove his value down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SArPN5_DeqI

Some highlights of the prospect we picked up. This guy is on an upward trajectory, recorded 85 points in the OHL in 16/17 and 84 last year in which he was traded from the London Knights to Kingston. I believe he is now eligible for the AHL so my guess is he spends most of the year in Charlotte, which in the long run is probably not a bad idea.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Skinner had a No Movement Clause in his contract, there wasn't much Waddell could do here (reportedly Skinner turned down an offer to play with the LA Kings about 2 months ago). He had an awful season, was and has always been a black hole defensively, and lets not forget that he's a UFA at seasons end, you cannot lose him for nothing. I don't know if he signs with Buffalo for the long-term or not but I get what he is doing, playing alongside a guy like Jack Eichel will certainly raise your value for your next contract especially if you have a good year. Having Derek Ryan and Victor Rask as your line mates doesn't do that.

I'm underwhelmed by the return, but this was a no-win situation anyway since Skinner basically dictates where he wants to go. Perhaps if this was last summer we could've gotten more for him, but that was a different regime. It sucks to lose him because he was one of the few selling points for marketing this team since the Cup win, it also sucks that he was terrible in the defensive zone and had an NMC which drove his value down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SArPN5_DeqI

Some highlights of the prospect we picked up. This guy is on an upward trajectory, recorded 85 points in the OHL in 16/17 and 84 last year in which he was traded from the London Knights to Kingston. I believe he is now eligible for the AHL so my guess is he spends most of the year in Charlotte, which in the long run is probably not a bad idea.
Pu can skate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2mPufcQGs

Old 08-03-2018, 05:20 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:

Change sometimes hurts, but we have been overdue for a shakeup, and now I am really looking forward to October to see what we have assembled.
I'm not the hockey guy many of your are (or gal), but ...

Skinner was certainly soft, and I'd say his -27 was a pretty accurate portrayal.

And to think wistfully of guys like him during whose tenure we missed the playoffs totally for how many years? It's not like we're breaking up a dynasty

Old 08-04-2018, 10:22 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,565 times
Quote:

Kids development trajectory has been great. Decent size at 6'2" 190 with speed.

I know Skinner was beloved here, but I think it was a pretty good haul for a guy who was limiting the Canes options.

Like a previous poster pointed out, it wasn't like he was leading the team to deep playoff runs.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:34 PM

Default Goal Song 2018--2019?

Now we are addressing the critical elements of getting to post-season...

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/fans/...ent=1533659515

I went with "The Nights," by Avicii.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:48 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,824 times
Quote:
Now we are addressing the critical elements of getting to post-season...

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/fans/...ent=1533659515

I went with "The Nights," by Avicii.
I picked the Muse song, but Mr. Rabbitsong liked your pick. I cracked up when I saw Brass Bonanza as a choice. I have a good friend in Hartford who will post that on my FB page at least once per season!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:33 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,429,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
I picked the Muse song, but Mr. Rabbitsong liked your pick. I cracked up when I saw Brass Bonanza as a choice. I have a good friend in Hartford who will post that on my FB page at least once per season!

Please note that it's not the "traditional" Brass Bonanza but a "Techno Remix."

http://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/ass...-file/file.mp3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary