Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 05:10 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times

Advertisements

Ive had windows darker than 35% and have never been bothered. If you are obeying the law the police really don't care. I have heard Wake Forest can be a little strict about it but I haven't had any issues. We have yearly inspections and they are supposed to check your tint level. I normally just ask if they can put no tint down and it's fine (not sharing the places that have done this). My new car is now legal but thinking about adding some tint over the factory rear windows to darken it up a bit. Local tint shop said most inspection places only check the front windows so maybe 35% on those and darken the rest.

Imo NC is missing out on some cash. They could sell a tint permit. $50-$100 and you can tint what you want. All the police I have ever spoken to said tint doesn't bother them, just have your windows down when they approach the vehicle.

Law/advice:

35% is legal on all windows except windshield. It's not dark enough to give privacy but helps with light entering in and heat control.

Yearly inspections could flag your windows which means you would need to remove anything darker than 35%.

Police in the Triangle generally don't care about tint. You can be cited for it though.

I see tons of cars driving around with dark tint so a lot of people do it. It's not that big of a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 05:37 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Before tinted windows, I liked that you could look through the car in front of you to the car ahead of that one. It helped with mentally estimating braking rates as everyone slowed to a stop.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:00 AM

678 posts, read 738,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Ive had windows darker than 35% and have never been bothered. If you are obeying the law the police really don't care. I have heard Wake Forest can be a little strict about it but I haven't had any issues. We have yearly inspections and they are supposed to check your tint level. I normally just ask if they can put no tint down and it's fine (not sharing the places that have done this). My new car is now legal but thinking about adding some tint over the factory rear windows to darken it up a bit. Local tint shop said most inspection places only check the front windows so maybe 35% on those and darken the rest.

Imo NC is missing out on some cash. They could sell a tint permit. $50-$100 and you can tint what you want. All the police I have ever spoken to said tint doesn't bother them, just have your windows down when they approach the vehicle.

Law/advice:

35% is legal on all windows except windshield. It's not dark enough to give privacy but helps with light entering in and heat control.

Yearly inspections could flag your windows which means you would need to remove anything darker than 35%.

Police in the Triangle generally don't care about tint. You can be cited for it though.

I see tons of cars driving around with dark tint so a lot of people do it. It's not that big of a deal.

Huh, that tint permit is a good idea, easy money for the state

Old 04-26-2018, 07:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I once had a car with 25% all around and a very tiny sliver of very minimal tint (forget the percentage) at the top of my windshield, basically where your flaps would be if you had them down, only all the way across. I loved that and no inspector ever questioned it.

That tiny little bit of tint kept glare down in a major way and didn't impede my view of anything. I wish all cars had it.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:14 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
Tint laws very a LOT from state to state, so make sure you verify what's legal here.

I hadn't heard that police in NC are big on checking the tint levels, but a suspicion could be uses as an excuse to stop you.

I've had my car's front and side/rear tinted for years. Every year the tint level is tested during the annual inspection, for an additional $10. So getting a darker tint would just lead to you having to pull it off.

NOTE: that while it's illegal to have the front windshield "tinted", it's ok for a "window film". Actually, it just gets back to the overall tint level as measured during the inspection.

It also depends on if you're looking for the windows to be darker, for security and appearance, or (like me) are solely concerned about blocking out the sun's heat. The nano-ceramic films block about 82% of the heat, while letting in the visible amount that it's rated.
FYI: My ...
front has a heat-blocking near-clear film, "3M Crystalline 70"
rear has a cheaper, but still heat-blocking "Johnson InsulatIR 40 ceramic".

Old 04-26-2018, 08:49 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Tint laws very a LOT from state to state, so make sure you verify what's legal here.
https://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/stat...statute=20-127

Old 04-26-2018, 11:27 AM

23 posts, read 19,132 times
Quote:

Law/advice:

That's actually very good to know. We are looking at purchasing a house in Wake Forest so we'll probably remove the tint before we move just to play it safe.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:46 PM

569 posts, read 440,162 times
I would check the percentage before you waste your money getting it removed. It gets hot here in the summers and you would probably wish you had it if it was the legal level.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:16 PM

4,548 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Quote:

This tint permit would be great. Can you let the NCDOT or wherever know your idea? Quick cash for them.

There are certain tint brands and technology that appear darker but still allow the 35% light transmitted when tested with the sensor. The good owner at Triangle Window Tinting in Apex showed me the differences. They all allowed 35% light to pass inspection, but the "best" choice appeared much darker if that's what you like. It was the most expensive option however. This place does have great reviews and I've used them -definitely recommend them.

Window Tinting Service | Triangle Window Tinting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary