Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:00 AM

8 posts, read 11,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
A "Sorry" would have been the respectful and right thing to do. And a follow-up check to make sure everyone is OK.

Beyond that, nothing is owed. You put up the trampoline, and therefore assume risk. If the other boy had been injured, you probably would have heard from them. (and my response would be the same, he played on it, and therefore assumes the risk).

It would be smart of you to just make sure any kid playing on your trampoline is doing so with knowledge and permission of their parents. Some parents don't allow trampolines. If one of their kids get hurt, you MIGHT be in for a nasty experience.

Sad, but that's the way it is sometimes. At least that is my perspective.
Thanks for your reply, I just need a sincere sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueface217 View Post
Some people will never apologize, because they think it may help place blame on them in a lawsuit.
Life in the U.S.A.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:14 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
I would never put one of those things in my yard. It amazes me that people do.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:15 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
A "Sorry" would have been the respectful and right thing to do. And a follow-up check to make sure everyone is OK.

Beyond that, nothing is owed. You put up the trampoline, and therefore assume risk. If the other boy had been injured, you probably would have heard from them. (and my response would be the same, he played on it, and therefore assumes the risk).

It would be smart of you to just make sure any kid playing on your trampoline is doing so with knowledge and permission of their parents. Some parents don't allow trampolines. If one of their kids get hurt, you MIGHT be in for a nasty experience.

Sad, but that's the way it is sometimes. At least that is my perspective.

Pay attention to this.

Trampolines are dangerous and often result in injuries. Your trampoline - your problem. If you want verification on this try asking your home insurance company about getting a trampoline (they will raise your rates or drop you).

Also note that what your son told about the accident is only one side of the story. The neighbor's boy might have a different perspective.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:35 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Does your trampoline not have a net around it?

I have seen enough Fail videos on YouTube to conclude that the nets are not a fail safe way to prevent injuries.

When my daughter was younger, she broke her ankle (without falling off) when a small group was bouncing at the same time.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:47 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,212,693 times
Quote:
Two things stand out. One, the neighbor may only know your son fell off the trampoline. The neighbor was not there (I assume) and has no clue what led up to it, or even if his/her son were involved. As a parent, I wouldn't necessarily apologize if I didn't know what happened either. Now I would offer some sympathy because part of having kids is that they get injured. Part of life.

Secondly, even you don't know what happened. Your original post says "I don't know when the neighbor boy came over." I don't know how old your son is but perhaps he's lying so that his trampoline doesn't get taken away for being reckless (I'm not saying this is definitely the case). Simply stated you're looking for an apology for something that even you do not know the details of.

Please define "sincere sorry". You are asking the neighbor to apologize on behalf of someone else? That's not sincere, that's placating someone whining over something that could have been avoided (read up on the dangers of trampolines).

That's not to minimize that your son was injured, and I do offer my sympathy over the situation. I have a son, and yes he got injured in accidents.

This is a classic case of making a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:54 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
You may want to make it a rule that only one bouncer at a time is allowed on the trampoline. Your son and his friends will have to take turns. It doesn't eliminate risk of injury, but it does lower the risk.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:58 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
I am sure they know.
My husband was out of USA, one of neighbors helped me taking care of my daughter for a whole night when I went to Emergency, the sencond day, my daughter told me, she saw this neighbor telling the boy's father when I was in hospital.
While your neighbor may have known about your child's injury, they may not have known about their own child's involvement. I often intend to reach out to neighbors for a variety of reasons but don't find a convenient opportunity, and where I live you need to plan to see your neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I would never put one of those things in my yard. It amazes me that people do.
We had one for nearly ten years without incident and my boys loved it, particularly my younger one. We had netting, we enforced some basic rules and were careful who was allowed to use it and when (it was off limits during holiday and team events as the grownups were distracted and there were too many wildcard elements to manage).

Old 06-14-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Some people will never apologize, because they think it may help place blame on them in a lawsuit.
Life in the U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Two things stand out. One, the neighbor may only know your son fell off the trampoline. The neighbor was not there (I assume) and has no clue what led up to it, or even if his/her son were involved. As a parent, I wouldn't necessarily apologize if I didn't know what happened either. Now I would offer some sympathy because part of having kids is that they get injured. Part of life.

Secondly, even you don't know what happened. Your original post says "I don't know when the neighbor boy came over." I don't know how old your son is but perhaps he's lying so that his trampoline doesn't get taken away for being reckless (I'm not saying this is definitely the case). Simply stated you're looking for an apology for something that even you do not know the details of.

Please define "sincere sorry". You are asking the neighbor to apologize on behalf of someone else? That's not sincere, that's placating someone whining over something that could have been avoided (read up on the dangers of trampolines).

That's not to minimize that your son was injured, and I do offer my sympathy over the situation. I have a son, and yes he got injured in accidents.

This is a classic case of making a mountain out of a molehill.
Thanks for your reply.
I gave the details in my pre-replies.
My son is almost 5 years old, her son is 11 years old, and my daughter is 8, two of neighbors kids are 6, 8, they all saw the neighbor boy hit my son. And one of neighbors knew I went to emergency, and he helped me taking care of my daughter for a whole night when I was in the hospital, and my daughter saw this neighbor telling the boy's father what happened.
And I don't think it is a moutain out of a molehill.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You may want to make it a rule that only one bouncer at a time is allowed on the trampoline. Your son and his friends will have to take turns. It doesn't eliminate risk of injury, but it does lower the risk.
Thanks for your reminder. I will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary