Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
I'm new to the area and like to do a little birding from time to time. I spent a bit of time in NY chasing after bald eagles, but where I was at they were pretty far out usually. I've got some very high end photography equipment that I'd be bringing on the trip. With this trail being closed, do you think its safe to go up there?
The bird watch area is part of the state park. The issue they with cruising hopefully has been resolved since it a decade old issue.

It cant hurt to drive to this location and see if there a gate or not. Just take the upper trail in the parking lot and not the lower trail.
Btw is a great kayaking spot for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 07:21 AM

238 posts, read 668,961 times
Default They are definitely making a comeback

I have seen several while driving on the Interstate in PA. They are an amazing site to see.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:22 AM

502 posts, read 1,739,791 times
Cool, I'll have to give it a try one day. I have a monster lens that I'll bring along that can do a pretty good job on birds that are out a ways. In NY, it was very hard to get within a mile of a bald eagle in the wild. My wife and I were on vacation in Sanibel Island, FL, and while on a little cruise we had a bald eagle fly by at about 20' off the water and about 40-50' away from the boat. It happened so quick, and he was moving so fast that I'm sure no one got a shot of him. But he just flew on down the waterway at that height. In NY they'd usually be so high up in the air all the time and where they fished were always in spots that you couldn't really get to at all.

This was the best eagle shot I've gotten... but it was at a bird sanctuary. The big guy had an injured wing. THis was also shot through a chainlink fence.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:46 AM

337 posts, read 1,138,131 times
Quote:
With this trail being closed, do you think its safe to go up there?
Certainly no physical danger. I think the trail is still used by birders. You could probably go there a dozen times and see nothing but eagles, but that thirteenth time .

Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post
Certainly no physical danger. I think the trail is still used by birders. You could probably go there a dozen times and see nothing but eagles, but that thirteenth time .

OK... well my camera/lens/pod combo is about 25 pounds or so. I can always use it as a weapon if anyone tries to mess with me...

Old 04-01-2008, 09:03 AM

337 posts, read 1,138,131 times
A simple, "sorry man that's not my thing" should be more than sufficient.
How far were you from the eagle in the pic?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Quote:
I'm new to the area and like to do a little birding from time to time. I spent a bit of time in NY chasing after bald eagles, but where I was at they were pretty far out usually. I've got some very high end photography equipment that I'd be bringing on the trip. With this trail being closed, do you think its safe to go up there?
If you really want to get up close, rent a canoe. Park on the southwest side of the bridge where 751 crosses the lake, and you'll find a trail that leads down the lake. I typically paddle out to the large stand of dead trees you'll see in the middle of the lake (this is about even with the observation platform), and then go across the lake to the north of the lake. Takes about 30 min. Then paddle along the north shore, and turn north up into the arm that enters the main stem of the lake. You'll see the bald eagles feeding along the north shore, and in the canoe can get pretty close when they rest in the trees.

If you go about an hour before sunset and stay till sunset, you'll likely see at least a dozen eagles. Typically motor traffic will be low by this time, making the trip less choppy.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post
A simple, "sorry man that's not my thing" should be more than sufficient.
How far were you from the eagle in the pic?
Yeh... and if I have a camera then they would probably know that right away. I was probably 100' from the eagle in the picture. I could get closer, but the lens I had required me to get that far back. Like I said, he was captive, so I was shooting through a fence. By making the depth of focus narrow, the fence disappears from the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
If you really want to get up close, rent a canoe. Park on the southwest side of the bridge where 751 crosses the lake, and you'll find a trail that leads down the lake. I typically paddle out to the large stand of dead trees you'll see in the middle of the lake (this is about even with the observation platform), and then go across the lake to the north of the lake. Takes about 30 min. Then paddle along the north shore, and turn north up into the arm that enters the main stem of the lake. You'll see the bald eagles feeding along the north shore, and in the canoe can get pretty close when they rest in the trees.

If you go about an hour before sunset and stay till sunset, you'll likely see at least a dozen eagles. Typically motor traffic will be low by this time, making the trip less choppy.
I have a canoe actually, but I'm not sure I want to take my photography gear in it. It is exciting to know about this spot. I'll definitely be checking it out... probably with and without the canoe. I love eagles and shooting them in the wild is a challenge. I've seen pictures of them from Alaska and its amazing that there are so many of them feeding on salmon that they look almost like seagulls. In NY they were almost always alone, and one eagle can cover a lot of miles making it hard to find them.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Default Eagles, and eagles, and eagles. . . oh my!

My husband and I love the bald eagles too, and have been quite lucky to see several since we moved to the area almost three years ago now.

We frequent the State park over at Jordan Lake. There is a nice group of dog walkers who meet on Saturday mornings, and traverse with the animals through the woods there. The worst we ever ran across were a couple of nude sunbathers who were actually trekking through the woods, along the trails, butt-naked. I tried not to stare, but it was awkward at best staring at a pair of Air Jordans, or *whatever* they were, on their feet. The dog walkers are a bit put-out that the parking lot has been closed, and they are all having to park along the highway. There was talk of drug trafficking?

We have spotted eagles at the lake -- best to go close to sunrise and sunset -- and the idea of getting a canoe or kayak to do the bird-watching is an excellent one. We have also spotted bald eagles at Crabtree Lake just off I40 at Exit 285. They will sit in the tops of the trees at the back of the lake, about where the kayak-ers put the boats in, across from the ramp.

Like you, I could not believe my eyes, and just about wrecked the little convertible when I spotted two overhead one afternoon. I just pulled over to the side of the road, and watched them fly over the body of water in my neighborhood. I'm not sure but what there isn't a nest in one of the tall trees.

You may also espy some other large birds of prey. We often see other beautiful hawks, too.

Happy bird-watching.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:31 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Thumbs up once in a lifetime!

It is an event you will remember for the rest of your life if you are seeing one. The size and majesty of it is an awesome sight. I saw one fly overhead at my father's funeral 20 years ago and I immediatly became at peace with what I was dealing with. It is no wonder the native people and our own nation attach special meaning to them. good luck, try to get a photo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary