Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 01:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
OP here. I just decided to renew online. The reason is that since NC is a "compliant" state, there is no real benefit to me for getting the RealID now. This way, I can drive legally, and have until October 2020 to get my RealID. I'll come back on here between now and 2020, and see what people are experiencing at the various centers. Most likely, I'll go to a rural town when the time comes for me to finally get the new ID.

Thanks everyone!
Or just make an appointment now that you have time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 01:59 PM

466 posts, read 700,731 times
Man those DMV lines in September 2020 are going to be something fierce.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:03 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
So...if i have a flight scheduled on the day my current license expires in about 3 months (true story....it's also my 30th birthday...yikes); and I renew my current license before then online....I'll be OK at the airport?

I do have a passport too so I guess I can bring that just in case.

Yes it's not till 2020.

i got my DD a passport this summer and that process was easy peasy at the NC State passport office and we were in and out in 10 minutes. if I had to get a REAL ID now I think I would just get a regular license renewed online and get a passport.

If your flight is not coming home and you'll be flying with an expired license, i would re-think that depending on where you'r going to be going through the TSA checkpoint. RDU TSA is like Mayberry compared to, say, they NYC airports.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:07 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes it's not till 2020.

i got my DD a passport this summer and that process was easy peasy at the NC State passport office and we were in and out in 10 minutes. if I had to get a REAL ID now I think I would just get a regular license renewed online and get a passport.

If your flight is not coming home and you'll be flying with an expired license, i would re-think that depending on where you'r going to be going through the TSA checkpoint. RDU TSA is like Mayberry compared to, say, they NYC airports.
Flying to CA on Monday (expiration date...and my bday!), flying home Friday. Plan is to renew license before the trip. I just wanted to make sure if I did renew online and didn't get a "RealID"....TSA wouldn't have their way with me.

Sounds like I'm in the clear! Thanks!

Old 08-21-2018, 02:11 PM

85 posts, read 94,615 times
[quote=twingles;52866265]Yes it's not till 2020.

i got my DD a passport this summer and that process was easy peasy at the NC State passport office and we were in and out in 10 minutes. if I had to get a REAL ID now I think I would just get a regular license renewed online and get a passport./QUOTE]

Thank you for this! My DD just started at NC State and needs to update her passport. I had no idea there was an office on campus.

(Apparently, I don't know how to quote another poster in the proper format...)

Old 08-21-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
Man those DMV lines in September 2020 are going to be something fierce.
Maybe...maybe not...you only need an upgraded license if you fly and don't have a passport, global entry card or other form of government ID. Plus, they've successfully scared lots of folks to get a new license prior to that date.

I'm guessing a big function of the long lines here are the incredible amount of people moving here daily. Back ten years ago we were in and out in about 45 mins. Including that stupid test ! But that was a bad time in the economy and not a lot was happening.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:21 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
So...if i have a flight scheduled on the day my current license expires in about 3 months (true story....it's also my 30th birthday...yikes); and I renew my current license before then online....I'll be OK at the airport?

I do have a passport too so I guess I can bring that just in case.
Technically, the TSA doesn't accept temporary paper IDs (which is what you get in the time between renewing online and actually receiving your license in the mail a couple weeks later). You may want to go ahead and renew your license now so that you won't be trying to travel with a temporary ID.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:21 PM

FYI I got my NC online rewnewed license in the mail in under ten days...it was very fast.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:22 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Technically, the TSA doesn't accept temporary paper IDs (which is what you get in the time between renewing online and actually receiving your license in the mail a couple weeks later). You may want to go ahead and renew your license now so that you won't be trying to travel with a temporary ID.
THAT is helpful information.

I do suffer from chronic procrastinatis so I surely would have tried to renew at the last minute and been SOL.

haha.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:23 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeval View Post

Thank you for this! My DD just started at NC State and needs to update her passport. I had no idea there was an office on campus.
And it's one of the passport offices where you can make an appointment online. https://global.ncsu.edu/our-units/passport/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: