Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:10 PM

319 posts, read 255,735 times

Advertisements

In my Triangle relocation quest, I've reserached several new developments within my price/parmeter range (230K and under, garage, under 1800 sq ft, within 30 minutes of DT Raleigh).

In this search, particulary in the Clayton area, these three builders seem to offer more house for the money. However, upon closer exam, some troubling revelations have come up:

Express Homes (Division of DR Horton): I visited their Meadows development in Flowers Plantation, attracted to the ranch models 3/2/2 with about 1500 sq ft for the 220's . Flowers is a great area so this seemed like an awesome deal...until I visited a completed model. I am not construction expert but Iwas shocked at the obvious shoddy workmanship. There were half dollar sized holes in the drywall, door jams crooked, loose doors, and a host of other things. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

Smith Douglas Homes: I did not visit any of their models but some online reviews have been particularly scathing; citing poor quality and worse yet, poor follow up and remediation after the sale. It's a shame because they also have some attractively priced homes in their Whitfield homes in Flowers (starting in the 180's).

One 27 Homes: Similar issues here as well; numerous poor reviews. Their Parkview development has several complaints regarding poor drainage from faulty grading along with various other defects and nuisance cosmetic issues.

I've been in contact with several realtors who've been mostly very helpful but I can't seem to get straight answers about specific bulders and their reputation. I understand bulding homes is a multi-layered process involving lots of parts and people and there are bound to be mistakes from time to time, that's understandable. (In fact, I'm told that most prominent factor in construction quality is the superintendent of the project).

But I don't want to purchase from an outfit that, as a matter of practice, just throws up houses as quickly and possible with low regard for quality. I expect low-frills from a budget home, but not something that's poorly built.

I realize that online reviews can skew reality since unhappy customers are 10 times as likely to write in than satisfied owners, so I would like to know from those who are familiar with the industry in general, and these builders particular, the real story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 08:48 PM

105 posts, read 101,331 times
Did you look at a model home or one actually completed and on the market? Model homes are usually unfit to live in at many of these communities and was built for nothing more than to show off options. Many times the "granite" counter-tops are particle board, carpeting not padded, lower-grade drywall etc.

See if they'll let you take a look at a home that's near completion or in the closing process and you'll get a better idea of the actual build quality. Better yet, take a look at an existing home in that community that may be for sale and you'll get an idea of how they hold up once they've been lived in.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDevil View Post
Did you look at a model home or one actually completed and on the market? Model homes are usually unfit to live in at many of these communities and was built for nothing more than to show off options. Many times the "granite" counter-tops are particle board, carpeting not padded, lower-grade drywall etc.

See if they'll let you take a look at a home that's near completion or in the closing process and you'll get a better idea of the actual build quality. Better yet, take a look at an existing home in that community that may be for sale and you'll get an idea of how they hold up once they've been lived in.
Yes, it was an actual home for sale, not a model.

But even with model homes, they eventually sell those, right? So I would assume that they should be fit to inhabit.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:54 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
If the finish work is poor, consider that the underlying bones may well be punk, too.
Have your agent walk through framed houses with you and look at the workmanship.
Look in the permit boxes and see how many times the municipal inspectors have failed the builder on inspection.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:13 AM

105 posts, read 101,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
Yes, it was an actual home for sale, not a model.

But even with model homes, they eventually sell those, right? So I would assume that they should be fit to inhabit.
Yeah that's not a good sign then.

The model homes don't always go up for sale and sometimes end up being the community office, or only sell after all the other plots are sold off, and gets refurbished before going on market. The idea is you're going to have people walking in and out and touring the model home for the duration of the build phases, and you don't want the expensive stuff damaged in the process.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If the finish work is poor, consider that the underlying bones may well be punk, too.
Have your agent walk through framed houses with you and look at the workmanship.
Look in the permit boxes and see how many times the municipal inspectors have failed the builder on inspection.
Are there certain builders that have a poor track record or is it hit or miss with them all?

Old 08-31-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
Are there certain builders that have a poor track record or is it hit or miss with them all?
There's nothing for free.
You are looking at the lowest price rungs on the ladder.
They pay the same for materials as anyone else, and the same for land and lots.

The savings have to come from somewhere, and that will be in labor pricing (cheaper labor usually is lower skill) and building as close to minimum code as they can sell.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:34 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
OP. I live in a fairly inexpensive community in NE Raleigh. Recently I went and toured some new homes, some with starting ranges in the 250's the others in the low 400's, right up the street. My home when originally built 15 years ago was 150k. Value now around 225k +/-.

Maybe it was just those builders but I did not notice much higher quality craftsmanship in the higher priced homes. In the 250k community I felt it was mostly junky materials. The 400k home had only been up a year to tour but the carpet was already worn out. Cracks and nail pops in the drywall all over. The caulking on the trim was subpar and already discolored. They used wire shelving throughout the home. Quite frankly it screamed "temporary" in that you would be replacing most of it in a few years. I dunno, I just wasn't impressed at all. Really what you were getting for more money is space.

Some builders are different. Some build smaller higher end homes, but they are a rarity. IMO most builders build to code. Or from what I have seen. Unless you pay more to exceed it (not many do).

Your best bet for quality is to find an older home and redo it yourself. It will cost less and be far higher quality.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:51 AM

322 posts, read 384,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
OP. I live in a fairly inexpensive community in NE Raleigh. Recently I went and toured some new homes, some with starting ranges in the 250's the others in the low 400's, right up the street. My home when originally built 15 years ago was 150k. Value now around 225k +/-.

Maybe it was just those builders but I did not notice much higher quality craftsmanship in the higher priced homes. In the 250k community I felt it was mostly junky materials. The 400k home had only been up a year to tour but the carpet was already worn out. Cracks and nail pops in the drywall all over. The caulking on the trim was subpar and already discolored. They used wire shelving throughout the home. Quite frankly it screamed "temporary" in that you would be replacing most of it in a few years. I dunno, I just wasn't impressed at all. Really what you were getting for more money is space.

Some builders are different. Some build smaller higher end homes, but they are a rarity. IMO most builders build to code. Or from what I have seen. Unless you pay more to exceed it (not many do).

Your best bet for quality is to find an older home and redo it yourself. It will cost less and be far higher quality.
Agreed. Warning though, redoing the older home will not be easy, be sure to have lots of patience build up ahead of time :-D. I'm in the middle of redoing a 1968 ranch style home, repairing electrical and plumbing at the moment.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

A minimum code home is a truly ugly thing. Most builders will exceed code requirements in some manner or other, in areas that they know will avoid predictable service and quality issues.
And, sometimes, it is labor-saving to exceed code requirements. Purchased components vs. built on-site components in some instances.

Jim Walter Homes built "to code." Not a penny over. Pull out every bit of material possible. Ugly as home-made sin.

It is wildly easy to spot differences between cheap work and less cheap work and good custom work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary