Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 AM

13,733 posts, read 12,547,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'd say a pool is detrimental, but I'm old and have no kids. Being able to swim 3 months out of the year doesn't justify the cost and maintenance, IMO.

When we lived in Phoenix, the VAST majority of homes over $300K had a pool. The accepted fact is that it would cost you $35-75K to put it in, and you got $10K on your sales price when you sold the house, documented by appraisals.
To be fair, you get well over three months a year of use. Closer to six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Can we talk liability next? No thanks!
Eh...Its like a boat. Or a big outdoor living room area. You either want one, or you don't. If you want one, and can afford it, do it. If not, don't. Don't obsess about value down the line. I wouldn't want one because of the space it takes up. Someone else might see that as less lawn to mow.

I agree with MikeJaquish that they tend not to be well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 09:49 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,599,080 times
As a mom I wouldn’t want one. Too many stories about kids drowning and while my son is old enough and can swim I do have friends with babies and such. Plus it’s a lot of maintenance when I can just join a swim club and use city pools for exercise.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:50 AM

426 posts, read 466,583 times
Ah, the annual pool hate thread, my favorite. We tried to find a house with a pool and couldn't a suitable one when we moved. We ended with a house with a suitable lot, and put a small pool in. When hunting, we found only one with a pool, and it was randomly floating in the middle of the lot, surrounded by grass. It made no sense.

In our small neighborhood, probably 15 or 20 percent of the houses have pools. 4-5 more have gone in during the last 2-3 years, so apparently we aren't alone. Our neighborhood does not have a community pool, which we wouldn't use anyway if it had one.

FYI - Our pool had zero impact on the cost of our general liability policy, or our umbrella policy. The huge liability expense adder is used right up there with the huge maintenance discussion as common misconceptions with modern pools.

We had zero concern with the financial ROI on the pool. Will we get something for it, maybe, but only a fraction of the install cost. It was not a factor in the decision at all. No different than a boat, a race car, a plane, pick your expensive money pit hobby.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:12 AM

43,501 posts, read 77,499,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
Ah, the annual pool hate thread, my favorite. We tried to find a house with a pool and couldn't a suitable one when we moved. We ended with a house with a suitable lot, and put a small pool in. When hunting, we found only one with a pool, and it was randomly floating in the middle of the lot, surrounded by grass. It made no sense.

In our small neighborhood, probably 15 or 20 percent of the houses have pools. 4-5 more have gone in during the last 2-3 years, so apparently we aren't alone. Our neighborhood does not have a community pool, which we wouldn't use anyway if it had one.

FYI - Our pool had zero impact on the cost of our general liability policy, or our umbrella policy. The huge liability expense adder is used right up there with the huge maintenance discussion as common misconceptions with modern pools.

We had zero concern with the financial ROI on the pool. Will we get something for it, maybe, but only a fraction of the install cost. It was not a factor in the decision at all. No different than a boat, a race car, a plane, pick your expensive money pit hobby.

Yup.
But, smart approach, to do it for you. I pop about $5700/year for hockey season tix. Choices, choices...

And, yup again.
The pools out in the middle of a mud yard always make me wonder who thought that was a good idea...

Old 04-09-2019, 10:32 AM

426 posts, read 466,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I pop about $5700/year for hockey season tix. Choices, choices...
The ROI on that investment hasn't been great the last few years......but maybe this year?

Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,321,030 times
I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this is a repeat.

I think putting in a pool here is a big deal here due to HOA's, small lots, limits to impervious areas, etc, which is why you don't see them as often. I'd consider them neutral as far as value goes. Personally I wouldn't pass up a pool if there was one in the backyard of a house I wanted otherwise. I used to have a pool and people severely overestimate the amount of work it is to maintain one. It *can* get pricey though.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:47 AM

43,501 posts, read 77,499,749 times
Quote:
The ROI on that investment hasn't been great the last few years......but maybe this year?

This year is fun, fer sherr,

Old 04-11-2019, 08:16 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,602,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
As a mom I wouldn’t want one. Too many stories about kids drowning and while my son is old enough and can swim I do have friends with babies and such. Plus it’s a lot of maintenance when I can just join a swim club and use city pools for exercise.

Even though all this is true the numbers of kids drowning in a private pool are extremely low compared to the number of kids killed in car crashes because their parent was an idiot because they were either staring at the phone or intoxicated which, to me, is the same.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:39 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,431,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Lol. Do you wrap him in bubble wrap before he goes outside?

People that say "pools are too much maintenance" You can tell they don't have experience with them.

Quote:

All great points.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:49 AM

20 posts, read 26,075 times
Quote:

Exactly the same reason we put our pool in 6 years ago. Same situation and thought process.

Agree too with the usual liability and maintenance costs. No real impact on our insurance and maintenance costs and time are very minimal. Its a blip on the electric bill in the summer compared to your AC units running. Chemicals and supplies run me less than $150 a season. I compare a pool to a cat....you can leave it alone for a week or leave town but at least check on it occasionally.

We wouldn't ever not have one now. But to each their own, we are outside people and others may not be. Its all where you wish to put your money and enjoyment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: