Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 05:59 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times

Advertisements

A true hoarder wouldn't give away a toilet wand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 06:11 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
We get a lot of people that call the police over what they consider to be suspicious cars, ring doorbell videos, people walking down the street, etc. I think it's good to be aware but you don't need to call the cops just because someone is driving slow down your street. Everything is always "casing" on Nextdoor.
The ring doorbell videos have gotten annoying. I use Blink cameras at my house and they're affiliated with Ring via Amazon. I got a notification to download the Ring app to get info on local "crimes" from people posting their ring videos.

It's day in/day out "unknown person ringing doorbell" or "person taking a picture of their car at night - weird!" or some other random garbage.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:28 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
The ring doorbell videos have gotten annoying. I use Blink cameras at my house and they're affiliated with Ring via Amazon. I got a notification to download the Ring app to get info on local "crimes" from people posting their ring videos.

It's day in/day out "unknown person ringing doorbell" or "person taking a picture of their car at night - weird!" or some other random garbage.
A lot of times the Ring videos are pointless videos, but many aren’t. I uploaded one of two guys who came to my door for a fundraiser. I won’t go into the whole story, but it felt wrong. Sure enough someone had posted another video hours earlier of just one of the guys and this time it wasn’t a fund raiser but selling a product. Smart home tech is going to be the end of these types of scammers. Then again, I’m one of the few who opens my door, most people wisely do not. After this incident, I’ll be speaking to strangers thought the Ring only.

Next door gets pretty petty on issues other than recommendations or selling items. Cliques form and it’s junior high all over again.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:11 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Next door gets pretty petty on issues other than recommendations or selling items. Cliques form and it’s junior high all over again.
Can't blame the platform, it happens everywhere people congregate. It's a human problem not a technology issue. My mother was telling me some of the stories of her/my father's social set back in the day when I was a kid. There were no personal computers or smartphones or social media. Lots of petty B.S., mostly instigated by a few, but very Jr. High & High School level.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:33 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I've not read this entire thread.

I'm a moderator at NextDoor. At least 4 posts a day have to be deleted - mostly because people are using their personal accounts promoting or advertising their own business. Totally against the TOS because that's how NextDoor makes its money - selling those sponsored posts that sell the same services.

But there are plenty of other reasons that posts are deleted, and occasionally members lose their posting privileges. It can and does get ugly.

The value or toxicity of NextDoor is entirely dependent on how well a neighborhood is moderated. Which is a huge flaw, IMO.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:33 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
A true hoarder wouldn't give away a toilet wand.
True maybe they are "hoarders in training". Some of the stuff people try to sell and give away....

Old 06-07-2019, 07:40 AM

4,341 posts, read 2,227,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've not read this entire thread.

I'm a moderator at NextDoor. At least 4 posts a day have to be deleted - mostly because people are using their personal accounts promoting or advertising their own business. Totally against the TOS because that's how NextDoor makes its money - selling those sponsored posts that sell the same services.

But there are plenty of other reasons that posts are deleted, and occasionally members lose their posting privileges. It can and does get ugly.

The value or toxicity of NextDoor is entirely dependent on how well a neighborhood is moderated. Which is a huge flaw, IMO.
NextDoor has some pretty perplexing policies as well.

Such as regular users have the ability to move other people's posts to other 'categories'.

A post made in the General section can get moved to Recommendations by someone other than the OP - some of these moves are "WTH" - how is that post considered a "recommendation"? Happens all the time.

Or - posters have the ability to delete their own threads or posts. So, you get 'hit and run' posters.

And some people just...do...not...understand the concept of a forum; so they delete their post after their question has been answered 'to save space'????? And so the topic is lost to everyone as a way to search for something similar.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:05 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
My favorite type of post is "Waah! Poor me! I parked my car on the street. I forgot to lock it and someone stole the wallet, cell phone and laptop I had left in the car. How could people be so awful?"

All I can think when I read this type of post is "You moron! Why would you leave such valuables in your car - locked or unlocked? ". I once posted a more polite version of that and got piled on for "blaming the victim".

Old 06-07-2019, 08:07 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Maybe my neighborhood is tame in comparison, or the Leads are doing their job, or it doesn't bother me that much but I don't see many things that upset or annoy me there.

There's more cattiness on C-D than I've seen on Nextdoor and I'm on both daily.

Although there was a thread about a guy complaining about a business in the area. Then the person in question from the business got onto Nextdoor and they had a back-and-forth for a while.

Other than that, the most replied to thread was about someone who photographed a non-venomous snake and since no one replied to identify it in 10 minutes, killed it just in case. Lots of arguing about that one.

I hired someone on Nextdoor to do a job at my house and was really happy with his service. I wrote him a nice recommendation and a lot of people contacted him for work, so everybody won.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:09 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Maybe my neighborhood is tame in comparison, or the Leads are doing their job, or it doesn't bother me that much but I don't see many things that upset or annoy me there.

There's more cattiness on C-D than I've seen on Nextdoor and I'm on both daily.

Although there was a thread about a guy complaining about a business in the area. Then the person in question from the business got onto Nextdoor and they had a back-and-forth for a while.

Other than that, the most replied to thread was about someone who photographed a non-venomous snake and since no one replied to identify it in 10 minutes, killed it just in case. Lots of arguing about that one.

I hired someone on Nextdoor to do a job at my house and was really happy with his service. I wrote him a nice recommendation and a lot of people contacted him for work, so everybody won.

Well, I think it may have been an error to open up my NextDoor to a bazillion surrounding neighborhoods and many thousands of people whom I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary